• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Intel?

Vince

Park at Jackson Gore. You can probably drop your skis off first near the archway of the hotel. The line for the Sunburst 6 person covered chair might be 10 minutes on weekdays at the most crowded time of the day. Other than that not much. The shortest line is always South Face then Solitude.

ScottySkis

But THAT was the intel I was after, Covid impact on the lines!

Everyone knows midweek will be less crowded than weekend. So needless to say midweek lines will be shorter or non-existent. But with the reduced chair "fill factor", it became a question of whether it's still a long enough line or just practically no line.

Also, "powder day" definition is a bit fluid in New England speak. When I asked the question, BEFORE all the chest thumping got everyone off track, it was for this week. It's been snowing every single day this week, and it's right on top of a significant dump the previous weekend.

In fact, Friday at Mount Snow, the line on the Bluebird, while not exactly major league long, was far from "no line". I didn't have a watch, but even on the single's line, it was 5 min or more. The main line would have been closer to 10 or thereabout. That's by no means "no line". I don't know how Okemo was on Friday. It may be better, or worse?
Just ski great out now be glad u can make best of it
Not everyone in world can just go when they want with transport and health
U changed over a decade on here

kingslug

I skied Hunter for 10 years on Mondays when I had that day off..it was totally empty..me and a few retired guys and some racers. its packed now. It has changed.
Have to see once this madness is over.

keyser soze

It's changed this year probably due to the quarantine restrictions in Vermont and people now get their fix in NY which has much less restrictions.

abc

U changed over a decade on here
Of course I changed! Nobody stays stagnant in life.

10 year prior, I was busy working and saving. I had less time skiing so I ski whatever I could. Now I'm in the tail end of my career and have a lot more flexibility (even before Covid-related WFH scheme). I get to pick and choose when and where I ski. When I have choices, I choose to ski the better condition I can get to.

Yes, after skiing in the west a lot, I'm spoiled. I only ski in the east when condition is "good". And my "good" definition is clearly colored by all my days out west.

Also, I'm 10 year older. I'm not going to trash my knees the way I used to when I was younger. So no, I don't ski when it's an ice ring. Or when it's full of out-of-control yahoos.

The ski industry also changed the last 10 year. Alterra was created 3 years ago. Vail bought Peak last year. That changed the calculation on what pass to get, where to ski. And it changes how many of the northeast mountain skis. The crowd level changed dramatically when Alterra came to the Northeast. It changed even more dramatically when Vail bought so many of the mountains.

So yes, I changed. The ski industry changed. Even this forum changed. I'm not looking back and reminiscent on the older days. I look forward to the future. Whatever it brings, I'll change to embrace it.

kingslug

Warren Miller used to say..the more things change the more they remain the same.
This is no longer true.
But what the hell..conditions are good...21 days so far ..might hit 35 to 40..so I'm good.
When one place sux..I find another.

St. Jerry

Well, prior to last year I skied all of 3 days at Okemo out of several hundred days in NY and VT over the prior 40 years. Boring, borng, boring mountain.

However, wife and kids went to Okemo last year as part of Epic Pass and absolutely loved it. So gues what? Okemo is now our "home mountain". It is what it is, I suppose. Making the best of it.

Cobbold

Well, prior to last year I skied all of 3 days at Okemo out of several hundred days in NY and VT over the prior 40 years. Boring, borng, boring mountain.

However, wife and kids went to Okemo last year as part of Epic Pass and absolutely loved it. So gues what? Okemo is now our "home mountain". It is what it is, I suppose. Making the best of it.
Rather be at okemo than killington, but then again I rather ski the old Bousquet before I skied killington, but that’s just me

skiur

If blue cruisers are what your into then okemo is definitely better than Killington.

Cobbold

If blue cruisers are what your into then okemo is definitely better than Killington.
Killington trail intersections mean you never ski top to bottom, just till the next intersection, I hate that, but that’s just me

skiur

Killington trail intersections mean you never ski top to bottom, just till the next intersection, I hate that, but that’s just me

Certainly a problem with the groomers at K, has been helped out lately with getting rid of the snowshed crossover and addition of a few tunnels, not really an issue on the expert terrain. I definitely would recommend anyone who prefers to ski groomers all day to go to okemo.

big_vert

It is now your job as a good father to show them the error of their ways. Do you feed them white bread? Do you drink lite beer? Do you drive a chevy? Do you watch a lot of sitcoms?

Nokemo is the blandness of life personified on a ski hill. It's "personality" is completely vapid, with no compelling attributes. The runs are all featureless, and essentially the same with nothing to discern from one to the other. You need to show your wife and kids something with personality. Take them to Magic for a day, and if they don't realize what they're missing, then YOU need to do some SERIOUS introspection of where you've gone wrong in bringing them up.

Nokemo is like an average looking gold digger with zero personality. OK, someone will deal with it for the obvious reason, but anyone who appreciates even the OK things in life would avoid it like the plague. Even the lift layout having to take one of two slow lifts from the base and then go through the bunny hill is like the special needs of ski areas. Who in their right mind would come up with that?

Terrible place.

KustyTheKlown

It is now your job as a good father to show them the error of their ways. Do you feed them white bread? Do you drink lite beer? Do you drive a chevy? Do you watch a lot of sitcoms?

Nokemo is the blandness of life personified on a ski hill. It's "personality" is completely vapid, with no compelling attributes. The runs are all featureless, and essentially the same with nothing to discern from one to the other. You need to show your wife and kids something with personality. Take them to Magic for a day, and if they don't realize what they're missing, then YOU need to do some SERIOUS introspection of where you've gone wrong in bringing them up.

Nokemo is like an average looking gold digger with zero personality. OK, someone will deal with it for the obvious reason, but anyone who appreciates even the OK things in life would avoid it like the plague. Even the lift layout having to take one of two slow lifts from the base and then go through the bunny hill is like the special needs of ski areas. Who in their right mind would come up with that?

Terrible place.

love your post because its spot on. you can probably write the same post about stratton, which i tolerate sometimes early and late season only bc it is free and close-ish to home.

also, a friend with kids serves them wonder bread and our group text has a running joke about how he's a terrible father for that. so really, spot on.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Terrible place.
Amen, but if that's your cup of tea, to each his own. Child abuse?🤔

St. Jerry

Terrible place.

I blame it on the Epic pass. My rule is if we go up for the weekend, it's only one day at Okemo and the other at Mt. Snow. I've taken the family all over the west, NY & VT to ski and yet Okemo is their favorite.... They love the boring groomers and also it's where many of their friends ski, so there is that.

Btw, first world problem here.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I blame it on the Epic pass. My rule is if we go up for the weekend, it's only one day at Okemo and the other at Mt. Snow. I've taken the family all over the west, NY & VT to ski and yet Okemo is their favorite.... They love the boring groomers and also it's where many of their friends ski, so there is that.

Btw, first world problem here.
My kids really love Okemo too. Even after 2 awesome days with perfect conditions at Mt Snow over MLK Weekend they say they prefer Okemo. Apart from liking the groomers, I think the heated seats on the Sunburst bubble - and a second bubble chair for when the first gets crowded are big factors for them. And keeping kids warm enough to be happy skiing full days is a factor for me as well. Kids smaller bodies are more susceptible to cold.