• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

People Wearing Helmets Wrong

xlr8r

Skiing at Wachusett frequently, has led me to notice a lot of kids and teens (almost entirely snowboarders but I am not trying to be judgmental towards them) wearing their helmets wrong. They all seem to wear a beanie hat underneath with the helmet brim resting well above their forehead. Their goggles are therefore able to fit on their forehead below the helmet brim when they are not over their eyes.

This to me seems to be completely wrong as the helmet is not properly positioned on their head because the whole thing is tilted back too far, and their forehead is unprotected. But also by wearing a hat underneath shows to me that their helmets are too big to begin with.

Anyone else notice this or have a better knowledge of helmet use?

Hawkshot99

Most of these kids remove the liner of the helmet to allow room for the hat. But if they can rotate the thing backwards on their head it is likel to big.
Coming from the reps of 2 helmet manufactures, the helmets are not designed, nor tested to be worn like this. Personally I have tried my helmet on at home with the beanie, and goggles under, and could not believe how uncomfortable it was.

gostan

Yes, we see that all over the mountains.

To deal with the cold, I usually wear a very thin wind block neoprene stretch North Face beanie under my Smith Variant helmet. Helmet fits properly & safely with no beanie showing.

Puck it

You expect them to wear the helmet right when they can not wear their pants right. Now that is funny.

Powderhound

You mean pants hanging off your ass with your half boxers amd ass showing is not the proper way to wear your pants? Hmmmm, maybe I should buy a belt?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've always had better luck just pulling my jacket hood over my helmet on cold days. Last year at Sugarloaf it was blowing hard at the top and it must have been close to 0. I was totally warm.

witch hobble

Seriously though, it is a silly manifestation of de facto compulsory helmet wearing. These are kids who would prefer not to wear one but their moms or their sponsors make them....so it is subtle rebellion.

dlague

Yes we see that too, but then again we see people in the park without helmets! For what it is worth at least they have one on! Same as at a skateboard park where they do not fasten the chin strap or wear it loose!

It is what it is!

CoolMike

My helmet isn't actually a helmet because it doesn't meet ISO/ANSI helmet standards.

It does meet the standards for a hard hat and it fits my large and strangely shaped head, so I figure it is better than nothing.

I always wear a thin skullcap style hat under my helmet to keep my brains warm.

Sometimes I push it back a little to cool down my forehead. More often I wear it as designed.

As far as these whippersnappers with side-cocked helmets go let me just say this:
Helmet worn correctly > helmet worn poorly >>>> not wearing a helmet.
When it comes to traumatic brain injury something is much better than nothing if you hit a rock, tree, other rider, or faceplant some ice.

The Sneak

meh.
These are more or often than not people I wish weren't there anyway. Darwin works in mysterious ways...

dmc

meh.
These are more or often than not people I wish weren't there anyway. Darwin works in mysterious ways...

Welll..... Too F'ing bad... they are there to stay...

Maybe they are waiting for you to die as well... Probably not.. They probably don't even care that you exist... haha...

So 90's.... lame...

The Sneak

I am heartbroken they don't care I exist, believe me.
I don't like *stupid* kids - a sentiment that transcends the '90s'. 'haha...'