• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee

What is the opinion about this place around here? I grew up on the ski team here, and even though it may be pretty flat area and is over groomed, it still is a special place to me. What are your experiences at Sunapee? Plus Flying Goose is one of the best mogul trails in the east (My opinion)

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not a fan.

Flying Goose one of the best mogul trails in the east? Are you trolling or have you just not skied a lot of other mountains? Unless your definition of best is a straight trail with 2/3 coverage of seeded bumps, in which case it would get high marks. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, I think the east needs more of that type of thing. But I don't think I'd put Flying Goose in my top 100 of best mogul trails in the east.

hammer

Good solid intermediate groomers...much better appreciated when it isn't busy. Nice views. Great snowmaking and grooming.

I'm fine with the place but I stay away on Saturdays and holiday weeks if I have alternatives.

I find Flying goose to be a really enjoyable trail. I like the pitch and the crew does a really good job maintaining them.i guess that being a Sunapee skier really biased my opinion. And yes, i'm more of a seeded bumps guys so that also explains why such high ranking. I'd say Flying Goose is top 15. If i wasn't biased it would probably hover around top 50.

On another note, i see that you are the Snow way guy. I understand your sunapee hate as this past year was a real dud. Possibly try skiing sunapee again on a better year. The glades are decent and they leave North peak ungroomed most of the time. I think that you would enjoy it a little better. They also have bumps on liftline and Cataract. The cataract glades are really nice after a good storm. One complaint that i do have about Sunapee is this souless feel that developed around 5 years ago. they are really trying to sell it off as a resort not just a ski area. they even went as far as to make a summer "Adventure park" ugh...

Last edited:

Smellytele

As you mentioned over groomed and they always seem to leave trails closed after storms for some reason until they are groomed.

I actually used to like it more more it was run by the State. Price to fun ratio is just too low now for me to go there. Maybe I mean too high. Anyway it cost more than it is worth.

Seeded bumps are not for me - I like them natural. There blacks besides the glades are really only blues. I do like dare ya and Double dare ya if and when they are ever open.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I can see your really enjoying Flying Goose if you prefer seeded over natural. The pitch is very good and that little trail pod was the only thing I enjoyed about Sunapee during my one and only visit.

One complaint that i do have about Sunapee is this souless feel that developed around 5 years ago. they are really trying to sell it off as a resort not just a ski area. they even went as far as to make a summer "Adventure park" ugh...
I never skied it during its state run days... but the Okemo treatment was very apparent. Very strange for an area without lodging... though the Meullers did seem to have the backdoor strategy which blew up in their faces, and rightly so.

Sunapee does what it does well and is perhaps a victim of its own success, no one goes there any more style. While I know I didn't get to take the full measure of Sunapee in one trip without any glades online, I took measure enough to know that I don't care to return to see what I missed... just too much Okemo vibe. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

One thing that would greatly improve Sunapee was if they went ahead with putting in the Cataract Triple. That would open up the area to the left of the cataract glades and some steep terrain (by Sunapee standards) Plus it would move more skiers out of the Sunbowl preventing you from getting stuck at the quad.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What is the opinion about this place around here? I grew up on the ski team here, and even though it may be pretty flat area and is over groomed, it still is a special place to me. What are your experiances at Sunapee? Plus Flying Goose is one of the best mogul trails in the east (My opinion)

Welcome to the boards Boston Bulldog!

deadheadskier

Staff member
hate the parking

unless you get there early, in which case it is the best in the East next to Stowe's Gondi lots.

I'll agree with the OP on Flying Goose being a great bump run. Seeded bumps aren't for everyone, but the Goose when it's in good shape is definitely one of the better seeded bump runs in the east. For bumpers who just want to rip a consistent zipper line for 500 vert or so, you really can't do much better. Perfect pitch and just the right length. I'd be thrilled if my current home mountain of Gunstock offered something even half as good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was a NH Breakout Passholder in 2005-2006 (Cannon, Sunapee, Gunstocks). That season sucked but Sunapee made snow and groomed well. It is what it is and it was fun for a season. Friendly staff. Nice views. Good cruisers.

WWF-VT

What is the opinion about this place around here? ....it may be pretty flat area and is over groomed...QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question on what a lot of people think of Sunapee. It is an easy day trip from the Boston area, does a great job grooming but there is really not much challenging or memorable terrain.

Puck it

Hike Sunapee today with the wife. Got a view of the entrance to the Beck's Glades. Actually two of them, entrances that is. I think they were cut last year and were not open this year. Maybe wrong. They may be interesting.

Sunapee is what it is. Novice to intermediate. There are some interesting things if you venture off the map though.

Beck Brook glades were cut last year. they look pretty fun, but are pretty short. triple them up with Ridge glades and Dare ya and it would be one epic run.

Puck it

Beck Brook glades were cut last year. they look pretty fun, but are pretty short. triple them up with Ridge glades and Dare ya and it would be one epic run.

The "Dare Ya's" are all of three turns. Not worth unless there are freshies.

BTW You can ski the tree island between Ridge and Outer Ridge to make it even a longer glade run.

Last edited: