• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 1/30/2009

bvibert

Staff member
Great job with the video Greg, and Gary for shooting some of it.

I had a great time skiing with you guys yesterday, especially after lunch when I figured out how to ski again.

Nice video. You can tell its gona be good from the opening shot of the parking lot.:p
And I thought you guys just skied bumps.:spread:

That's Gary's car, we got there about a half hour after him (8:30) and were the 5th car in the lot. When we stopped for lunch around 11 that lot was more or less full.

We keep trying to tell you people that we ski more than just bumps, but nobody believes us. ;)

Can't believe the lack of people there. No wonder they can't afford a weed whacker :wink:.

I think they purposely leave those weeds on Magician to help hold the snow there.

What was up with that lift around the 3 minute mark? Is that a new lift? I didn't see a haul rope or chairs.

That's a work in progress. Some towers don't even have sheave assemblies on them, I think the one in the video only had sheaves on one side. I don't know if it's a new install that never got finished, or if it's a refurb. Either way I think the current management is putting off it's completion until they're able to finish off some more important projects.

I was there on Thursday & the lower parking lot was full by 10:00. That was technically the powder day from Wednesday's storm so Billski's right on that point. The conditions are great at Magic right now. They were even fresher on Thursday. I'll post some pics from Thursday later.

Sorry I missed you guys on Thursday. Looks like you must have had pretty good conditions.

When I was at Magic last weekend, I had a chairlift conversation with a guy who owns a condo there. He implied that the present owner is in financial dire straits and that there is some question as to whether they'll be open next season.

Unfortunately I think that's the case every year since they reopened. While I appreciate the lack of crowds when I go there it saddens me that it could mean the demise of the place too.

Greg

Staff member
And I thought you guys just skied seeded bumps.:spread:

Fixed it for ya. :lol: I ski bumps a lot so I can ski the stuff found at places like Magic, with some semblance of skill, or at least not killing myself. ;) I love skiing zipperline bumps, but I'll take picking my way down gnarly terrain over moguls any day. I learned yesterday that I'm a sucky tree skier though.

Awesome vid! Looks they have some nice terrain there. I need to head up there some time.

Best terrain in SoVT bar none. The video does none of those pitches any justice. Definitely worth a visit. Now is a good time. ;)

greg @ 1:55 mark tearing up Goniff, very nice!

Thanks Gary. Trick photography maybe? :lol: I felt pretty good on that run. The first 4 or 5 runs after lunch was when I got everything dialed.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like a fun time yesterday! Nice job on the vid, Greg! :beer:

I have not been to Magic before but I'm planning on it in a few weeks. Can't wait!

twinplanx

Fixed it for ya. :lol: I ski bumps a lot so I can ski the stuff found at places like Magic, with some semblance of skill, or at least not killing myself. ;) I love skiing zipperline bumps, but I'll take picking my way down gnarly terrain over moguls any day. I learned yesterday that I'm a sucky tree skier though.

You guys seemed to hold it down in there. No worse than myself on a bump run.:daffy::beer:

Best terrain in SoVT bar none. The video does none of those pitches any justice. Definitely worth a visit. Now is a good time. ;)

Why is that? I never really believed that until I saw some video I made. Than was like "No really guyz its much steeper than that." :dunce: Makes you me wonder how steep that stuff must be when it looks steep on TV

Thanks Gary. Trick photography maybe? :lol: I felt pretty good on that run. The first 4 or 5 runs after lunch was when I got everything dialed.

Trick photography(or some creative editing) would have been Greg stompin the landing:razz::daffy::beer:

Greg

Staff member
Trick photography(or some creative editing) would have been Greg stompin the landing:razz::daffy::beer:

Wish I thought of that. :) I hit that little drop again later in the afternoon from a different angle and stuck it. :lol: I had some great runs on Redline, only stopping a few times to quickly catch my breath. I love that run.

bvibert

Staff member
I had some great runs on Redline, only stopping a few times to quickly catch my breath. I love that run.

While you were stopping only a few times to catch your breath I was stopping a bunch of times gasping for air. ;)

Brewbeer

I almost took up the advice offered by "that guy" to go to Okemo, but I stuck to the plan and went to Magic.

It was awesome. The conditions were prime, even if the untracked in the woods was a bit heavy.

A few of the most memorable runs for us were Slide of Hans, Green Line, and a couple through the Hallows. But everything was great. Even the steepest of the steeps have plenty of coverage and jump turns were no ice - no problem.

Magic is truly a jem. If the conditions are good, Magic is just awesome.

wa-loaf

When I was at Magic last weekend, I had a chairlift conversation with a guy who owns a condo there. He implied that the present owner is in financial dire straits and that there is some question as to whether they'll be open next season.

Either they do have some cash on hand or it's an act of desperation, but they have been advertising in the Boston area pretty heavily.

skidmarks

Nice work

Great work Guys! Haven't skied Magic since it re-opened but plan to this season.
After seeing your video I'm kicking myself that I didn't go there instead of Okemo this past Friday.

We went to Okemo to Race Train but it's such a blah place. And as it turns out they cancelled our Speed Training anyway www.twist-racing.com. Okemo is like any other chain place, safe but never exciting or very good. However that makes your epic day at Magic that much better and mine okay at best.

Greg's Redline cliff jump was great even if he didn't stick the landing! Next time.