• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Intel?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Outrage and Double Diamond are legitimately steep. More open less gnarly versions of Twilight Zone at Magic. About the same (short) length as well.

Funny about someone saying Stratton has the best terrain out of the big SoVT three. If we're talking about cut trails I put Mount Snow first, Okemo a far second, and Stratton a very distant third.

NYDB

Outrage and Double Diamond are legitimately steep. More open less gnarly versions of Twilight Zone at Magic. About the same (short) length as well.

Funny about someone saying Stratton has the best terrain out of the big SoVT three. If we're talking about cut trails I put Mount Snow first, Okemo a far second, and Stratton a very distant third.
I said terrain and snow. More vert, higher base, higher peak, better trees, north facing for the most part. I have probably 200+ days at mt snow, 200+ at stratton and 10 at okemo. So I will concede i could be missing something at the big O. I dont think so though.

JoeB-Z

@ss20, I actually skied Okemo one day after the Vail take over last season. Though at that time, I think Vail left things alone.

Appreciate the suggestions. Will look for those good runs.

My biggest worry is lift lines. I really can’t stand in line for very long in a boot that’s barely broken in. (It was new last season, still working on it when resorts shut down). My feet go to sleep when I’m not actually skiing.
Boots don't really break in. They just pack out a little. Right at the base of Okemo is the Boot Pro. I have had very good service as they adjusted my boots. Yes, I bought the boots from them (at a great price) and footbeds. Then I went back with every little pressure point. Two times. Really snug, perfectly fitted boots are a pleasure. Add my boot heaters and I am in boot heaven.

Zand

I said terrain and snow. More vert, higher base, higher peak, better trees, north facing for the most part. I have probably 200+ days at mt snow, 200+ at stratton and 10 at okemo. So I will concede i could be missing something at the big O. I dont think so though.

Mt. Snow definitely has the best advanced terrain. North Face has quite a few fun trails. Ripcord would be a quadruple black diamond at Stratton. The Trials is easily the best glade in Southern VT outside of Magic. Stratton does have a ton of underrated glades, and often in good condition because the typical Stratton clientele is afraid of anything steeper or narrower than they could drive down in their Mercedes. My favorite thing about Okemo is that the different mountain faces tend to all ski different depending on the weather, so if Jackson Gore sucks, South Face is usually good and vice versa.

If I had the choice to ski any one of them, it would be Mt Snow for sure. But I've warmed up to Stratton a bit after getting a good glade day there. I don't hate Okemo but it's so easy to drive by when Magic and Killington are both 20 minutes away.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If I had the choice to ski any one of them, it would be Mt Snow for sure. But I've warmed up to Stratton a bit after getting a good glade day there. I don't hate Okemo but it's so easy to drive by when Magic and Killington are both 20 minutes away.

My ski club house used to be 10 minutes from Okemo, 10 minutes from Magic, and 35 minutes from K Skyeship. In the past five years I think I've skied Okemo twice lol. The "drive by" factor is very real...few people realize how close K and Okemo are. It's not even 20 minutes from Jackson Gore to the Skyeship.

Cobbold

My ski club house used to be 10 minutes from Okemo, 10 minutes from Magic, and 35 minutes from K Skyeship. In the past five years I think I've skied Okemo twice lol. The "drive by" factor is very real...few people realize how close K and Okemo are. It's not even 20 minutes from Jackson Gore to the Skyeship.
Rather ski okemo than killington, especially weekends, never got the killington hype, most overrated Mtn in Vermont, in my opinion

cdskier

Rather ski okemo than killington, especially weekends, never got the killington hype, most overrated Mtn in Vermont, in my opinion
jon stewart what GIF

ScottySkis

Twice the snow average
Yes just ski vertical 1600 average on several hills with millions of tress and step hate that place not

jimmywilson69

to each his own... While I can certainly enjoy skiing at Okemo, I'd much rather ski at Killington. Hell on a clear day, from Okemo you can actually see how much bigger Killington actually is!

Also I think you can navigate away from crowds easier on a weekend at Killington. so many lift and base area options.

kingslug

Skied K a million times. Stratton twice..not into it. Okemo twice..meh but it was great after a 20 incher and Stowe was closed. But i'll make the 5 hour drive to Stowe anytime over any of them. Ok..K is great but much more costly for me now. This season, Gore is the go to place.

skiur

Boots don't really break in. They just pack out a little. Right at the base of Okemo is the Boot Pro. I have had very good service as they adjusted my boots. Yes, I bought the boots from them (at a great price) and footbeds. Then I went back with every little pressure point. Two times. Really snug, perfectly fitted boots are a pleasure. Add my boot heaters and I am in boot heaven.

Packing out a little is the same thing as breaking in.

skiur

Thanks for a good morning laugh! That was quite funny!

abc

This is the "Okemo Intel" thread.

If you're not interested in skiing Okemo, why do you even bother opening the thread?

skiur

This is the "Okemo Intel" thread.

If you're not interested in skiing Okemo, why do you even bother opening the thread?

Same reason everyone else that doesn't love okemo opened this thread.

Cobbold

to each his own... While I can certainly enjoy skiing at Okemo, I'd much rather ski at Killington. Hell on a clear day, from Okemo you can actually see how much bigger Killington actually is!

Also I think you can navigate away from crowds easier on a weekend at Killington. so many lift and base area options.
Killington is the bigger Mtn, but no top to bottom runs they intersect every thousand yards or so and people all stop to see which way to go, then if you decide to go to another section of killington, you are skiing sideways to get their, killington is for rich beautiful people who like to stand around look important, glad people cram into killington, less people at the places I ski.