• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG 12/29 - Bolton 12/30

polski

Website
twitter.com
A late kickoff to the ski season but a memorable one as I took my 12-yo son up to N VT to play in the new snow Fri and Sat.

Friday, Mad River Glen: We were in Single liftline by 8:10 a.m. to get roughly chairs #10-11. Well worth the effort to get there early; after our first run (Cat Bowl > Lower Antelope) we went to the repair shop to see the bootfitter for an adjustment on my son's new boots and the line for lift tickets ran down to Rte 17 ... I was fine with the holiday week mobs though, as a shareholder (great for MRG business) and because I definitely did not have my ski legs yet so long liftlines just helped us pace ourselves. Lots of excellent if mostly tracked-out snow after 18-20" fell Thursday. Lower Antelope and Gazelle Glades (which we hit twice) probably would have been runs of the day except for the surprise Moody's gave us - a short run but all fresh refill pow, funneled in by the wind. Crowd avoidance measures included early lunch in the Birdcage and some rides up the Practice Slope chair and one up Birdland to mix things up. With my thighs threatening to spontaneously combust, at 2:30 we called it an excellent day.

Saturday, Bolton: An unusual day as ski days go. We were in a hotel outside of Burlington so certainly in position to start at the opening bell but with no fresh snowfall overnight, instead we decided to sleep in (much needed), then go to the nearby gym for which we got passes from the hotel; the hot tub was just the ticket for my aching leg muscles. And since Bolton has night skiing until 8 we were in no rush. As it happened we also waited until it started snowing again - 2+" would fall while we were there, helping freshen things a little. Hit the mountain a little before 2, spent the remaining daylight hours on the Wilderness chair, lots of fun runs including ample low-angle glades. Then after 4 p.m. we moved over to the Vista Quad and hit that side of the mountain until about 6. Basically ski-on the whole time, and this time my legs actually seemed to get stronger as the day progressed. Runs of the day/evening: Spillway - steep, fairly long and full of soft bumps, so good our "last run" turned into three.

polski

Website
twitter.com
It's been a remarkable start to the season. As of two weeks ago it seemed quite possible MRG might not be able to open for the holiday week, which obviously would have been a major financial hit for the coop. Even what base did start to accumulate threatened to be washed out by heavy rain the Friday before Christmas. But that rain turned to heavy snow quite a bit earlier than forecast, apparently, creating an excellent base. And obviously it has snowed a LOT since then. Funny how things happen.

Yeah the liftlines can get long on good weekends and holidays but you'll never find crowds on the trails. I'll happily take quality over quantity in my ski runs.

Best of all though is non-holiday midweek. I'll be back later this week for some of that.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
MRG was excellent today. There are a few thin spots in the steeper and higher traffic areas such as upper Cat Bowl and Liftline. But for the most part, superb packed powder and good coverage all over. Signs said that woods were thin but I found ample coverage in every off map line and rabbit hole I dropped into. I kept saying "such and such probably isn't ready yet" but then I inevitably dropped in and found excellent powder, packed powder, and occasionally day after the powder day untracked powder (though that required a bit of digging and intimate knowledge of the place). With a few refreshes coming this week, MRG is definitely a GO if you are on the fence. Enjoy!