• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man up AZers... Are you the stuff Boy Scout skiers and boarders are made of?

skiNEwhere

I don't have the attention span to read all of that, so I probably fail right there...

+1

I was in the scouts. And I got in trouble with the Scoutmaster for jumping off of the hornet double at Tenney to ski a closed trail as well. No merit badge for me :(

darent

Since I have a Cub Scout we will likely be making an attempt at this badge. Will have to see what the current requirements are, but from my limited experience there's no one really following up to see if you've completed all of the little tasks ...
wa-loaf, you could be the adult who oversees the skiing merit badge in your kids troop, volunteer, that is how the Boy Scouts get their advisers for merit badges.

hammer

Give your son some credit. That is a big deal and decent amount of work for a high school kid. You must have taught him right... good work ethic. Hard to come by these days with the youth of America.
Actually the big deal was getting through some of the other merit badges (some of the Eagle required ones are tough) and getting everything else done for making Eagle Scout.

makimono

I still have mine ;)

If they only knew that I'd drop out of college sophomore year to become a ski bum :oops: and eventually take up monoskiing full time...:razz:

Mariovntr

Actually the big deal was getting through some of the other merit badges (some of the Eagle required ones are tough) and getting everything else done for making Eagle Scout.

I hear you on that. Eagle Scout requirements are no walk in the park.

Tin

The scouts teach some great info, however on the updated list # 14 is "Make sure all ski/snowboard instructors are heterosexual prior to the lesson."

I think the exclusion of individuals kind of goes against what true mountain culture is all about. Unless you frequent one of the resorts that targets the financially well-off.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To be clear, you only need to do ONE sport and its respective requirements.

The Scouting program does a lot of good things for young men.

wa-loaf

wa-loaf, you could be the adult who oversees the skiing merit badge in your kids troop, volunteer, that is how the Boy Scouts get their advisers for merit badges.

There are actually quite a few skiers in our pack.

makimono

There are actually quite a few skiers in our pack.

You should! When I got mine it was my dad who took me and 2 other scouts for the weekend. We stayed in a 4 bed bunk room at pinkham notch and skied wildcat for 2 days. My dad "tested" us, we were all good enough skiers anyways even for 12 year olds, and we all got our merit badges. It was a fun and memorable trip. :cool: