• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Overview of CT ski areas, please

bvibert

Staff member
They're trying to. The land is up for auction. So far, the town of Middlefield is the high-bidder with the plan of having Sundown's owners manage it. IOW, town owns land, leases to Sundow's peeps. This is the arrangement Leavitt was seeking. He also is in the bidding, and could potentially outbid the town. Leavitt wants to expand the area to a 4 season resort with water-park etc... Yes, he is insane, or really stupid. The auction is in Feb.

Interesting read

It's been a while since I've read about it, and I'm too lazy to check, but I thought Bob Switzgable (owner of Sundown) was actually going to purchase the portion of land that the ski area is on, while the town bought the remainder of the parcel?? I could be wrong though...

Paul

It's been a while since I've read about it, and I'm too lazy to check, but I thought Bob Switzgable (owner of Sundown) was actually going to purchase the portion of land that the ski area is on, while the town bought the remainder of the parcel?? I could be wrong though...

That may have been on the table at one time. I think just about every scenario has been pitched by now.