• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Mountain - 4/6/2008

tjf67

WOW looks like a great day. Glad to see the kids are better.

Greg

Staff member
WOW looks like a great day. Glad to see the kids are better.

Abby is much better. Thanks. She was actually better on Friday. I was this [] close to jumping in the car and getting to Whiteface at noon. Instead, I opted to sit tight and ski yesterday. It made me feel a little bit better about missing Whiteface.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Unlikely. I might do one final Sunday to close out the season at Sugarbush, hopefully in May!

Yes, nice to meet the Diva!

EXACTLY! In addition to the bumps, there is some interesting terrain as well.

Well, you looked good. Sorry the knee was barking...

Oof! :blink: Dave you again get the award for one of the most dedicated skiers on this board. Living on LI and getting up to Vermont as often as you do has to be a challenge, yet you pull it off.

Also, great to get you to a few new hills this season - MRG, Magic and now Okemo!

Indeed! Dave was just killing it. Keep at it with those 1080s! 8)

Thanks. Without a doubt.

I agree it's great they show such a commitment to bumps. We even noticed them touting them on the screen at the base of the North Star Express which I do remember from my visit 11 years ago. That quad screams.

Thanks Greg....looking at the vid I still need to pull my stance in a bit more.....Your knees look like they are glued together.

2knees

Thanks Greg....looking at the vid I still need to pull my stance in a bit more.....Your knees look like they are glued together.

that last clip it looks like he has one leg. great job there Greg.

Watching that vid makes me laugh though. All winter I was working on trying to stay in contact with the snow as much as possible. One spring day and all that goes out the window. I don't care if its the "wrong" way to ski moguls. smashing spring bumps is just so fun. lol I know its wrong but it feels so right.

I think johnnypoaches' goal is to annihilate each and every bump. I've never seen so many explosions.

Greg

Staff member
that last clip it looks like he has one leg. great job there Greg.

Watching that vid makes me laugh though. All winter I was working on trying to stay in contact with the snow as much as possible. One spring day and all that goes out the window. I don't care if its the "wrong" way to ski moguls. smashing spring bumps is just so fun. lol I know its wrong but it feels so right.

I think johnnypoaches' goal is to annihilate each and every bump. I've never seen so many explosions.

Thanks for the kind words. Working on it. Now I need to get taller and out of the back seat...holy moly... :roll:

I found myself airing out and smashing the piles, 2knees-style a bit too. I love John's "Explosion!" call out in the vid... :lol: Just an easy going fun guy. Doesn't post here, but he's as enthusiastic as any of us.

SKIQUATTRO

thats what my wife and i did and still do on occasion when one of us has to stay in the lodge and watch one of the kiddies.....

Mikey1

Looks like you all had a great day at Okemo! I wasn't there yesterday but typically ski there 4-6 days each season and have been doing so for years. Glad to see you were able to check out Outrage, which is definitely a cool glade, but there are a number of others there as well. Be sure to check out Forest Bump and Loose Spruce in the South Face area, (now closed for the season). Punchline also usually has moguls in this area. I know you didn't get over to Jackson Gore, but they have two glades, Black Hole (shorter, steeper, with tighter trees), and Supernova (very long). They also have Big Bang, a natural ungroomed trail, which usually has good bumps and is pretty lengthy. A seeded bump run is Upper Limelight, and this year because of the bountiful snow, you could ski the trails they had started to cut, but haven't finshed yet. In the Solitude area, an often overlooked bump run is The Plunge. On the Main mountain, it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun on Sel's, Blackout, and Ledges. Sel's is usually the first seeded bump run in Vermont, usually by early December. For you guys with young aspiring rippers, try the Whistler glades. Low angle and great for kids.

If you guys are going again this year, let me know, I will be glad to show you around. If not this year, then definitely next!

2knees

Looks like you all had a great day at Okemo! I wasn't there yesterday but typically ski there 4-6 days each season and have been doing so for years. Glad to see you were able to check out Outrage, which is definitely a cool glade, but there are a number of others there as well. Be sure to check out Forest Bump and Loose Spruce in the South Face area, (now closed for the season). Punchline also usually has moguls in this area. I know you didn't get over to Jackson Gore, but they have two glades, Black Hole (shorter, steeper, with tighter trees), and Supernova (very long). They also have Big Bang, a natural ungroomed trail, which usually has good bumps and is pretty lengthy. A seeded bump run is Upper Limelight, and this year because of the bountiful snow, you could ski the trails they had started to cut, but haven't finshed yet. In the Solitude area, an often overlooked bump run is The Plunge. On the Main mountain, it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun on Sel's, Blackout, and Ledges. Sel's is usually the first seeded bump run in Vermont, usually by early December. For you guys with young aspiring rippers, try the Whistler glades. Low angle and great for kids.

If you guys are going again this year, let me know, I will be glad to show you around. If not this year, then definitely next!

i hit supernova and black hole earlier this year. lapped supernova a bunch of times. not steep but real real fun. It works down the hill in a series of steps almost. much fun. I was thinking about punchline too. It was just seeded when i was there in february but with it being higher up and no sun, i figured it would be much more setup. Really, only the bottom 1/3rd of the mtn had true spring conditions. It was rather firm up top yesterday.

Greg

Staff member

Nice, Mike! I could tell there was a lot more there than what we stumbled upon. Sounds like a fair number of character trails, trees, bumps. I'm still scratching my head as to why people like to hammer this hill so much... :-?

My only complaint about Okemo is having to take those brutal FGQs out of the base area. They are slow as it is and service beginner terrain so they stop a lot. I remember not liking that part the last time I was there. But once on the main mountain, the place does have some fun terrain.

jack97

My only complaint about Okemo is having to take those brutal FGQs out of the base area. They are slow as it is and service beginner terrain so they stop a lot. I remember not liking that part the last time I was there. But once on the main mountain, the place does have some fun terrain.

Maybe first impressions are lasting... those lifts are not a good way to start the day. Also, it sucks big time if you have to go back to the lodge if you or other members in your party forgot something. Supposedly, the Jackson Gore area was suppose to alleviate the traffic but you're right, that section attracts lots of newbies b/c of that big learning section and makes it a very slow ride at times.

gmcunni

My only complaint about Okemo is having to take those brutal FGQs out of the base area.

agreed. I've been using JG base the past few years and it is a little better but you still have to take a lift to get to another lift to get to the main portion of the mountain.

not sure if it was running this past weekend but at the main base lodge there is quick little poma lift on the left that you can take to get to the sachem quad.

Greg

Staff member
not sure if it was running this past weekend but at the main base lodge there is quick little poma lift on the left that you can take to get to the sachem quad.

I didn't notice it. There's a magic carpet that was running. The problem is the Sachem Quad is still a slow lift that only gets you half way up the mountain. I guess I'm just used to mountains like Sugarbush where the high speeders get you out of the base area and the slow lifts are the ones that take you to the top. Kind of a wash really...

bvibert

Staff member

The poma that was replaced by a magic carpet?

gmcunni

The poma that was replaced by a magic carpet?

not sure, i was only at Okemo once this year and parked @ JG.. i rode the sachem quad (yes, perhaps the slowest lift in New England) and glanced over to see what i thought was the good old poma moving folks up the hill from the base but didn't pay too close attention and if you say it is a magic carpet now then all i can say is.... nevermind :dunce:

jack97

not sure, i was only at Okemo once this year and parked @ JG.. i rode the sachem quad (yes, perhaps the slowest lift in New England) and glanced over to see what i thought was the good old poma moving folks up the hill from the base but didn't pay too close attention and if you say it is a magic carpet now then all i can say is.... nevermind :dunce:

I usually go over there for one day at the start of the season for the past four years (this year was the exception). I was looking for that poma to bypass the FGQs, all I saw was the carpet. IIRC, I did see a bare tower where pulley wheel could have been.

bvibert

Staff member
The last time I was there, several years ago, there was a poma there. All I saw this time was the carpet. That's all that's mentioned on the trail map also. I guess the carpet is fairly new then?

madskier6

Here are some pictures of Supernova from last Sunday, March 30. This was my favorite run of that day. I definteily like the glades & the advanced runs over at Jackson Gore

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Who says Okemo is flat & boring?

2knees

Here are some pictures of Supernova from last Sunday, March 30. This was my favorite run of that day. I definteily like the glades & the advanced runs over at Jackson Gore

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Who says Okemo is flat & boring?

nice pics jeff. I look at those, and then watching my vid from earlier and the trees look so much tighter on your pics then on my video. weird.

fun run for sure though.

powhunter

Walked in the door 30 min ago :-o Took a wrong turn and ended up in NJ...Then I decided to drive through manhattan ro get back to the LIE...That was fun:roll:

Anyway, Okemo is way better then I thought it was going to be. Outrage blew my mind...Give it some more pitch and you could be at MRG on that run. Bumps were sweet by 1pm. Great day!!

that sucks.......hey it was nice ripping with ya yesterday....and the rest of the boys...Im glad I gave okemo a look...well worth it...couldnt find any lines at K today that were that sweet!!!

steve