• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Lifts in the next years?

A

AlpinForum|LSAP

Hey,

does anybody has some information about new lifts going to be build this summer over there? or in the next summers?

Greg

Staff member
I understand Butternut is replacing the Highline double with a fixed grip quad. Also, keep an eye on the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge over the summer. As more resorts participate, you'll probably see info on lifts that are being added or upgraded.

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Belleayre new detachable quad...

I've been told we're supposed to be getting a new detachable quad to replace the high-speed quad we currently have. Last I heard it should be going in this summer. Let's hope so!

ChileMass

A couple of the locals at Mt. Orford (Quebec) told me in Feb to expect them to continue investing in new lifts and other facilities this summer and the next few years.....

Greg

Staff member
Re: Belleayre new detachable quad...

GadgetRick said:
...a new detachable quad to replace the high-speed quad...
Isn't "detachable" quad synonymous with "high-speed" quad?

T

trailbiscuit

Detachable and High Speed are the same type of lift. Common misconception, though. As a former ski area marketing type, I would see this all the time. In order for high speed lifts to operate, the chairs "detach" from the cable through the loading zone. Then reattach as they leave. This way the bullwheel remains at a constant speed. No different than most gondolas

Imagine trying to load a high speed lift, if it didn't detach! Ouch.

Greg

Staff member
trailbiscuit said:
As a former ski area marketing type
Where did you work, trailbiscuit? BTW, welcome to the boards!

T

trailbiscuit

I worked at Sunday River for 3 years, 1997 - 2000, in the marketing department. It was a great experience for a first job out of college - let me know exactly what I didn't want in a job! OK, it wasn't that bad, but it's a gig that can really burn you out. That being said, it does have some great perks!