• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man Kills Cat

2knees

my freind had a pet skunk. he was actually pretty cool. always followed us around the yard and was always getting ing to trouble. it was funny to watch the things he did. he once got stuck in a piece of rain gutter.

did he have the stink glands, or whatever they are, removed???

We get gassed so bad sometimes it wakes us up at night.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
did he have the stink glands, or whatever they are, removed???

We get gassed so bad sometimes it wakes us up at night.

ya they had them removed. it had been hit by a car by their house and they rescued it. he was a funny animal. it loved people which was funny when it would come running up to someone new at the house. they would freak out.

WJenness

ya they had them removed. it had been hit by a car by their house and they rescued it. he was a funny animal. it loved people which was funny when it would come running up to someone new at the house. they would freak out.

That's pretty awesome.

Out of curiosity, what was it's name? Trying to think of good skunk names, and all I can come up with is 'stinky'

-w

Beetlenut

I had a friend from Oregon who's mom had a pet Raccoon named "Baby". This raccoon would sleep in the house in a dog bed, and play real nice with his mom. If anyone else when near it though, it would bite the shit out of them! So everybody was real careful to know where Baby was at all times. Kind of like the hired muscle for his mom. She would tell it to go get someone, and Baby would take-off like a shot at the person. Kind of funny, unless you were that person!

2knees

Grubs. You probably have them. Is your lawn getting torn up too?

in years past, yeah we had grubs but i dont think this year. We've had Scotts Lawn service the last couple of years and they do a grub treatment. none of those telltale burrow signs in the lawn. but this pack kinda roams around the neighborhood. there are a ton of exposed foundations for them to live under. we packed in like sardines, as you may remember from your one visit to mi casa.

Dr Skimeister

In NJ?

My understanding is that in NJ skunks are only able to be kept captive by permit, and permits are only issued for domestically bred skunks.

I know I sure as hell wouldn't perform de-scenting on a skunk!!

hardline

Pepe' Le'Pew. that old cartoon character.

you got it

In NJ?

My understanding is that in NJ skunks are only able to be kept captive by permit, and permits are only issued for domestically bred skunks.

I know I sure as hell wouldn't perform de-scenting on a skunk!!

i have no idea this was when we where around 10. its possible that what happened because it was a rescue. they also had pequocks and llamas at his house. it was a fun place to hang out

hardline

I had a friend from Oregon who's mom had a pet Raccoon named "Baby". This raccoon would sleep in the house in a dog bed, and play real nice with his mom. If anyone else when near it though, it would bite the shit out of them! So everybody was real careful to know where Baby was at all times. Kind of like the hired muscle for his mom. She would tell it to go get someone, and Baby would take-off like a shot at the person. Kind of funny, unless you were that person!

the skunk was super freindly. you just had to be sure you didnt have a food in your pockets. it would go right in after it. he never bit anyone he and the cat where good friends. they would terroize the peacocks. the peacocks also made the stranges sounds i have ever heard. the llamas didn't like the peacocks either.

ed-drum

We have been amused by our wild furry friends for years. I have pictures of the skunks and raccoons eating together in the back yard together. Never had a skunk smell. Our raccoon friend "tiny" comes in through the cat door and helps herself to leftovers. She is very well behaved and just comes in the kitchen and leaves. Now, I haven't seen the wild panther that's in our neighborhood yet. (Yes, that's right, a PANTHER) Seems that a pregnant black panther got loose from the Catskill Game Farm a while back and now is around. Not to mention the Mountain Lion seen around Woodstock. No, I'm not joking! The Mountain Lion story was in the Woodstock Times last year. Great, add this to all of the Copperheads up by the Plattekill stream.

Last edited:

hardline

We have been amused by our wild furry friends for years. I have pictures of the skunks and raccoons eating together in the back yard together. Never had a skunk smell. Our raccoon friend "tiny" comes in through the cat door and helps herself to leftovers. She is very well behaved and just comes in the kitchen and leaves. Now, I haven't seen the wild panther that's in our neighborhood yet. (Yes, that's right, a PANTHER) Seems that a pregnant black panther got loose from the Catskill Game Farm a while back and now is around. Not to mention the Mountain Lion seen around Woodstock. No, I'm not joking! The Mountain Lion story was in the Woodstock Times last year. Great, ad this to all of the Copperheads up by the Plattekill stream.

skunks and raccoons are really smart. they are great at problem solving. plus they are entertaining. we once had a raccoon drink a sixer of beer at a cabin in qubec. it was just rolling around on its back. the ranger yelled at us for leaving it out but it was in an enclosed porch. the thing was so drunk it could get out of the porch.

wa-loaf

Not to mention the Mountain Lion seen around Woodstock. No, I'm not joking! The Mountain Lion story was in the Woodstock Times last year.

Lots of debate about whether Mtn Lions are in New England, especially in Maine. I figure if they are spotting them in Maine, upstate NYs gotta have them too.

Beetlenut

Lots of debate about whether Mtn Lions are in New England, especially in Maine. I figure if they are spotting them in Maine, upstate NYs gotta have them too.

We have them down in Rhode Island too! The DEM will not officially acknowledge it, so they don't have to spend the money they don't have on it. Kind of hard to dispute though, when you view the remains of a full grown horse or cow.