• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northern New England ski area locusts and their subspecies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite1

With the arrival of Presidents Day and winter school vacation upon us, I am submitting this info:

Northern New England ski resort invasive locusts usually migrate from Southern New England, New York, and New Jersey metro areas in vast swarms that cause extensive damage to Northern New England ski areas. There are many subspecies. Here are some of them.

The most annoying and dangerous invasive locusts are the Vinnies. Vinnies are in their 20's and 30's and usually take one ski trip a year for about 2-3 days. They migrate to Northern New England ski resorts from the NYC, Boston, NJ, CT, and RI metro areas. They drink ten times more than they ski. If they make it to the lift by 11 am, it's an early start. By 2 pm, they're done and are drinking in the bars. A third of them ski drunk, a third ski drunk and stoned, and a third ski drunk, stoned and hung over. They often ski with Bruins, Rangers, or Devils hockey jerseys. If they ski into you from behind, it's your fault because you cut them off. The skier's responsibility code they don't even know exists; they have no responsibility of any kind. If you own a condo and rent it to them, you will be very sorry. They never ski in control and go dangerously fast. You know who they are because you can hear them yelling, hey, Vinnie-look-I'm skiing.

The most common invasive locusts are the peeps. Peeps are adults, many of them skiing with young children. They ski up to 15 days a year to get outside and never aspire to be better than an excellent intermediate skier on groomed runs. Therefore, you will not find them in the trees, nats, or moguls. Instead, after a few runs, they're in the lodges drinking coffee and connecting to the internet, planning their next vacation somewhere warmer. Peeps are friendly, polite, and respectful for the most part, but they swarm the northbound highways on Fridays in their EVs and Subarus, invading by the thousands. They are one of the main reasons for long lift lines, crowded ski slopes, bars, restaurants, and hotels. On Sunday afternoons, they cause massive traffic delays on the southbound highways as they migrate back to Southern New England, NY, and NJ.

Yahoo invasive locusts are adults, mostly wealthy, rude, and ignorant. Most live in the Boston or NYC metro areas or CT. Many of them own 2nd ski homes, and not only do they think they are smarter than you, but they also think they can ski better than you. They have no problem paying thousands of dollars extra for preferred parking, lift access, or private ski lessons. They buy the most expensive ski equipment and clothing and think it makes them the best skier on the mountain. If they take 15 runs, they believe they skied more and better than anyone else. They can't ride a lift without pulling out their phone for the latest crap on social media. Don't even try to say hello to them. If you do, they will ignore you. If they do talk to you, it's to tell you they are going out west on a ski trip. When driving their high-end SUV, they are the worst tailgaters and then pass you on the interstate going 100 mph, weaving in and out of traffic.

Raindrop locusts are the children of peeps, yahoos, and older Vinnies. They are old enough to ski without their parents or are enrolled in expensive ski schools and race programs. They also include teenagers. If they are the children of yahoos, their parents think they are the next Michaela Shiffrin or Body Miller. They straight line down every slope, and if they fall, they never get hurt and get back up and keep skiing. They can ski trees, nats, and moguls; many are park rats, and some like to ski backwards. Unfortunately, raindrops need to learn what alternating in a maze is, and they have never been taught the skier's responsibility code. Sometimes they ride the lifts noisily chewing on food and slurping a Red Bull. They arrive in even greater swarms during holidays and especially school vacation weeks.

Invader locusts arrive in large groups associated with bus trips, ski clubs, conferences, or other social occasions. You can smell the diesel exhaust fumes from their buses when they pull up in front of the ski lodge. Then, suddenly, the lift line is even longer, and they yell down from the lift at their buddies skiing underneath. They also text their buddies nonstop when riding the lifts. Then, they quickly fill up every seat in the lodges and take over the apres ski bars and restaurants with loud, raucous behavior.

Please feel free to describe other types of these invasive locusts to our Northern New England ski resorts. I read a post here recently about Jerries...are these similar to Vinnies?

snoseek

If you're lucky enough to live in town then you probably need the revenue. This is one of those weeks you give to the vacationers. Do you like chairlifts and snowmaking?

Puck it

The invasive flat lander is the worse of all species which is anything below the notch.

4aprice

Awesome New England/Yankee attitude.

"Get off my lawn you kids"

Wonder if the people who make their living in the leisure industry agree your with assessment of their customers.

I get it, holiday weekends are a pain. We see the same thing down here at the Jersey Shore in the summer. Know people who are basically shut in's on the big summer holiday weekends.

Without the visitors, the ski areas die. I would think in a season like this one New England should be much more welcoming then normal. Want to hold your grudge, have at it. Finding the life out west much more welcoming these days.

snoseek

Most of the "locals" aren't born and raised there anyhow...at least not the territorial ones. The real locals want the tourist$$$$. Bonus points if you are part of the work from home wave that spews this bullshit.

ThatGuy

If you have an elitist attitude over local vs non-local you probably are either not really a local (second homeowner) or a doucebag.
Thinking you are special because of what speck of dirt you were born on is asinine.

ColdRain&Snow

The most annoying and dangerous invasive locusts are the Vinnies. Vinnies are in their 20's and 30's and usually take one ski trip a year for about 2-3 days. They migrate to Northern New England ski resorts from the NYC, Boston, NJ, CT, and RI metro areas. They drink ten times more than they ski. If they make it to the lift by 11 am, it's an early start. By 2 pm, they're done and are drinking in the bars. A third of them ski drunk, a third ski drunk and stoned, and a third ski drunk, stoned and hung over.

Let’s meet for lunch at stratton this week :)

witch hobble

Nomenclature

Local: someone who lives in a certain locus. Doesn’t really matter when you came along, if you are not a visitor, not a transient, you are a local. In ski towns “Long time locals” hate the fact that some kid from the flatlands who just moved here last summer and may not even come back next winter is a “local”, but they are.

Native: someone who is born and bred in the location in question. A local can birth a native. Sometimes being a native just means that nobody in the direct bloodline has gotten the gumption to strike out for greener pastures. It might be because they have a real good thing going on, but could also be the result of apathy and poor
socioeconomics. But people who have long established roots certainly have a lot of opportunity to keenly know a place and it’s people very deeply. All the textures and idiosyncrasies of a place that visitors and “new locals” can’t necessarily pick up on (yet). Friendly, well connected, worldly natives are probably the highest order of locals.

raisingarizona

90 day wonder kids who act entitled to a locals discount are hilarious. I've been living out wet for 28 years now and I haven't been a local anywhere. I always ask people, are you a local kid? As in were you born here? My daughter is legit though.

witch hobble

I think you’re overthinking it. You get mail there? Pay bills and rent or motgage there? Buy groceries there? Put a kid through a school system there? You’re a local, bro.

witch hobble

Not saying entitled new kids in town are not funny, because they definitely are. Shit, I live in a college town……1000 new 18 year olds move in every August.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Never forget stopping in Rumford ME to go to the bathroom and get coffee, overhearing a local . His comments as I was behind him in line:
"massachusetts is dirty. They use the bathroom one after the other. Tell me that's sanitary."
What made made it comical is him and his obese girl? friend reeked of booze and were buying a handle of Arrow coffee brandy and of course cigarettes and lottery tickets. These 2 had more tattoos than teeth. So when I hear of locals resenting outsiders it really makes me chuckle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.