• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pandemic good or bad for the quality & quantity of your skiing/riding?

Andrew B.

Much more condensed season for me but same total days as would be typical (mid 60’s). Did not make any turns in October or November and stopped last weekend. We usually ski to late April - May 1. We moved north in early December and basically moved back last week. As mentioned earlier many days had less hours than a typical year.

65 ski days and 65 uphill skin laps

Tonyr

More average vertical per day than historically average; (26K vs 24k) since booting up at the car, skiing without going in the lodge and no apres ski didn't provide too many leisure activities, But, fewer days this year due to no western trip(s).

Epic Midweek NE Value Pass down to $18+ per day. No complaints.

I bought three passes for this season for the three of us. An Epic, Mountain Collective, and the spring Indy Pass plus I added two additonal 50% off days onto our Jackson Hole trip, 1 round of night skiing for the 3 of us at Greek Peak, 1 day at Killington for me, and 2 days at Deer Valley for me and 1 day for my son and wife. The three of us combined skied exactly 200 days this season the cost came out to roughly $25 per day when we were all said and done. It broke down as follows.....

135 days combined on our Epic pass at $16 per day.
48 combined days on our Mountain Collective pass at $29 per day.
12 combined days on our Spring Indy Pass at $39 per day.
1 day at Killington at $110 for the day.
4 combined days at Deer Vally at $200 per day. (That was a rip off!)

Last edited:

Pez

got about the average.. 17 days

had a few really good days condition wise. The variaety was lacking though

Butternut
Mount Snow
Okemo

still better than not skiing.

PAabe

I got like 40+ days on cross country skis due zoom university (sucks big time though, skiing kept me sane) including every day in February- fantastic snow year for Pennsylvania. We literally had like 1 hour of snow coverage here last year which was very bad.

10 days on the lifts but I was busy cross country. I am aiming to up that that next year although sadly the cross country number may not ever get beaten. I had first time visits to some cool places and got great snow conditions. 4 lift days on telemark as a noob, I am hooked. Average cost $40/day, pretty good for not having a pass.

Last edited:

urungus

Managed to rack up my most days ever, 56. All but 1 day in Massachusetts (Cannon March 22, after quarantine restrictions relaxed). Berkshire East saved my sanity this winter, but I’m looking forward to traveling to Vermont next season for some more variety.

ThatGuy

Seems like a lot of people got their most days ever with the least variety this season. I am definitely in that crowd with 25 days at Magic and 3 at Jay. Can’t complain too much all things considered and it was a great season overall besides the late start/early end.

Smellytele

Seems like a lot of people got their most days ever with the least variety this season. I am definitely in that crowd with 25 days at Magic and 3 at Jay. Can’t complain too much all things considered and it was a great season overall besides the late start/early end.
I had my least amount of lift days (32) and maybe my most variety (12)

chuckstah

My day count absolutely sucks at 25, but I can't blame Covid. Shitty slow start due to weather led to 4 days by Christmas. Than a foot injury put me on the sidelines for 3 weeks. Got out during the good times only to crash in early March and crack a couple ribs. Ouch. Kinda skied through it, but eventually needed another 2-3 weeks on the sidelines to heal. So now it's early April. How many more days? Hopefully at least a dozen....

boston_e

Fewest days for my family in many years. If I were to math out our passes we borderline justified the cost, but it is what it is and at least we got some days in.

Unlike many, working 100% remotely and spending most of the winter in ski country was not an option for us and unlike a good number of others we chose to play by the rules and followed the travel restrictions so getting to ski country was quite a bit more challenging. My kids did get a good number of nights as part of a race program at a small local hill so they at least had that sense of normalcy.

Not lamenting the end of this ski season at all. Skis are hung up and have already given the mt bikes a few good workouts.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Will wind up with 37 days much less than my usual 50. But it will also wind up being a 4 month season as well. Without November and April at K it's tough to hit 50 for me.

Stayed in NY all season big plusses were I got a Plattekill season pass and spent a bunch of days there. I will do that again next season. And I got to Gore a lot so I will also do the SKI3 again. Hopefully VT will be hassle free next season so I'll add a K midweek pass as well.

Glenn

We skipped the season. Booting up in the lot and no lodge access did not appeal to us. Did we miss it?...sort of. We'll make up for it next season. We did ride the snowmobiles a lot this year which was fun.

cdskier

Discovered Gore this season.
Great mountain. I'd love to go back there one day...although that would require both paying for a lift ticket and lodging. Still might be worth it at some point...

cdskier

When its fully open for sure. Hotels 1/2 hour away 100.00......close 175.00
Inn On Gore is where I used to stay. Very close but also quite "rustic". They're showing $90/night, but I'm suspecting that's a discounted rate for right now and not their normal mid-winter rate.

jaywbigred

This year will be my lowest ski day total in 20 years. If the Mount Snow close date of 4/18 holds, I'll get to 11 days, all at Mount Snow. We had a frustrating combo of a) me owning and running my own business which cannot be done remotely; b) my participation in that business making it impossible to quarantine as per Vermont definitions; c) us owning a ski condo in Vermont which houses 100% of our gear; and d) us being respectful of the VT (and NJ) travel guidelines.

I guess we could have made a quarantine-compliant trip to VT to get all our gear out of the condo, schlep it home, and then do trips to NY or PA, but instead we gambled on case counts coming down and/or vaccines becoming more available resulting in eased restrictions later in the season. The vaccine thing is what eventually happened and got me the limited days I got.

Mostly what I am lamenting is my 5 year old essentially missing a whole year of on-snow development. She is a scaredy cat by nature and progress has been slow during prior years/to this point, so I am thankful for this late season push. Hopefully she gets some confidence and we can really hit the ground running next year.

Slidebrook87

I have around 33 days this season. Not bad considering COVID. Early and late season have sucked in terms of coverage, but mid season had some of the best eastern conditions I have ever experienced. Definitely not a bad winter, in fact a pretty good one all things considered.

crank

Bad for both quality and quantity.

Because we did not want to fly we never went west this season.

Because skiing in Italy was closed and we could not travel there we never made it to the Dolomites in Italy where we still have a week paid for at a nice hotel.

Because of interstate travel rules, which we adhered to, we had to quarantine and test before going to VT and ME, requiring more advance planning and missing out on some of the best snow.

Still managed to get 14 days in and panning on a couple days of spring bumping at Killington soon.

We did consider staying in VT for a month or so but procrastinated booking a place and by the time we were ready to commit there was nothing that was acceptable to us available.