• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Music control product... is it something you would use?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Curious on your thoughts on how this relates to other attempts to solve the same problem.

This was a kickstarter project a while ago that put music controls onto the top of a ski pole via bluetooth --> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slopescience/neva-evolution-of-the-ski-pole?ref=live

That project ended up being unsuccessful I thought the idea was pretty good. Your product obviously would also help with snowboarders who aren't using ski poles, or anyone who is doing anything in the winter not ski related. Hell, even just going out to shovel the walkway.

dawillsta

Website
www.beartekgloves.com
Yeah, I saw this in the beginning of my development. I'm not so sure why she wasn't successful. Could have been any number of reasons. One thing I did do right away was compare what I was creating to what she had created. Among the differences were Bluetooth control, ability to cross activities (as the bluetooth module is removable and insertable into other of our gloves), and the ability to work with more than just iPhone/iPod.

You're right about anything winter including walking commuters. But there's more... motorcyclists, ATV'ers, Military, and others with needs to communicate or device management needs.

I think what she had was cool, but somehow either missed the mark or wasn't well marketed. I think there's a market as there are many companies with some sort of music solution.

Cannonball

Seems like a decent idea. But to answer your actual question: No, it's not something I would use. The biggest reason is simply that while I always listen to music skiing, I've never struggled with controlling it. So it isn't a problem I need to solve by spending more money on a new product. Here are a couple of other reasons not meant to criticize at all, more meant to help you think about design and marketing:
1) I find BT to be incredibly frustrating and unreliable. Another BT product to struggle with is not appealing.
2) BT is a battery drainer. Battery life is already a challenge for long days in the cold. Having to keep BT turned on would compound the problem.
3) Your design seems like it would be prone to accidental button pushing. How do you avoid pressing the buttons when your dpoing something active like skiing, shoveling, etc?

Good luck with your launch! Tech gadgets will always have a least some market.

AdironRider

My wife got me a pair of Burton "undergloves" so to speak with special fingertips that work on smartphones. They are sweet, although I thought they were pointless when I first got them.

jaja111

First thing I thought of was motorcycling. From experience I can say it'll sell to that crowd quickest.

dawillsta

Website
www.beartekgloves.com
Jaja111 - can you tell me about your experience? I'm actually a sport biker and that's what sparked the whole idea of Control Gloves in the first place. Coming Spring 2013....