• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Dilemma!

MR. evil

When you finally decide which vehicle you want, use TrueCar.com to get the best deal you can on it. I used TrueCar.com several weeks ago to buy my new truck and it got me over 5,000 off MSRP with no haggling or typical dealer games. Easiest car buying experience I have ever had.

xwhaler

When you finally decide which vehicle you want, use TrueCar.com to get the best deal you can on it. I used TrueCar.com several weeks ago to buy my new truck and it got me over 5,000 off MSRP with no haggling or typical dealer games. Easiest car buying experience I have ever had.

+1. We had a good experience with true car for our last vehicle purchase

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

In the same size, but for far less dough than the X3, I think a Mazda CX-5 is worth a look. About the best gas mileage on the market for an AWD cross-over. I drove a friends and I found the auto transmission to be fantastic and I'm a MT guy. Superb handling. I drive a Mazda3, which is fun as hell on curvy back roads and the CX-5 didn't lag too far behind my 3 in handling feel even with the auto trans.

Need more space than what the CX-5 offers and I'd take a look at the CX-9.

I'm becoming a really big fan of the vehicles Mazda is putting out right now and I'm sure I will be even more so when they start offering Skyactiv Diesel engines in some US models. There's a chance that engine might be available stateside for the CX-5 by the time you're ready to purchase.

latest consumer reports mag says very nice things about the CX-5. tho i would not put it in the same class of vehicles he listed at the top of the thread.

hammer

In the same size, but for far less dough than the X3, I think a Mazda CX-5 is worth a look. About the best gas mileage on the market for an AWD cross-over. I drove a friends and I found the auto transmission to be fantastic and I'm a MT guy. Superb handling. I drive a Mazda3, which is fun as hell on curvy back roads and the CX-5 didn't lag too far behind my 3 in handling feel even with the auto trans.

Need more space than what the CX-5 offers and I'd take a look at the CX-9.

I'm becoming a really big fan of the vehicles Mazda is putting out right now and I'm sure I will be even more so when they start offering Skyactiv Diesel engines in some US models. There's a chance that engine might be available stateside for the CX-5 by the time you're ready to purchase.
The CX-9 was OK and it does have the third row but I guess I didn't feel the "zoom zoom" when I test drove it. Worth checking out with what the OP is looking at but we definitely liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee better. If towing is a consideration (which it was for us) I'd also lean towards the Jeep or another SUV that is rated for closer to 5000 lb.

deadheadskier

Staff member

deadheadskier

Staff member
The CX-9 was OK and it does have the third row but I guess I didn't feel the "zoom zoom" when I test drove it. Worth checking out with what the OP is looking at but we definitely liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee better. If towing is a consideration (which it was for us) I'd also lean towards the Jeep or another SUV that is rated for closer to 5000 lb.

Agreed the 3500# tow limit is rather low for a 7 passenger. As well as the Jeep having more balls. I've just always been leery of Jeeps reliability and repair costs.

xwhaler

I love the looks of the cx-5. Wish it were available when we were in the market 18 mos ago. We did test drive the cx-7 and were not impressed which was too bad because we love our 3.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

I had a 2001 Audi A6 Avant and retired it in January after driving if for over 206,000 miles. We have two teenage boys and a dog and travel to VT almost every weekend during ski season. Our other family car is a 2007 Subaru Outback. Subaru's are nice but not in the same league as an Audi.

I looked at the Audi Allroad and thought that it was extra $$ for an A4 wagon with extra ground clearance and the interior and seating were too tight for the family. I purchased a 2013 Q5 2.0T and very happy with my choice. It's my daily commuting vehicle as well as family hauler to VT. I have 10K trouble free miles so far and a bonus was the great ground clearance during mud season in VT.

Geoff

I purchased a 2013 Q5 2.0T and very happy with my choice. It's my daily commuting vehicle as well as family hauler to VT. I have 10K trouble free miles so far and a bonus was the great ground clearance during mud season in VT.

Nice car but quite expensive when you want Xenons and the sunroof. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around spending more than $40K for a car. I tend to buy end of model year leftovers at invoice plus a big dealer incentive. The chances are low that I'd be able to do that with a Q5 since luxury brands almost never see that kind of discounting.

WWF-VT

Nice car but quite expensive when you want Xenons and the sunroof. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around spending more than $40K for a car. I tend to buy end of model year leftovers at invoice plus a big dealer incentive. The chances are low that I'd be able to do that with a Q5 since luxury brands almost never see that kind of discounting.

I got the Premium Plus version that added the lighting package and sunroof and a few other options. With an Audi loyalty discount I think I paid $38K

bvibert

Staff member
There is good deal on a Jeep Wrangler 4 door in NJ. Needs work though.

Just a little work with the a buffing wheel...

22172542_BG1.jpg

Geoff

I got the Premium Plus version that added the lighting package and sunroof and a few other options. With an Audi loyalty discount I think I paid $38K

Hmmm.... other than the annoyance of having to put premium fuel in it, that is intriguing. It's just recently that the price spread between unleaded and premium shot up from 20 cents to a much higher gap. If I don't check on the internet to find places with favorable prices, I often see a 50 cent differential. I realize fuel cost is chump change compared to depreciation but I'm a cheap bastard.

Bostonian

Hmmm.... other than the annoyance of having to put premium fuel in it, that is intriguing. It's just recently that the price spread between unleaded and premium shot up from 20 cents to a much higher gap. If I don't check on the internet to find places with favorable prices, I often see a 50 cent differential. I realize fuel cost is chump change compared to depreciation but I'm a cheap bastard.

Putting in premium gas does suck, but one thing that I do think is a plus is the Q5 gets much better gas millage as compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. THis weekend I hope to check out the Q5 or the new outback. BUt hearing a q5 for 38k seems really good.

WWF-VT

Putting in premium gas does suck, but one thing that I do think is a plus is the Q5 gets much better gas millage as compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. THis weekend I hope to check out the Q5 or the new outback. BUt hearing a q5 for 38k seems really good.

Check if there is currently an Audi loyalty discount available. That saved me $1000

Glenn

Check out the Durango as well. It's the same platform at the Grand, just a bit longer with more cargo area. IMHO, a bit more bang for the buck. They're priced better than the Grand and from what I read, the dealer's are putting more money on the hood at the time of sale.

mlctvt

Check out the Durango as well. It's the same platform at the Grand, just a bit longer with more cargo area. IMHO, a bit more bang for the buck. They're priced better than the Grand and from what I read, the dealer's are putting more money on the hood at the time of sale.

This is true but if you're going to sell or trade within 7 years be warned about the dismal resale / trade in values of Durangos. Historically it's one of the worse for resale value.
As an example a friend of mine bought a loaded 2 year old Durago for $12k with only 30K miles on it from a dealer. It was in incredible condition and a deal he couldn't pass up. This was back in 2008 or 2009 when most people were unloading their large SUVs. He still has the vehicle, he likes the car so he will be shopping for a new one. The newer design is much improved.

skijay

You should check out the outgoing 2013 Subaru Tribeca. It runs on 87 octane, well equipped and discounted.

dmc

I'm on my second VW Tiguan..
First one had an engine issue - which after a ton of investigation seemed to be a rarity.....
VW really helped me out to get a replacement car since it was out of warranty at 80k miles...

My current Tiguan gets 26mpg - has a bit more pep then the first..
Just passed the 10k mark with no issues...
thing is great in the snow... Made it almost all the way up the beginner slope at Hunter last winter... :)

I just couldnt afford the Audi and BMW at the same size...