• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Bike Build

o3jeff

Figured I would try to document the build of my new hard tail bike. Some of the parts started showing up on Friday. Today the frame showed up.
IMAG0066.jpg
[/IMG]

MR. evil

Love the color of that frame! Except for installing the headset, you going to do the build yourself?

MR. evil

Speaking of tools, you will need a bottom bracket wrench to install your BB and one of the crank arms.

MR. evil

I have a Shimano bottom bracket wrench, but don't think I have anything for the crank arm.

On the opposite end of the wench should be a plastic gear looking thing. That fits into the nut that locks on the crank arm to the crank spindle.

bvibert

Staff member
You should be able to do it all yourself. The headset isn't rocket science, as long as the frame has been reemed and faced already. Same goes with the BB being faced ahead of time. Otherwise it's a good excuse to buy some more tools if you don't have them already. One can never have too many tools.

Definitely take pics along the way, I love build up threads!

WoodCore

I'll be taking notes for an upcoming project of my own.....

o3jeff

If last night is any indication on how this is going to go this could be a long process. Took me 10 minutes to wrestle the seat post clamp on!

MR. evil

If last night is any indication on how this is going to go this could be a long process. Took me 10 minutes to wrestle the seat post clamp on!

I should have warned you about that :). I had the same problem with mine. I think the clamp size OnOne list on the web site is a tad too small. I had to purchase one a little larger than what they recommend.

o3jeff

I should have warned you about that :). I had the same problem with mine. I think the clamp size OnOne list on the web site is a tad too small. I had to purchase one a little larger than what they recommend.

It's on, but it makes the post a bit snug. I'm sure if I remove it now it will take some paint with it now.

o3jeff

Have you gotten any further than the seat post clamp?

I put the cassette on the rear wheel along with the rim strip, tire and tube!

Unfortunately I only ordered the headset this week(should be here Tues/Wed next week). My guess is it is probably easier for the shop to put it in a bare frame rather than having cranks and stuff hanging off so I have been holding off on attaching stuff to the frame.

Once this last package arrives I should have everything needed to get it together and out on the trails.

MR. evil

Unfortunately I only ordered the headset this week(should be here Tues/Wed next week). My guess is it is probably easier for the shop to put it in a bare frame rather than having cranks and stuff hanging off so I have been holding off on attaching stuff to the frame.

Once this last package arrives I should have everything needed to get it together and out on the trails.

it wont really matter what else you have on the frame, they just put the bike in a stand and use a special press to install the head set. Also bring you fork to the shop so they can install the crown race. Its not too hard to do, but if you are already paying them to install the HS, the crown race is ussually included in the price.

what size tires you putting on that bad boy? The steel frame does take some of the sting out of things, but 2.3 or bigger tires will also help.

bvibert

Staff member

I doubt it matters much if the cranks are installed or not when they put the headset in. They'll probably clamp it in a stand by the seat post and will be working on the front of the bike... Or you could do it yourself...

wa-loaf

You need to do a better job of documenting this stuff here.

MR. evil

The 456 frame has a really short head tube, your most likely going to need to cut down the fork steerer tube a little. Don't cut too much off, that way you will be able to easily transfer the fork to another bike in the future. Anyway, the best thing I have found for the job is a pipe / tubing cutter.