• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mask and fogging?

RISkier

Skied a few runs yesterday morning. First time this year. Had a heck of a time with my goggles. Fortunately it was not that cold and I mostly skied sans goggles. But... Was curious if anyone had found a good mask for skiing or had found a good solution to this issue? Thanks.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
what goggles? I find any goggles, once I touch the insides, may as well go into the trash. Good goggles with good ventilation make a big difference.

KustyTheKlown

ive been using the regular paper surgical mask with the wire at the nose that you can bend to shape. skiing with the surgical mask, and i put my goggle on top of the mask where it is sitting flush to my nose. no fogging whatsoever. i use smith vice goggles. i also have oakley flight decks but i haven't worn them on this trip (need new lens). im not really finding the mask to be annoying while skiing. it was more annoying constantly putting it up and down. and lots of people out here are just not wearing masks, so i feel a lot better with mine on at all times.

cgull

I skiied Tue-Th with goggles, a disposable surgical-type mask, and sometimes an old thin Peak Resorts neck gaiter on top of that for warmth. The mask was actually quite comfortable and warm. Even during the middle of the storm at Wildcat, it was only damp not wet, never icy, and always warm. They're also easy/comfortable to breathe through for me. The flip side was that the fogging/icing was really bad, and the goggles iced over completely during the storm. I ended up first pulling down the mask (didn't help much by that point) and then enduring snowflakes into my eyes instead.

Surely Western skiiers have had some time to figure out better solutions to this by now. Are there any good Western counterparts to AlpineZone to look at?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Now that is stylin'! Does it come in a nice navy blue to match my boots?
Respirators 6000 Series, 3M™ Half Facepiece Reusable

The filters are organic vapor . I'm sure they can be painted to match LOL
They probably would do ok filtering incoming air but the exhaust is not filtered . I though about making a dual snorkel type exhaust for effect .

BenedictGomez

People are skiing while wearing a mask? Is there a resort(s) that are requiring you to wear a mask WHILE in the act of skiing?

cgull

#vailsucks isn't requiring mask use while actually skiing AFAIK. No requirement, but if it's 15 degrees, and the mask is comfortable, and flipping it up and down for each lift ride is inconvenient, why not?

RISkier

I skiied Tue-Th with goggles, a disposable surgical-type mask, and sometimes an old thin Peak Resorts neck gaiter on top of that for warmth. The mask was actually quite comfortable and warm. Even during the middle of the storm at Wildcat, it was only damp not wet, never icy, and always warm. They're also easy/comfortable to breathe through for me. The flip side was that the fogging/icing was really bad, and the goggles iced over completely during the storm. I ended up first pulling down the mask (didn't help much by that point) and then enduring snowflakes into my eyes instead.

Surely Western skiiers have had some time to figure out better solutions to this by now. Are there any good Western counterparts to AlpineZone to look at?
My experience was similar. I used a disposable surgical type mask as well. The mask itself didn't bother me but my goggles became pretty much unusable. There's a site called pugski.com that has folks from out West. Not limited to Western skiing. I'll look there.

JimG.

Staff member

drjeff

Posting this link courtesy of Kusty:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWHY43X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 2 of these and they're great. Very comfortable and not too hot. Have not had any goggle fogging problems due to the snug fit.

I have skied more than a few runs with it pulled up over my nose and didn't even realize it. Highly recommended. And available in a wide variety of colors (fortunately).

100% agree with the good reviews of this product. I have one in black, and it works very well, doesn't fog my goggles, and the multi panel design does allow for easy adjustment

cgull

I tried wearing a disposable mask upside down yesterday so the nose wire is on the bottom. That seemed to help with the fogging, and your goggles will hold the mask tight over your nose anyway.