• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most impractical ski vehicle = best ski vehicle!

Duncanator24

Usually when I head up to the mountain, I mostly see SUVS, vans, and subarus. All of these are of course practical things to bring for a day of skiing/riding versus say a 2 seater convertible. However, I enjoy driving my car all year round and will take it everywhere, including the 6 hour trek up to Vermont. Just curious who else in the Northeast brings an incredibly impractical car for ski trips. Snow tires make anything good in the snow!
2016-01-11_08-43-41_HDR.jpg

Maybe not totally impractical, but often take my Sonata when weather is decent and leave the Highlander in the garage. Wouldn't use it when weather is an issue, but day trips are easy cruising....

dlague

965fb26700268313d8fe82db242c5239.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Duncanator24

View attachment 21352

This you on Jerry of the Day?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That picture was everywhere on the internet. I kept having friends send me that picture and ask me the same question haha. I tend to avoid top down when it gets below 20 degrees (F) or so. Anything below 40 is inherently bad for the soft top to put it down but I enjoy it too much to care.

rtjcbrown

Usually when I head up to the mountain, I mostly see SUVS, vans, and subarus. All of these are of course practical things to bring for a day of skiing/riding versus say a 2 seater convertible. However, I enjoy driving my car all year round and will take it everywhere, including the 6 hour trek up to Vermont. Just curious who else in the Northeast brings an incredibly impractical car for ski trips. Snow tires make anything good in the snow!
View attachment 21350

Nice! From NJ to Sugarbush in the Miata.
I used to drive a 73 Dodge Challenger until almost crashing on German Flats Rd.

Duncanator24

Nice! From NJ to Sugarbush in the Miata.
I used to drive a 73 Dodge Challenger until almost crashing on German Flats Rd.

Key word is *Almost*. All you have to do is say you meant to do that and then all is well. I saw some gnarly wrecks on German Flats a few weeks ago, some dumb people with probably bald tires ending up in the ditch after some mild snowfall turned into ice. I've even made it through the Route 17 pass in a storm (only mild drifting around turns). The parking lot greeters over at MRG were loving it as I drove by mid-blizzard.

Duncanator24

we have a match!

You don't catch a lot of flus in the winter rollin' tuff like that?

Like I said, you have to dress well for it. I figure if I can avoid getting sick while skiing in below zero weather, I can drive with the top down and heat on no problem. I just dress for the mountain before I leave the lodge (saves time when I get there, if only I could operate a clutch with ski boots on). No way would I drive up the highway from home like that though.

Boxtop Willie

I used to have a Miata and it was a great car in the snow. It was a really well balanced, had great torque in 1st and a manual is the only way to drive in snow. With a set of good snow tires I never had an issue. It beat the hell out of the wife's AWD BMW.

yeggous

The motorcycle with ski rack is a regular during spring at Wildcat.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

That's awesome! I'm sure the snow tires help. Good for you for taking the Miata out in the winter.