• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Kids Ski Glove

skithetrees

Hi everyone. I apologize in advance if this post isn't properly placed. I want to share a new product that I created and am really excited about. Having two young kids, one of the most frustrating things about going outside in the winter was getting their gloves on. Neither my kids nor I liked mittens--the dexterity just wasn't there. But lining up their little fingers in gloves was impossible. Having an engineering background, my wife suggested that I do something about it. I thought about the problem for a while and realized that the issue was that they just couldn't see where their fingers were supposed to go. That led me to an "ahaaa" moment. I got some scissors and cut an old pair of gloves along the seams. My wife and I tried the modified gloves on our two kids and they went on without a hitch. I then ordered a cheap sewing machine from eBay and tried to sew zipper into the seam--it didn't go so great.

Fast forward to today, and I now have three professionally made prototypes.

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4844.JPG

I have also consulted with a close friend with fashion industry experience and locked in a factory that makes gloves for some of the top ski brands. The gloves are kid tested and approved. We think it is a great product and hope you take a look. Please share with your friends!

Zip-Glove Kickstarter

I would love your thoughts and feedback on the designs. Hope to see you on the *COVID-free* slopes this winter--my kids, wife, myself and the gloves will be at Magic.

Last edited:

cdskier

Just looking at the photo and your description I was having trouble visualizing what you did. Once I saw the video in the Kickstarter link it all made sense. That's pretty cool. I don't have kids, but I can certainly see this working.

skithetrees

Just looking at the photo and your description I was having trouble visualizing what you did. Once I saw the video in the Kickstarter link it all made sense. That's pretty cool. I don't have kids, but I can certainly see this working.
Thanks for the feedback--I updated with another picture. Sometimes you are so close to it you forget that it doesn't immediately make sense. I get involved in projects at work and try to explain super nuanced points to my wife and she just looks at me like "what are you talking about?" She gets it when I provide any sort of reasonable context :giggle:

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Are kids really able to zip up the gloves? Especially when they already have one glove on?

skithetrees

Are kids really able to zip up the gloves? Especially when they already have one glove on?
It is intended for parents to put on. But there are pull tabs on the zippers that make it possible for kids to do.

tumbler

I think this is a neat idea to be used for not skiing activities. Having put 3 kids little kids (now teenagers) through ski schools and programs, they learn how to get the gloves on by themselves pretty quick. We used the Hestra gloves which have the advantage of the long cuff to pull on and the wrist straps so they don't drop them off the lift.

skithetrees

I think this is a neat idea to be used for not skiing activities. Having put 3 kids little kids (now teenagers) through ski schools and programs, they learn how to get the gloves on by themselves pretty quick. We used the Hestra gloves which have the advantage of the long cuff to pull on and the wrist straps so they don't drop them off the lift.
We contemplated adding straps but decided against it at this time. These actually have a slightly extended cuff and are intended to go UNDER the jacket. We need to work on better promoting our Kickstarter (I am NOT a social media pro). That said, we may have some exciting retail partnerships to announce in the near future.