• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Intel?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Killington is the bigger Mtn, but no top to bottom runs they intersect every thousand yards or so and people all stop to see which way to go, then if you decide to go to another section of killington, you are skiing sideways to get their, killington is for rich beautiful people who like to stand around look important, glad people cram into killington, less people at the places I ski.

I would say the opposite is true. Okemo has a far more wealthy clientele with more casual skiers than K. One need only look at the real estate pricing to compare. FAR more properties $600k and up in Ludlow. And I would say the fact that Killington has maybe not the best expert terrain in the East, but likely the most means it draws far more hardcore skiers vs casual.

Anyways, neither place really rate all that highly for me. I don't care for southern VT crowds. I like K better, but if I'm going to VT, I'm looking north of there.

abc

Despite all the chest thumping, nobody seem to have skied at Okemos lately that can provide a lift line report?

Pez

I was there on the 14th, a thursday.

the only wait was for the 6 pack bubble. and that wasn't more than 3 minutes.

my favorite terrain is the south side, but the snow wasn't great. had a better time on the main face and jackson gore

skiur

Despite all the chest thumping, nobody seem to have skied at Okemos lately that can provide a lift line report?
Midweek there will be no lift lines. On the weekend there will.

abc

Why would I have to be there to know that there won't be lines midweek but there will on the weekend? It's common knowledge.
Common according to what source & evidence?

Not all the mountains have no lines mid-week. And not all mountains have long lines on weekends. And it may varies by specific lifts. That's the kind of information only people who skied in the particular mountain regularly or recently can provide. Your comments are useless at best, misleading at worst.

skiur

Not all the mountains have no lines mid-week. And not all mountains have long lines on weekends. And it may varies by specific lifts. That's the kind of information only people who skied in the particular mountain regularly or recently can provide. Your comments are useless at best, misleading at worst.
No, I haven't skied okemo lately. But I drive thru ludlow all the time. During the week ludlow is empty. Over the weekend it is packed. The mountain is the same.

Edd

So, to be clear, all parking sucks at Okemo, right? If I want to avoid going in buildings and do parking lot beers, is there a best choice, minimizing the walking distance to the car? I’d get there before lifts spin.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, to be clear, all parking sucks at Okemo, right? If I want to avoid going in buildings and do parking lot beers, is there a best choice, minimizing the walking distance to the car? I’d get there before lifts spin.
Correct

The closet thing to decent parking is near Tom's Loft Restaurant or the first little bit of the Upper main lot. Both still require at least a couple hundred yard walk to a lift and 6-8 flights of stairs.

Closest parking situation comparison I can make of a ski area I know you are familiar with is Sugarloaf.

chuckstah

Yeah Edd, there's really no good parking, but I slightly prefer Jackson if there early. As for the mandatory beer, bring one up first run and stash it in the snow, and remember where. When time for a break extract the beer and ski down to the Jackson base. Enjoy by the fire. Bring a koozie😀

deadheadskier

Staff member

Please site examples of major Northeast areas that have bad midweek lines during non-holiday weeks that are not powder days.

Please site examples of major Northeast ski areas that don't have bad lines on weekends. Most places do have a few lifts to hide from peak day crowds. In this example Black Ridge, Green Ridge, Glades Peak and Sachem chairs at Okemo are less traveled. All of them are Fixed Grip chairs. That's kind of the common denominator for less traveled weekend lifts at major areas.

When I say major Northeast ski areas, I'm referring to places like Okemo that average 200k+ skier visits a season. Okemo is more like 5-600k

Skiurs generalization is pretty much right on the money. I'm not sure you will find another forum member that disagrees with him like you have here

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fair enough

How bad?

If I had phrased the question "New England" the answer would be zero major ski areas have bad lines midweek, non holiday/powder days.

Have fun at Okemo. Doubt you see any line longer than 5 minutes outside of the main mountain six pack. And that might be ten because of Covid, but I highly doubt it

abc

And that might be ten because of Covid, but I highly doubt it
But THAT was the intel I was after, Covid impact on the lines!

Everyone knows midweek will be less crowded than weekend. So needless to say midweek lines will be shorter or non-existent. But with the reduced chair "fill factor", it became a question of whether it's still a long enough line or just practically no line.

Also, "powder day" definition is a bit fluid in New England speak. When I asked the question, BEFORE all the chest thumping got everyone off track, it was for this week. It's been snowing every single day this week, and it's right on top of a significant dump the previous weekend.

In fact, Friday at Mount Snow, the line on the Bluebird, while not exactly major league long, was far from "no line". I didn't have a watch, but even on the single's line, it was 5 min or more. The main line would have been closer to 10 or thereabout. That's by no means "no line". I don't know how Okemo was on Friday. It may be better, or worse?