• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Thu-Sun Operating Schedule

bobbutts

From today's Magic update.
For the 2013-14 season we will be moving to a Thursday-Sunday regular operating schedule, plus any Monday-Wednesday powder days, and all holiday periods. Mondays have been extremely slow ski days the last few years

xwhaler

Good move....I think they should start partnering with the Upper Pass Inn at the base which supposedly has new owners and is getting re-furbed a bit. Do some ski and stay groupon type deals.

I took the annual survey they had in their update as well---encourage anyone who enjoys Magic to give them constructive feedback.

AdironRider

Good move....I think they should start partnering with the Upper Pass Inn at the base which supposedly has new owners and is getting re-furbed a bit. Do some ski and stay groupon type deals.

I took the annual survey they had in their update as well---encourage anyone who enjoys Magic to give them constructive feedback.

Anytime a ski resort is reducing hours its a horrible move. End of story. Magic either needs to get their act together or get over their delusions of grandeur.

ScottySkis

Anytime a ski resort is reducing hours its a horrible move. End of story. Magic either needs to get their act together or get over their delusions of grandeur.

Not if their going bankrupt because of it. I doubt their is enough people on the hill midweek non holiday for them to make money. I don't want them or any other hills not open anymore so it fine. Besides now when you get a few inches mid week you have great powder on the weekend just like my favorite hill in Catskills does and keeps them open and expanding hopefully.

jrmagic

They aren't cutting hours at this point. They have been running Friday to Monday and are now doing Thursday to Sunday. Besides that they have increased total skier visits since cutting out the midweek days a few years back.

xwhaler

Ummm. Not reducing hours at all just switching from Fri-Mon schedule to Thurs-Monday. Same total operating hours. Magic from all accounts had a good year and this is just a good strategic move to continue to grow.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It's a great move. I think the shortened (non-holiday) week in general makes a big difference for small ski areas. They can get so few daily tix sales, they can easily lose money being open. Magic already knows what Mondays brought in.Would they do this if Mondays had been profitable? Of course not! Thursdays can only be better....definitely no worse.

slatham

This is a good move. I've spoke to Jim and Geoff, and personally witnessed, the low skier turnout out Monday's. So they are keeping the same number of days - a 4 day weekend - just canceling Monday and replacing with Thursday. I think this will generate more visits. Also, as we saw a couple of times this year, if they have good snow and open for a "Powder Day" they are likely to stay open the rest of the week (ie they opened for a Wednesday Powder day in March and stayed open Thursday too). Prudent, thoughtful managment is necessary for Magic to survive.

gmcunni

Also noticed this while browsing Magic's website....lot of legal detail in here but seems the basic premise is that this revised structure allows Magic to start employing the share funds more immediately for on hill improvements that are noticeable right away.

http://www.magicmtn.com/magic-faithful-club.php

rode the chair this season with a "shareholder" who tried to explain to me in simple terms (cuz i'm not a smart man) the issues faced with the original setup. sounds like a bit of a cluster F... hopefully this fixes the problem, they don't lose "investors" and they get moving to make the improvements.

slatham

"Shareholders" recieved letters last week and are supposed to return them by next week (mine was sent and rolled into the Club). Hopefully there is a high conversion rate, and no delay in forming the club and creating a structure for approving/monitoring projects.