• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pat's Peak, AT Skiing on 01-31-16

granite

Due to family obligations on Friday and Saturday I was unable to make it to a big mountain for day three. On Sunday a 35 minute, 39 mile drive took me to Pat’s Peak where the skies were a mix of sun and clouds and the temperature almost 40 degrees. I put the climbing skins on, switched my bindings and boots to walking mode and began the uphill AT trek at 9:05 am. The designated uphill route to the summit are the green trails Blast and Zephyr. This is the longest top to bottom trail at the ski area, a distance of 1 ½ miles and about 780 feet of vertical. In exactly one hour I reached the summit and took in the view of Southern New Hampshire. I sat around the top for about 20 minutes and then took the same two trails back to the base. My skis sunk into the soft snow at least a couple of inches making it very easy and a lot fun to descend. For après ski I made my way inside the old, rustic A-frame lodge to the upper level and the Sled Pub where I had a 20 ounce PBR for $5.75. I like the old lodge, it has a nice old time ski vibe to it and the Pub is up high where the A-frame comes together. It has a real nice deck facing the slopes too. Most ski areas that allow uphill travel charge $5 or $10 for the privilege. At Pat’s Peak it’s free. You don’t even have to check in and get a pass-just show up at one of two routes they have and skin up the mountain. I am hoping to do some of the classic AT treks this winter in NH; Cardigan, Moosilauke, Tuckerbrook, Mount Washington, but the lack of snow and the lack of time is making it difficult. After paying $105 for a lift ticket at Stratton last weekend, it was nice to ski for free this time, even though I only had time to skin to the top and take one run down.