• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Not even safe in the hotel

kingslug

Just watched a news report of a ski hotel in Italy that got crushed in an avalanche...scary stuff. I was in a hotel in Switzerland that had a bank vault for a room...found out its the avalanche room. Can't imagine that happening here..but we do get inter lodged in Utah. The last time I was in Europe, Zermatt, 5 of our group hired a guide, we did too and had a pretty amazing day in the powder. While waiting for them in one of the lodges a massive avalanche came down near the lodge...it almost got them. The guide came in yelling about..something..he heard it and screamed for them to make a run for it. They got to a safe place but when they turned around the blast hit them a bit. They all came in covered by it..one guy said his glasses all of a sudden iced up. Scared the hell out of all of them. I was wondering why so few people where out in the powder fields..we managed to ski 6 days of powder, yet most of the locals stuck to the groomers...now I know why. Its why I recommend anyone venturing out into this kind of terrain to get at least a level 1 avalanche certificate..its a tough 3 day course..no lift service..you skin up..but totaly worth it. I did it in Utah and it taught me a lot.

ironhippy

Its why I recommend anyone venturing out into this kind of terrain to get at least a level 1 avalanche certificate..its a tough 3 day course..no lift service..you skin up..but totaly worth it. I did it in Utah and it taught me a lot.

here is a news report on the hotel in Italy - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/italy-farindola-death-reports-1.3942414

I took the level 1 avalanche course and it made me realize I will never venture into that type of terrain without a guide.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That is scary. From the look of the trees in the small valley between the mountain and the hotel, an avalanche had never run through there anytime within the last 100+ years.

Before (you can see the mountaintop where the avalanche originated):
6414774.jpg

Zermatt

They have been getting crazy sea effect snow in that region. Even so, the earthquake must have been the trigger. Forest looks way to dense for a big slide on its own.

Last edited:

Zermatt

First thought it was the slope with the cliffs, but I bet it went from that area way up Valley with no trees.

Last edited:

4aprice

They've been getting all sorts of earthquakes over there, from, what I understand is tied into a volcano near Naples (not Vesuvious(sp?)) 6 mile high blast of ash in Alaska recently. That's up there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jully

They've been getting all sorts of earthquakes over there, from, what I understand is tied into a volcano near Naples (not Vesuvious(sp?)) 6 mile high blast of ash in Alaska recently. That's up there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

You talking about Campi Flegrei?

Zermatt

_93662393_italy_avalanche_v2_624.jpg

Found that image online. No way it came from that top of Gran Sasso. Not unless it could cross ridges and flow up thousands of feet.

Looks most likely it came down through that shady valley above the hotel and that small triangular face above tree line.

KustyTheKlown

I studied abroad in Rome and didn't bring my ski clothes and then found out there was skiing like 2 hours away. shocked/bummed. was too poor to ski in Europe anyway back then

kingslug

I can't reconcile that image with anything I see on Google Maps near that hotel. I don't think those are the same mountains.
Oh..that's what almost came down on our heads...no where near the monster in Italy but bigger than anything I ever saw...

VTKilarney

Having spent quite a bit of time in Italy, the issue with many of the resorts that are south of the Alps is that the snow can be unreliable. But yes, people vastly underestimate the availability of skiing in Italy.