• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Mountain - 4/6/2008

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 4/6/2008, 11:15 - 4:15 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Okemo Mountain, Vermont

Conditions: Firm bumps early, softening later, cloudy, temps in the 40's.

Trip Report: On the way up this morning, I figured out I haven't been to Okemo in 11 years, last in February 1997 with my wife (then GF). Was looking forward to hitting the OkeMoguls in 50 degree temps and sunshine. Unfortunately, the weather forecast didn't pan out. Still a great day though.

Met up with powhunter, johnnypoach + daughter Alyssa (sp?), and ALLSKIING. We got started about 11:15. We were in no rush since we knew the bumps would be firm early. None of us really knew the mountain all that well (Dave's first time, in fact) so it was fun stumbling around the place. Finally found the lower mountain bumps runs - Black Out, Sel's Choice and Ledges. BO was firm early - decent lines, Sel's was softer and longer with better lines. Ledges was a bit more inconsistent and short - still fun though. Saw severine on the Sachem Quad above us.

We then made out way to the South Face. Dave, Steve and I were surprised by Outrage which was an awesome gladed run with a lot of character. Firm surface, but very skiable. We wanted to try neighbor Double Diamond, but never got a chance. We wanted to hit Sel's again so we took Mountain Road from the summit. We found another cool run called the Narrows which was just that; a narrow traverse though the woods. Anyone that claims there is no character at Okemo has got it wrong.

Spent the rest of the day lapping Jolly Green Giant (cruiser that reminded me of the upper mountain cruisers on the main face at Mount Snow) to Sel's Choice. Sel's was the choice trail of the day. ;) Eventually hooked up with 2knees and then bvibert. Pat split out a bit after 3 pm. Took a few runs with Brian and then hooked up with Steve for one final run on Sel's. We then made the Sachem Quad at 3:59 to hit Ledges again. Stayed cloudy all day, but the bumps were soft. Really fun today!

I would like to say that Okemo does not at all get a fair shake and often times gets bashed undeservedly (Slokemo, etc.). Yeah, not a ton of pitch, but there are some character runs. Outrage was great and I imagine Double Diamond was similar. Looks like there is some other great terrain on the South Face. Never made it to Jackson Gore, but I hear there is some fun stuff over there too. The seeded bump runs are second to none.

So, does it have the character of Magic? No. Is it overly steep? No. can you have a lot of fun there? Hell effin yeah, as we did today. At about 2:40, it's only a bit further than Mount Snow for me. I'm sure there are a lot of neat little trails here and there. I'll definitely be back and won't wait another 11 years to do so.

Thanks for the great company too, everybody! Vids:

High Res: Okemo: 4/6

YouTube:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I thought it was really funny to see you from the chair so soon after I called Brian and asked if that would be the run of the day. :D

Today was my first time hitting Okemo. We had a late start and a not so pleasant ride up with a cranky infant. But it was nice to get out. I only had 4 runs, (from South Ridge Quad B to Sachem Quad, Easy Street>Home Stretch>Sachem, Lower World Cup, and then another Easy Street>Home Stretch>Sachem) but my knee held up well. I was actually having more problems with my feet acclimating to new boots than I was with my knee. Would have loved to have skied more but Brian and I were taking turns with lodge parent duties and I wanted to give him a chance to get out and enjoy the mountain.

I also had a chance to meet the Ski Diva herself today! :D

I will definitely return to Okemo.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Absolutely!

Next winter it will be easier to travel with the kids, too (or get someone to take them for a day trip, possibly!). They were much better in the lodge today than our trip to Mt. Snow at the beginning of the season. It gives me hope!!! :D

gmcunni

Sounds like a great day.. I'm majorly jealous, i was planning to go to Okemo last Thursday but work got in the way at the last minute.

Glad you guys had fun! We need more Okemo fans around here ;-)

2knees

had a blast today. Sels was the bomb, no doubt. Okemo hits it out of the park for moguls. i couldnt care less what anyone says about the place. any ski area that sets up multiple choices of prime moguls is fine in my book. I really wanted to just lay back and take it real easy again today but you guys were rippin it. nice work guys.

i did make it to 3:30 greg, btw. :lol: my season, if it is to continue, will be in 3 or 4 hour days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've probably skied Okemo over 500 days in my life. It was my 'growing up' mountain and Sel's was my trail. It typically had great bumps pre-seeding days in the 80's and 90's. For many years they stopped bumping Black Out which made no sense.

Outrage is a fun trail, has a cool kind of natural half pipe on the skiers right about midway down. Double Diamond is a bit less interesting. They simply took a few too many trees out, kind of like Oz at SR.

Glad you all had fun. Okemo does get a lot of undeserved flack. It is not my favorite, but without question I think it is the best run ski area in New England. The Mueller's do a heck of job with the terrain and natural snow limitations they have.

Someday I'll make it back. It's been a long time. Probably pretty close to eleven years myself

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great day, even if I only got 2 hours in!

Question, and if you don't feel comfortable answering it public, a PM would suffice. On days when the two of you have your kids with you, do you buy one lift ticket and then just switch the coat back and forth? I honestly see no problem with that. I know I would if I had kids and a wife that skied. I can see why resorts would be against it, but if you have two skiing parents and children a tad young for daycare, I see no problem with it and really don't view it as 'theft of services'

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Walked in the door 30 min ago :-o Took a wrong turn and ended up in NJ...Then I decided to drive through manhattan ro get back to the LIE...That was fun:roll:

Anyway, Okemo is way better then I thought it was going to be. Outrage blew my mind...Give it some more pitch and you could be at MRG on that run. Bumps were sweet by 1pm. Great day!!

2knees

Walked in the door 30 min ago :-o Took a wrong turn and ended up in NJ...Then I decided to drive through manhattan ro get back to the LIE...That was fun:roll:

Anyway, Okemo is way better then I thought it was going to be. Outrage blew my mind...Give it some more pitch and you could be at MRG on that run. Bumps were sweet by 1pm. Great day!!

makin a long drive longer. i've done it and it sucks.

Nice bumpin dave, you were nailing it today.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work on the vid Greg. I was surprised to not see my crash in there.. I liked the closing shot of the 4 pairs of bump skis riding the lift...

jack97

The bumps look sweet.

Okemo is one of the first to blow snow and seed a bump run. During the start of the season (along with Sunapee), I look for the bump run in the reports. Also, they are willing to mow down a bump field if it ever gets too icy and re seed it later..... that's commitment to the cause :beer:.

Greg

Staff member

Unlikely. I might do one final Sunday to close out the season at Sugarbush, hopefully in May!

I also had a chance to meet the Ski Diva herself today! :D

Nice to meet you, Brian, & Greg!

Yes, nice to meet the Diva!

had a blast today. Sels was the bomb, no doubt. Okemo hits it out of the park for moguls. i couldnt care less what anyone says about the place. any ski area that sets up multiple choices of prime moguls is fine in my book.

EXACTLY! In addition to the bumps, there is some interesting terrain as well.

I really wanted to just lay back and take it real easy again today but you guys were rippin it. nice work guys.

i did make it to 3:30 greg, btw. :lol: my season, if it is to continue, will be in 3 or 4 hour days.

Well, you looked good. Sorry the knee was barking...

Oof! :blink: Dave you again get the award for one of the most dedicated skiers on this board. Living on LI and getting up to Vermont as often as you do has to be a challenge, yet you pull it off.

Also, great to get you to a few new hills this season - MRG, Magic and now Okemo!

Nice bumpin dave, you were nailing it today.

Indeed! Dave was just killing it. Keep at it with those 1080s! 8)

Greg - Nice vid, as usual. :D So you'll be returning for more Okemoguls next season? :D

Thanks. Without a doubt.

The bumps look sweet.

Okemo is one of the first to blow snow and seed a bump run. During the start of the season (along with Sunapee), I look for the bump run in the reports. Also, they are willing to mow down a bump field if it ever gets too icy and re seed it later..... that's commitment to the cause :beer:.

I agree it's great they show such a commitment to bumps. We even noticed them touting them on the screen at the base of the North Star Express which I do remember from my visit 11 years ago. That quad screams.