• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Major tumble at Breck

snoseek

Do you mean my shoulder weren't pointing downhill? That is something I know I have to work on a little bit, I didn't focus on it as much there though, since that was a new line I hadn't been on, and I was just (planning on) turning, then surveying the next turn for 3-5 seconds, and repeating.

What do you mean by my instant reaction was to hug the wall?

It's all really hard to judge watching a gopro but I'm guessing on the drop in your shoulders were turned away from the fall line, leaving your tails susceptible to skidding out. I would imagine that would put extra pressure on the skis at such a steep angle. I can envision this because I've done this, most people have, its a natural reaction on terrain like that.

If your shoulders are squared off then speed control is much easier and I feel like that's clutch on steep stuff....to be able to come to a complete stop on a dime.

Glad all is well, now go back...crush it in style and post up the redemption!

MadMadWorld

It's all really hard to judge watching a gopro but I'm guessing on the drop in your shoulders were turned away from the fall line, leaving your tails susceptible to skidding out. I would imagine that would put extra pressure on the skis at such a steep angle. I can envision this because I've done this, most people have, its a natural reaction on terrain like that.

If your shoulders are squared off then speed control is much easier and I feel like that's clutch on steep stuff....to be able to come to a complete stop on a dime.

Glad all is well, now go back...crush it in style and post up the redemption!

Yup. Many people have seen the video of my fall. That's exactly what happened to me. Except my ski didn't come off until I was racing down the hill on my back.

snoseek

Yup. Many people have seen the video of my fall. That's exactly what happened to me. Except my ski didn't come off until I was racing down the hill on my back.

Yup, I remember seeing that video and yeah, that was some steep stuff. I still find myself making this mistake sometimes at Kirkwood on the steeper lines that give me butterflies.

SIKSKIER

I definately don't like this:
"My bindings were maxed out at 10"
I would never want my bindings set to max and have that spring compressed all the way.I use a 14 or 16 DIN bindingand set mine around 10.It looked like your toe released.I would check to see if you have wear on your boot and see if you have space/movement between the boot and the AFD.Just as important is to make sure the forward pressure is correct as this will always lead to premature releases in the toe first.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Get the bindings checked out by a shop. That snow wasnt as powdery as it seemed! Quite a fall but anyone that you walk away from is good. Thanks for the video, Im all for displaying my failures when I can. You have to be able to look back and laugh at yourself.

skiNEwhere

Highway Star

I ski some older 12 din salomon drivers on a 11.5 setting, but they aren't crappy bindings. And it's only when I want a light binding on skis that are already drilled for salomon. Otherwise it's metal bindings set to 13 or higher.

Just the way you roll up into that and drop in, it's clear you are in WAY over your head, specifically by how you flail your poles around, and the backseat turns. And seriously, it's 2014, what are you doing skiing powder and steeps on salomon guns with 10 din bindings....?

Here's another video of you falling off a cliff at a-basin...........

I'd say you stay off this type of terrain, because sooner or later you're get really hurt/killed if you can't ski it without falling.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Highwaystar..........as the star of the most famous video of backseat, pole flailing, expert terrain survival skiing ever posted on the internet, I'm not sure you have any place making such critiques of someone else's skiing; especially in a POV video.

snoseek

I ski some older 12 din salomon drivers on a 11.5 setting, but they aren't crappy bindings. And it's only when I want a light binding on skis that are already drilled for salomon. Otherwise it's metal bindings set to 13 or higher.

Just the way you roll up into that and drop in, it's clear you are in WAY over your head, specifically by how you flail your poles around, and the backseat turns. And seriously, it's 2014, what are you doing skiing powder and steeps on salomon guns with 10 din bindings....?

I'd say you stay off this type of terrain, because sooner or later you're get really hurt/killed if you can't ski it without falling.

Nah dude, he's out there pushing himself on tough terrain. Lot's of people eat shit dropping off cornices, that's how you learn. The high alpine stuff off of imperial is probably a hell of a lot safer than the groomers leading down to peak 8.

lots of people fuck up dropping cornices, its intimidating.

OP-take those binding in for a check/lube, its not expensive

Last edited:

bobbutts

Don't get to walk away from too many falls like that. Feels wrong that the gopro costs more than the bindings. Makes for good youtube though.

sooner or later you're get really hurt/killed if you can't ski it without falling.

this was my thought too..

MidnightJester

Wish I could speak to skiing technique but since I am a border I cant speak about his technique. But I can speak to pushing limits and taking falls. As we all have gotten better and jumped from level to level in our respective snow sports. we have taken many many a fall to learn our skill sets, its part of the risk. And to say to not ski without falling is hard if you try to push and progress. Some important lessons wont be learned till you crash or fall. Taking the important lesson of how to not crash in the same circumstances is what makes us better not the "not crashing in the first place"

skiNEwhere

Just the way you roll up into that and drop in, it's clear you are in WAY over your head, specifically by how you flail your poles around, and the backseat turns.

Believe it or not, I do like to get everyone's opinions, including yours even though you are an arrogant a$$hole in the manner you present it without being there and having any facts.

How was I supposed to roll up to this? Just drop in the 10 foot cornice to the left on a line I stated that I've never skied before?

At the beginning of the video, you can hear a howling noise. That's wind. I crossed my ski's when I rolled up to the cornice because I didn't want to get pushed in unexpectedly by another 30mph gust.

Backseat turns? I've seen pro-skiers use POV go-pro's on off-piste terrain and it looks like they are in the backseat when they are not in fact, which is evident when they switch to another non POV camera. Even with that said, I don't know how you can say my one turn looks like it was from the backseat. Maybe you're basing this on earlier video's which I do review and make adjustments. I know in my copper video I was in the backseat and I did adjust, although I do approach ripping through powder much different that handling extremely steep terrain.

Have you been on this kind of terrain? You can talk all you want about technique, but when are on really tough terrain like that, that what separate's an expert skier from the rest, maintaining that technique through the whole trail. I know that I didn't have a good pole plant there, I'll admit that, but that didn't have anything to do with my ski popping off. I have go-pro footage of skiing terrain that is similar to this, but I don't put the majority of it on you tube, so what are you comparing?

As far as the cliff tumble at A-Basin, I don't ski on that type of terrain in visibility as low as that anymore. I didn't even see that dip right before the cliff

what are you doing skiing powder and steeps on salomon guns with 10 din bindings....?

I'm not skiing powder. I'd say the last big storm we had got before that day was a good 10-12 days earlier. The surface was actually relatively hard if you were actually looking.

skiNEwhere

Wish I could speak to skiing technique but since I am a border I cant speak about his technique. But I can speak to pushing limits and taking falls. As we all have gotten better and jumped from level to level in our respective snow sports. we have taken many many a fall to learn our skill sets, its part of the risk. And to say to not ski without falling is hard if you try to push and progress. Some important lessons wont be learned till you crash or fall. Taking the important lesson of how to not crash in the same circumstances is what makes us better not the "not crashing in the first place"

I like that, those are some pretty good points.

bdfreetuna

Didn't read this whole thread but from the video it looks like you pointed one of your heels down hill and hooked a ski on the downwards jump.

Glad you came out okay there.. that's a sketchy place to spill! Definitely give you credit for even heading down that in the first place. I haven't skied a deep powder steep chute like that in a while, I probably would have had the same spill.

skiNEwhere

OP-take those binding in for a check/lube, its not expensive

Those ski's are being retired at the end of the season. Until then, they are not going to see any terrain even close to that. Strongly considering the soul 7's (188) as a replacement since those were kind of short too