• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak--Vortex Chair

xwhaler

Was at Pats yesterday with my wife and son. Mainly focusing on getting my son more comfortable on skis. We did his 1st magic carpet ride which was great.
He wanted to go again and again too which I was thrilled about.

I did some runs myself as well but was disappointed the Vortex was not running.
Anytime I ski Pats I ride the Vortex and only the Vortex. It feels twice as fast as the triple/double and u avoid the run out/congestion in the base area.
The mtn skis pretty small when u have really short runs and a long chair ride. At least Vortex allows u to get a ton of quick vertical in.

Yesterday was not running and all chair pads were flipped up. Asked a liftie at the double and was told "probably not enough people"
Which I could see as it was not very busy given the rain but at least run the Vortex and not the Peak Double?
Not sure why Hurricane and Peak chairs were both needed....1 would have sufficed for anyone wanting those couple flat sections skiers right at the bottom.

I dunno---is this common at Pats? Snow report had Vortex open.
I have a midweek/night voucher I could use later this yr but would be less inclined to go if Vortex is not spinning.

deadheadskier

Staff member
agree 100%. Run the Vortex and not the Peak Double. I only see them run Vortex when Peak gets a line.

xwhaler

Vortex was running a couple weeks ago on the Sunday I was there. Allowed me to get 15 laps in the rain b/c it was quick up/down.
Yesterday was a bad combo of slow lift/short run/pouring cold freezing rain.
Good food/beers in Sled Pub though :-D

dlague

Vortex is always running at night because of racing. I have never been there with that lift not running except for their opening weekend however FIS and Twister had no snow so that made sense. Then again, I have never skied there mid week during the day. Now that I think about it, it is running during my son's school program - every Tuesday!

xwhaler

Vortex is always running at night because of racing. I have never been there with that lift not running except for their opening weekend however FIS and Twister had no snow so that made sense. Then again, I have never skied there mid week during the day. Now that I think about it, it is running during my son's school program - every Tuesday!

Good to know. I may do a night session up there at some point.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mid-week during the day it hasn't run when I've been there over the past few years. They start out with just Hurricane, then ramp up with the Peak and the Vortex once the school programs arrive. Usually by that time I'm in the bar and avoiding the crowds.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was at Pats yesterday with my wife and son. Mainly focusing on getting my son more comfortable on skis. We did his 1st magic carpet ride which was great.
He wanted to go again and again too which I was thrilled about.

I did some runs myself as well but was disappointed the Vortex was not running.
Anytime I ski Pats I ride the Vortex and only the Vortex. It feels twice as fast as the triple/double and u avoid the run out/congestion in the base area.
The mtn skis pretty small when u have really short runs and a long chair ride. At least Vortex allows u to get a ton of quick vertical in.

Yesterday was not running and all chair pads were flipped up. Asked a liftie at the double and was told "probably not enough people"
Which I could see as it was not very busy given the rain but at least run the Vortex and not the Peak Double?
Not sure why Hurricane and Peak chairs were both needed....1 would have sufficed for anyone wanting those couple flat sections skiers right at the bottom.

I dunno---is this common at Pats? Snow report had Vortex open.
I have a midweek/night voucher I could use later this yr but would be less inclined to go if Vortex is not spinning.

The two seasons I skied there they ran the Vortex during busy times and when races/training was underway. Agree that it is a sweet ride. If you go on the beer league night it will be running.

Smellytele

I was there Thursday night and was surprised the Vortex was not running and they were racing. They usually do run it on any racing day including weekend racing days.

I understand why they run the peak one on busier days. It allows for anyone leaving the lodge 2 options and spreads that crowd out. I always ride the vortex when it is running