• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Jersey Meadowlands ski dome to open summer of 2017?

deadheadskier

Staff member
No need to. I dont know how folks who live near the shore tolerate them, gotta' be frustrating.

The feeling is probably not too dissimilar from Vermonters dealing with folks from Jersey, NY and Mass telling them how to run their government and ski areas. ;)

mbedle

No need to. I dont know how folks who live near the shore tolerate them, gotta' be frustrating.

35 years ago, it wasn't that bad. Worst part was the traffic. It took forever to get anywhere during the summer. I'll never forget the amount of people I use to see wearing penny loafers with socks and shorts walking out on the beach.

4aprice

The feeling is probably not too dissimilar from Vermonters dealing with folks from Jersey, NY and Mass telling them how to run their government and ski areas. ;)

Yea, both groups think they are much more then they really are. Neither would be anything without those visitors.

I played Bennie this past weekend and visited our friends down the shore. Wasn't too bad as the crowds seemed lighter probably due to the up coming holiday this coming weekend. Our Friends are getting ready to hunker down with the onslaught expected next weekend. They are in Tom's River and won't go anywhere except by boat.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Telling them? They're actually doing it.

I played Bennie this past weekend and visited our friends down the shore. Wasn't too bad as the crowds seemed lighter probably due to the up coming holiday this coming weekend.

September's my favorite beach month. The water's still warm, and the crowds are gone.

Domeskier

People swim at the Jersey shore? I only go for the skee ball. I have my sights set on a really big novelty comb. Just 67,000 more tickets to go!

cdskier

American Dream mega-mall officially announces a ‘late summer’ opening:

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/03/a...ficially-announces-a-late-summer-opening.html

"Late summer"....of this year?

Hah. I think this is now the third time already this year that the date for a "2019" opening has been pushed back. It went from April/May to June and now to late Summer. What are the odds it slips again?

I drive by several times a week and I will say that a lot of progress has been made in the past 6-12 months.

skiur

I'm quite skeptical it would open in time, but I would love to make some turns on a hot humid day this summer. Anybody know what kind of vertical this place is supposed to be and how steep? In my mind I expect something along the lines of snowshed at K. Even if that is all it is, I would still look forward to cool off skiing on a hot summer day. Any idea of what a lift ticket will cost?

cdskier

I'm quite skeptical it would open in time, but I would love to make some turns on a hot humid day this summer. Anybody know what kind of vertical this place is supposed to be and how steep? In my mind I expect something along the lines of snowshed at K. Even if that is all it is, I would still look forward to cool off skiing on a hot summer day. Any idea of what a lift ticket will cost?

The slope will supposedly be 800 feet long and the building is 16 stories high...so probably somewhere between 100 and 150 feet of vertical.

No idea on cost...

John9

Hope it opens this summer. Would be perfect for preseason warm up and to dial in my new ski boots.

njdiver85

Looks like they will open in phases, with the retail mall opening first. So perhaps that is what we will see at the end of summer. As for the ski building, the exterior looks like it hasn't been touched yet, so seriously doubting it will open anytime this year at the least. Would think their priorities would be for the water park / amusement park / movie stuff first after retail, which will draw far more people (myself excluded).

From a drone flyover and news report last week:

"From the drone footage, it looks like the water park -- its colorful slides protruding and adjacent atrium roof still lacking glass -- has a long way to go before water will be added. The original plan was for the DreamWorks water park to open several months after the rest of the complex. Its unclear how or if the opening will be phased.

But a lot of the other sections of the 3-million-square-foot development are fully enclosed -- including The Collections, a more than 400,000-square-foot area that will be occupied by upscale retailers such as Barneys New York and Saks Fifth Avenue and covered with a glass roof to create an outdoor atmosphere in a year-round climate.

The ski slope -- its gaudy red, yellow and orange color scheme leftover from the development’s Xanadu days -- is still awaiting a makeover. Renderings provided by the developer, Triple Five, have shown it will be white, like the rest of the complex."

Last edited:

NYDB

a 400,000 sq ft mall when brick and mortar retail is in a death spiral. Sounds good.

I guess they are hoping mom and dad drop their kids at the water park and spend the day shopping.

legalskier

a 400,000 sq ft mall when brick and mortar retail is in a death spiral. Sounds good.

I guess they are hoping mom and dad drop their kids at the water park and spend the day shopping.

The plans are for 45% retail and 55% entertainment.