• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Possibilities

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Here's the pics of the new car.

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

I love driving this thing. Very exhilarating and comfortable at the same time. Handles like a dream.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
And I'm sure you blew through the tires at 20K too. I get 20K out of Blizzaks. Those rock hard stock tires on a Jap econobox last for centuries.

I don't care how soft your brake pads are. If you're chewing through them in 20K miles, you probably either suck as a driver or are using your car as a toy.

Working in the road construction biz, I abused the hell out of a 2005 F-150 to the tune of 45-60k per YEAR and always got at least 50k out of a set of pads and tires. Actually, I never wore out a set of pads in 200,000 miles - the rotors would warp before the pads were gone.

Contrast that to my wife's PT Cruiser that chewed up a set of tires in 27,000 miles. It took 5 years to do it as we drive her car so sparingly (I had to replace a locked-up caliper due to UNDER-use) and she's a lot more gentle on her car than I am on my work truck. I've put more miles on a set of Blizzaks running them ALL YEAR. The OEM Goodyear tires were pure shit, plain and simple.

We just bought a Dodge journey and have heard of people smoking pads and rotors on the 2009 model year vehicle in under 15,000 miles. I'm hoping they corrected this oversight in pad material for the 2010 model - watching mine very closely.

So no, it's not always driving style.

jaja111

I did not have a choice, but the car is almost free, so I cant complain. Our other two cars are an Acura and a Subie. I would never buy a Dodge, even though the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is REAL nice, but they need a year to work the bugs out of it.

They've already had 30 years to work the bugs out. Chrysler products should be outlawed and the company held liable for one of the biggest scams / ripoffs of those past years. I work in the automotive business and hang my head low in shame when I see Chryslers for sale to the general hard working public. I beg anyone to never buy a Chrysler product.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
They've already had 30 years to work the bugs out. Chrysler products should be outlawed and the company held liable for one of the biggest scams / ripoffs of those past years. I work in the automotive business and hang my head low in shame when I see Chryslers for sale to the general hard working public. I beg anyone to never buy a Chrysler product.

Funny, didn't have a lick of trouble in 7 years with our PT (aside from the caliper issue), but we only put 42,000 on it in that time frame. Real happy with the new Journey so far. For me it's features for the price. To get what I'm driving now in another brand would cost me $10,000 more (in my case 33% more). And yes, I assume there are reasons for the price difference, but I can do a lot of repairs after the 3 year warranty for that 10 grand.

Any brand can have it's problems - my dad bought a Forrester in it's debut model year (his gut told him to wait, but he needed a car) and he had problem after problem. Never looked at another Subaru again.

I loved my Ford company truck. We have a whole fleet of them and most roll to 300,000 before the company sells them off after a LOT of abuse. They started buying Toyotas over the last few years and got me a 2010 Tacoma 2wd in January. My first impression still holds after 6 months and 10,000 miles - piece of SHIT.

That's pretty impressive! Thinking about going 3rd party for 4x4 brake components...

Nice RootDKJ...

Granted I didn't do a lot of braking as my driving was mostly highway, but they still saw their share of city driving in Hartford, Providence, Worcester, etc. The rotors would start pulsing around 45k, and I would wait until they started to feel like the space shuttle re-entering the atmosphere before I had them replaced, sometime around 55k..

Don't drive anywhere near those kinds of miles now, thankfully.

And back on the topic.......

Nice ride RootDKJ. Always wished I could afford a pimpin' Volvo like that.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice wheels Rooter --luv the color

My favourite car to maintain was that color, I think Inferno Red.
My current car is dark blue and sucks to keep clean.

Thanks. The color is officially called "Maple Red". I like it.

I actually got a call from Ford today from Fleet Services, parts and maintenance dept. He asked for scans of the 6 invoices that show the water pump was replaced and can pass them over to parts engineering. Gave me his email address and office #.