• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/1

C-Rex

Mount Snow 12/7

Got up early and was pleasantly surprised to find the roads in good shape. None of the ice they were predicting. Got to Mt. Snow about 8 and did a couple warm up runs down Long John. It was a little firm but groomed well. They claimed they got 3 inches over night but that was total BS. The parks were riding well. Fairly soft up top and just a little scraped off at the bottom. In the AM it was great but by the afternoon the crowds of park rats showed up and it got to be a little hectic. No one follows etiquette in Carinthia. I called my drop but others just followed right on my heels or went to the side of me. Hang around long enough and you'll get a good video for the collision thread. The intermediate trails on the main face were pretty nice. Lots of deep frozen granular that became bumps in spots by the afternoon. Overall, a pretty good day. I'd definitely say if you can make the drive, Killington is where it's at right now, but Mt. Snow is not a bad second choice.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

I am making my first ever trip to Mt. Snow on Tuesday. My wife and I are both taking the day off and taking advantage of the $12 lift tickets. Hopefully the weather over the next 2 days gets the mountain in even better shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

Here's an etiquette question. If you're not a park skier is it bad form to just blast down the sides of the trails? On a trip to Mt Snow last year I got in a conversation with a local on the chair and he showed me around a bit. He took me down Carinthia because, he said, they blow the most snow on those trails. It did seem to be in great shape relative to the rest of the mountain.

ScottySkis

I am making my first ever trip to Mt. Snow on Tuesday. My wife and I are both taking the day off and taking advantage of the $12 lift tickets. Hopefully the weather over the next 2 days gets the mountain in even better shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun check out North Face section. Expect crowds it is founders day there that why it 12$. It a my favorite resort in south Vermont. Great burgers I hear. Very good deli in the Summit Hotel by ski shop much better food then there lodge and prices are about the same.

Huck_It_Baby

Here's an etiquette question. If you're not a park skier is it bad form to just blast down the sides of the trails? On a trip to Mt Snow last year I got in a conversation with a local on the chair and he showed me around a bit. He took me down Carinthia because, he said, they blow the most snow on those trails. It did seem to be in great shape relative to the rest of the mountain.

I've always found that powder lingers a little longer on the side of parks! Have at it!

ScottySkis

Glades nice their look to left of North Face. Not marked on map butt go in where you see gaps.:)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

As long as you don't go anywhere near jumps or terrain features, you're in the clear as far as I know.

C-Rex

Just realizes the title is supposed to say 12/7 not 12/1. Shows how exhausted I was when I got home.

You're fine riding the sides of the park as long as you don't cross the approach or landing of the features. Definitely some good snow over there.

Edd

Good to know. Ive done it a bunch of times at a bunch of places but I've always felt a bit weird about it.

Glenn

I'll hit a few features here and there, but ski around what I don't. My wife will ski around all of them. The sides of the park are usually well groomed and untracked.

We were there Saturday as well. It did get a bit skied off as the day went on. Stratton was really firm yesterday before noon. Hopefully, this pattern of thawing once a week will come to an end.

drjeff

As long as you don't go anywhere near jumps or terrain features, you're in the clear as far as I know.

Now that I have a kid who spends a bunch of time in the parks at Carinthia, I've spent a bunch of time talking with both ambassadors, park instructors and coaches and quite a few adult park users in apres ski situations about it.

The consensus that i've been told, is that if you're using the sides of a park, don't cruise it like it's a wide open trail. Meaning that you shouldn't be making a non stop high speed run down the sides while the park is having a bunch of people use it. Most park users hit only 1 or 2 features before stopping, and that's how you should cruise a park trail.

If at all possible, especially if you're cruising while a boarder is using the park along side of you, always try and stay on their front side, where YOU will be more visible.

NEVER cruise from side to side of a park, pick one and stay there, criss crossing will likely cause a bunch of trouble and animosity

Never try and be cruising along side at a decent rate while a park user is landing - landings are usually where if a bunch of trouble laterally is going to happen that it will

Then just enjoy!

Edd

That all sounds sensible. I'm at SR today and checked out their new T72 park. Pretty impressive but admittedly it's no Carinthia. Mt. Snow really nailed it with that trail pod.