• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Membership Dues Increase at Hermitage

njdiver85

Just saw this article in the Deerfield Valley News . . .

Club members see one-time dues “adjustment”
by Mike Eldred

WILMINGTON- Last week Hermitage Club President James Barnes announced a plan to raise funding for vendor debt repayment, property tax payments, and operations through what is being called a one-time membership dues adjustment.

The membership charge was imposed after an equity and convertible debt offering failed to raise the minimum of $5 million. “We believe imposing a one-time 2017 dues adjustment of $10,000 on all membership classes across the board will take care of our short-term and entire season cash needs,” Barnes told members in a conference call. “We’ve discussed this with members and have significant support.”

Barnes said the $10,000, plus tax, charge would be due immediately, and would affect about 550 of the club’s 700 members and raise an additional $5.5 million. Trial members or those in their first year of membership would be excluded.

Club officials say the one-time charge is necessary after two setbacks, including a poor 2015 winter season that suppressed membership sales and stalled real estate construction while the club sought a master plan permit from the state. They also say they’ve spent $6.9 million on capital improvements to enhance the “member experience,” including the construction of a mid-mountain cabin, renovations to the clubhouse, and expansion of the child care program. Barnes said the club sold only 100 memberships during the winter of 2015, compared to 215 the year before.

In calling the charge an “adjustment,” Hermitage Club officials point out that membership dues have been kept “artificially low” thanks to subsidy from real estate sales.

“We’ve spent a lot on improvements to members’ experience, but dues have been kept artificially low for a long time,” said club spokesperson Meridith Dennes. “Members have come to expect and enjoy a certain level of service from employees and vendors, and that kind of experience comes with a price.”

Dennes said the “break even” point, at which annual membership dues will fully fund club operations, is about 1,000 members.

Barnes told members a portion of the fee would be used to pay off dozens of liens filed on club properties by vendors and contractors, and establish a “vendor management program.” The fee would also be used to pay property taxes due in Wilmington and Dover. The Hermitage missed its August property tax payment in Wilmington, and Dover is poised to take several Hermitage Club-owned properties to tax sale.

“That will leave $2.5 million in reserve, which gives us plenty of cash to get through the season,” Barnes told members.

On Tuesday, Barnes announced that the Hermitage Club plans to open for skiing over Thanksgiving weekend. This year the club has access to 40 million gallons more snowmaking water than previous years, after a water withdrawal agreement with Mount Snow expired when their West Lake reservoir came on line. According to a Hermitage release, the club aims to get their Last Chance trail opened first, and will need at least 36 hours of temperatures below 25 degrees and 3.5 million gallons of water to pull it off.

“During each production window, about 50 snowguns will be operated to produce the required 20 acre/feet of snow,” according to Hermitage officials. “Early season snowmaking costs are about $800-$1,000 per acre/foot. This cost goes down, the colder it gets. It should cost about $25,000 to get one trail and the base area covered up, groomed out, and ready to ski.”

Barnes says the funding will also position the club to start their process of recapitalization. He says the club has a high equity to debt ratio, and plans to use that equity to raise $50 million to $60 million in funding for real estate development and operating capital.

“Real estate right now is 100% sold out,” Barnes said Tuesday. “We have the next wave of 93 units in the permit process now. That includes townhomes, single family homes, and villas.”

Despite more than doubling this year’s membership dues (dues for 2017 without the “adjustment” were $9,500), Barnes says most members have supported, or at least accepted the additional fee. “Nobody likes a price increase, but members are quite aware that dues have been subsidized for the last six years. Either it gets subsidized by real estate sales, or it needs to come out of the membership. It’s the only two places you can go with that.”

But some members may not be amenable to doubling their dues. In an email to club members on Wednesday, Barnes responded to rumors that some members were considering legal action over the developments, calling for discussion and compromise.

“Any movement toward legal action, whether litigation, receivership or otherwise, will have the effect of destroying not only the financial investments made by so many of the club’s members, but also threatens the club’s ability to operate this winter season. Already, employees, having heard rumors of legal actions, are becoming increasingly concerned, may leave the club for other employment opportunities, and thus directly imperil the club’s operational viability. In turn, the negative impact on the club’s reputation will undoubtedly depress the value of real estate, causing real harm not just to the club’s owners and investors, but to those members of the club that own real estate both on and near the club.”

Read more: Deerfield Valley News - Club members see one time dues adjustment

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lot's of interesting numbers here...

“During each production window, about 50 snowguns will be operated to produce the required 20 acre/feet of snow,” according to Hermitage officials. “Early season snowmaking costs are about $800-$1,000 per acre/foot. This cost goes down, the colder it gets. It should cost about $25,000 to get one trail and the base area covered up, groomed out, and ready to ski.”

$25,000 for a 1,500 vert foot trail. Times that by X number of trails at your local hill and that's why this sport costs so much.

urungus

Anyone skied there? Any steeps? I’ve pondered getting a room at the hotel so I’d be allowed to check the slopes out. But afraid everyone on the hill will be snooty investment bankers / Ted Knight in Caddyshack.

VTKilarney

I had dinner last week with a member. He was not too optimistic about the club's financial health. Now I see why.

heiusa

I was fortunate to be invited as a guest a few years ago. The snow making and grooming were fantastic, and the lifts are well maintained, with zero lift lines.

The unfortunate part is that it is a small mountain with mainly blue runs, it is right next to Mt. Snow and has similar type runs.

drjeff

I took one of the members and his son to the Patriots game last Sunday and asked him about this article that was published last Friday.

He said that he has concerns about if the members will or will not go along with this. He also feels that unless some of the members realize how much things were being subsidized via real estate sales the last few years that this will face stiff resistance. The permitting hold ups via violations cited a few years ago have effected the ability to keep the real estate development moving forward at the planned pace and that current lull in offering planned, but not started development phases put a dent in the cash flow.

He also gets the impression that Jim Barnes's cash liquidity isn't quite as robust as people think.

His feeling is that one of the larger level member investors, and they have sold a few big $$ equity board of directors level memberships, will float a loan to the club until they clear the hurdle and start the next phases of housing development....

Plenty of ego's in play here....

And as my friend jokingly said, he thinks the biggest change one will see at the Hermitage this year is that at the clubhouse bar, they'll sell more of the MacCallan 12yr old scotch instead of the 18yr old offering!! ;-)

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
If they knew they were $3M short on obligations and need an additional $2.5M to fund operations this year, then why in the heck did they spend $6.9M in capital improvements?

Looking back, why did they buy the fancy bubble six pack that probably cost $6M+ when memberships weren't selling as rapidly as expected and real estate permitting was slow?

These are some pretty major management mistakes. If I were a property owner / member, I'd question how realistic and well planned out the membership figures are that promise the club to be self sustaining. Might be time for the HOA to consider a vote of no confidence and look for new leadership to move the club forward.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

We get the Deerfield Valley News at our weekend place. It's been interesting to read the letters that have come in from some of the locals regarding the situation there. Some are upset about the late taxes, some say let it slide, it's business coming to the area.

It's not a huge a hill. But no liftlines or crowds is certainly appealing. There is a cost associated with that however.

Newpylong

If they knew they were $3M short on obligations and need an additional $2.5M to fund operations this year, then why in the heck did they spend $6.9M in capital improvements?

Looking back, why did they buy the fancy bubble six pack that probably cost $6M+ when memberships weren't selling as rapidly as expected and real estate permitting was slow?

These are some pretty major management mistakes. If I were a property owner / member, I'd question how realistic and well planned out the membership figures are that promise the club to be self sustaining. Might be time for the HOA to consider a vote of no confidence and look for new leadership to move the club forward.

Because memberships aren't going to sell to to ride the Barnstormer triple at those prices.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, you could buy a season pass to Wildcat, Burke or Pico if you are looking for good sized hills with few crowds and lift lines. ;)

You'd likely need to supply your own bottle of Mac 18 though.

drjeff

The bubble six decision is very easy to explain, conceptually atleast. Mount Snow, which is where a bulk of the Hermitage's members came from, and still ski at Mount Snow when the Hermitage isn't open, had the Bluebird in place already, and many of their early to join members stated that they liked , and wanted something equivalent at their club. The six vs 4 decision was based on the number of members who felt that given the size of their families, both immediate and extended, that the 6 pack would be better.....

Last edited:

Jully

Anyone know how much more expensive a heated bubble six pack is versus a heated bubble HSQ? I feel like the heated and the bubble and the high speed had to be done for the club in order to make the high dues worth it. So the question really just comes down to whether or not the 6 was excessive. The point about the family size is a good one too.

Smellytele

Anyone know how much more expensive a heated bubble six pack is versus a heated bubble HSQ? I feel like the heated and the bubble and the high speed had to be done for the club in order to make the high dues worth it. So the question really just comes down to whether or not the 6 was excessive. The point about the family size is a good one too.

Do rich people have more kids then us low-lifes?

SkiFanE

Do rich people have more kids then us low-lifes?

Admittedly I'm out of the loop on this resort - didn't even realize it was in VT. So basically people will pay a fortune for amazing intermediate skiing away from Joeys and Massholes :)

Gives me immense pleasure to know they suck at skiing, but wish they didn't and redeem themselves with $50 glasses of apres ski scotch.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The bubble six decision is very easy to explain, conceptually atleast. Mount Snow, which is where a bulk of the Hermitage's members came from, and still ski at Mount Snow when the Hermitage isn't open, had the Bluebird in place already, and many of their early to join members stated that they liked , and wanted something equivalent at their club. The six vs 4 decision was based on the number of members who felt that given the size of their families, both immediate and extended, that the 6 pack would be better.....
Many of those same members also probably have been to Snowbird and liked the Tram. Just seems like they bought something they couldn't afford.

But more than that it's that in the very same letter that they state they need $5.5 million, they say they spent $6.9 million. Spend what you can afford! They probably should have waited for more homes and memberships to sell before making those improvements.