• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Comcast internet + HBO bundle

Glenn

Wee dumped cable a few months back. We have a set of rabbit ears in the attic and we pick up a bunch of local channels in HD. We stream everything else via Roku with Amazon Prime. An apple TV takes care of YouTube shows.

Edd

We have a Roku 2 and 3 which I love. Comcast does not approve that device for HBO Go, unfortunately. I've heard that they have approved the Apple TV for that, but when I've called them they've said no.

We've been using Amazon Steaming a lot . Content-wise, their service seems massive.

Cannonball

Which cord do you want to cut? Cable, home phone, Internet? We ditched the first 2 with no trouble at all. With cells an free VOIP there is no need for home phone line. There is nothing on TV that can't be found on Internet. So really a decent Internet connection is all you need (if you really even need that, which most of us do).

Edd

I agree internet is all I need and haven't had a landline since forever. Household isn't in full agreement though, on ditching cable TV.

Don't get me wrong. I watch a lot of TV. If I had my druthers I'd just want an a la carte arrangement.

Mullen

I cut the cable a couple yrs ago, no land line either. Internet connect, roku , mohu leaf hdtv antenna for the local channels. Couldn't be happier with it.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
http://m.cnet.com/news/dont-let-the-cheap-comcast-hbo-deal-fool-you-cord-cutters/57609299

This is a bit closer to what I'd want from a cable company but it's not there yet.

I'm dying to try cord cutting but the lady is not on board yet. I'm not sure why but paying Comcast what I'm paying them drives me nuts. I hate them.

Same here, if it wasn't for my wife, we'd be without cable/satellite.

We actually cut the cord (dish) a few years ago, and started streaming everything. Our internet connection "suddenly" got spotty and buffered everything. Once we went back, the issues went away. It was really frustrating.

Glenn

Edd, I'm pretty sure I've seen the HBO Go logo on my Apple TV. I'll take a look this weekend.

Edd

Edd, I'm pretty sure I've seen the HBO Go logo on my Apple TV. I'll take a look this weekend.

Apple TV definitely supports HBO Go. However, if your cable provider (Time Warner, for example) does not approve the device specifically, you are out of luck. I know it sounds like lunacy, but your cable provider has to approve every device one by one.

So I can use HBO Go on my iPhone and iPad, because Comcast approved those devices. Not on the Rokus though. I see the HBO Go icon on the Roku menu. But Comcast says no to the Roku so, although I'm an HBO subscriber, I'm not allowed to use it with that device.

Geoff

I know it sounds like lunacy, but your cable provider has to approve every device one by one.

It's not lunacy at all. An ill-behaved device can trash the service for everybody else. Comcast certifies and qualifies anything that's going to talk to their services.

I work for a company that sells cable modems and home security system (alarm panels, sensors...) to Comcast. I use my own cable modem for internet and telephone service. The cover is pulled off and I have a console cable hooked up to it. It's always running our latest software release. I'm on conference calls a lot with Taiwan, China, and/or Israel. I use my land line for that. A cell phone or over-the-top voice over IP don't have the audio quality for those long work calls.

If I didn't watch sports, I'd ditch cable TV and never look back. I have some kind of HBO promo at the moment so I get 3 HD HBO channels in addition to HD Encore and HD Starz. Other than sports, those are the only things I ever watch.

My Vermont condo has basic cable included as part of my condo fee. During the winter 6 months, I rent an HD set-top box for $10.00/month. What I should do is get a couple of SlingBoxes and remote the HDMI HD feed to my flatland house.

Edd

It's not lunacy at all. An ill-behaved device can trash the service for everybody else. Comcast certifies and qualifies anything that's going to talk to their services..

The Roku is a pretty mainstream device. Other providers have given it the thumbs up. I'm struggling with the notion that Comcast is concerned that the Roku will "trash the service".