• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 03/09

MadMadWorld

Date(s) Skied: March 9, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Magic Mountain

Conditions: Spring

Trip Report: Was granted a reprieve from the wife and kids to get a day of skiing by myself and I couldn't have picked a better day. They had picked up 6-8 of snow from the storm on Thursday/Friday but it had gotten packed down from the sun and 50 degree temps. Started off the day on Magician. It was in better condition then I anticipated but it got skied off pretty quickly.

For my second and third run I hit up Goniff and Twighlight. Both were in fantastic shape and showed no signs at all of a thin base until you got to the very bottom.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882680.672456.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882719.687860.jpg

After that I headed to Green Line. A fun trail that often gets passed by. It had great cover as usual.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882808.998273.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882828.826193.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882971.588788.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362882971.588788.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 123

MadMadWorld

Once I started feeling warmed up I headed to my favorite tree shots (no idea on the names). I spent most of my times skiing these..

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362883098.592892.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362883116.445316.jpg

I was kind of bummed that Red Line was closed for tomorrows comp and Black Line was starting to look ugly. I spent most of the AM on the Black Chair and scouted out to see whether Black Magic was skiable or not. Some spots looked ugly but the landings had plenty of snow so I picked my line in advance and gave it a go. It was surprisingly good and I ended up skiing it 3 times. I can understand why it was closed though, if someone went off skiers left of the second cliff it could have ended badly. I really love the people at Magic. Every time I skied it people were cheering me on and telling me which line I should ski. That trail really gets your heart pumping and has to be one of the top 3 hardest marked trails in the east.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1362883557.396863.jpg

xwhaler

Nice, I was at Magic today....best day of the season! Started out fast and firm when we got on Red at 9:45 at 25 degrees. By 11:30 it was in the upper 30's and starting to be amazing.
Stopped for lunch and a beer and the afternoon was full on SPRING!----skied until just after 3. Hit everything you did except for Black Magic. Magician was in rough shape...I had never skied that trail so just wanted to try it since it doesn't open....coverage was fine but it was the icy water flows both sides all the way down that made it tough.
Green line ws pretty good....Slide of Hans was great and Glade of the day was Twilight Zone. The snowmaking runs are in great shape...Talisman was spectacular early afternoon once the sun got on it.
Really enjoy Magic...long day trip East to West but well worth it.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I was kind of bummed that Red Line was closed for tomorrows comp and Black Line was starting to look ugly. I spent most of the AM on the Black Chair and scouted out to see whether Black Magic was skiable or not. Some spots looked ugly but the landings had plenty of snow so I picked my line in advance and gave it a go. It was surprisingly good and I ended up skiing it 3 times. I can understand why it was closed though, if someone went off skiers left of the second cliff it could have ended badly. I really love the people at Magic. Every time I skied it people were cheering me on and telling me which line I should ski. That trail really gets your heart pumping and has to be one of the top 3 hardest marked trails in the east.

View attachment 8151

Is your heart pumpin cause you know you're gonna die?

jrmagic

Nice! Was good to see everyone having a blast. Even though I couldnt ski I thoroughly enjoyed Magic beach! Awesome to see a "line" for black with red running at 10 am. Also goo to see tje ski club from Albany(I think) have some crazy races and hang in the bar en masse till after 7. The bar was rockin!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The first year they opened Kinsman Glade and Tramline, they had a pair of bamboo with a half dozen warning circles on each, both had skull and crossbones. It was hilarious. I wish I had taken a picture.