• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico 12/17/16

medfordmike

Broke in my season pass at Pico today. They have been getting some snow the past few days and today was no different. I arrived before 8:30 and it lightly snowed until around 1:30. This is my third season as a passholder. It was not busy but not unusual for this time of year. What was open was very good. Summit Glades was fantastic and I could have spent all day lapping it. It is one of my favorite trails and it barely saw any use last season. KA was a bit more packed down but still very worthwhile. They dropped the ropes on Upper Pike around lunch. Everything skied well including the natural trails beyond KA and Summit although I didn't hit Upper Giant Killer. Shame it is supposed to rain tomorrow. They don't have a snowmaking arsenal so they pick up steam slowly. The weather will set them back a bit but today was better than anything I had at Pico last season.

Snow covered summit:
pico summit.jpg

Fighting the crowds on KA:
lower ka.jpg

Lower Summit Glades:
lower summit.jpg

SkiRay

Will you be there during the Christmas/Holiday break?

Broke in my season pass at Pico today. They have been getting some snow the past few days and today was no different. I arrived before 8:30 and it lightly snowed until around 1:30. This is my third season as a passholder. It was not busy but not unusual for this time of year. What was open was very good. Summit Glades was fantastic and I could have spent all day lapping it. It is one of my favorite trails and it barely saw any use last season. KA was a bit more packed down but still very worthwhile. They dropped the ropes on Upper Pike around lunch. Everything skied well including the natural trails beyond KA and Summit although I didn't hit Upper Giant Killer. Shame it is supposed to rain tomorrow. They don't have a snowmaking arsenal so they pick up steam slowly. The weather will set them back a bit but today was better than anything I had at Pico last season.

Snow covered summit:
View attachment 21262

Fighting the crowds on KA:
View attachment 21263

Lower Summit Glades:
View attachment 21266

Medford - we had to pass on this weekend due to other scheduled activities - curious to know if you think the mountain will hold up this week? I know its cold so, wondering if it is now a skating rink...

Also, two more questions; are you in town during the break at all? And what did you think of our opening day "One Day" edit?

SkiRay

Zermatt

There is a lot of snow up there, but my guess is it is a skating rink now...but any bit of natural snow should get them going quick again.

Maybe something brewing for Thursday night, fingers crossed.

medfordmike

Medford - we had to pass on this weekend due to other scheduled activities - curious to know if you think the mountain will hold up this week? I know its cold so, wondering if it is now a skating rink...

Also, two more questions; are you in town during the break at all? And what did you think of our opening day "One Day" edit?

SkiRay

Hi Ray, there was a lot of snow up top on Saturday. My weekend place is in Grantham, NH (only about 1000 feet) and even after the rain I still had a lot of snow when I headed back this morning for work but I bet it is pretty firm at Pico after the freeze. I like to think of Sunday's unfortunate weather as a base building opportunity. If they get some natural trail count would climb back up.

Yes I saw the latest video. You folks should do some work for SkiVT or Powdr! I will also be up during the break. My husband hasn't skied in many years after a fall and resulting broken shoulder. However, this year he has decided to give it a go so I am introducing him to Pico while reintroducing him to skiing. Probably heading up on the 26th and should be up until Thursday or Friday unless weather is bad. Maybe I will finally get a chance to do a run or two with you folks this season?

SkiRay

Yes I saw the latest video. You folks should do some work for SkiVT or Powdr!

I will also be up during the break. My husband hasn't skied in many years after a fall and resulting broken shoulder. However, this year he has decided to give it a go so I am introducing him to Pico while reintroducing him to skiing. Probably heading up on the 26th and should be up until Thursday or Friday unless weather is bad. Maybe I will finally get a chance to do a run or two with you folks this season?

I don't even know if SkiVT knows us... Or maybe they do. I know we have reached out to them in the past. Our stuff really isn't that good - though like to think it is. :) We are shocked that Powder does now us and the Salomon guys do too. We were at an event and they were like "THEE ALBA ADVENTURES IS HERE" and we were like - what;

I hope your husband's shoulder heals up and PICO is a good place to take it easy and not be too bothered with crowds, even at the height of the season. Glad to hear that he is on the mend! I know how injuries can bring you down.

The weekend of the 26th! We should be there.. HOPING to see you! It's like 3 years we have been chatting on here.

Best, SkiRay