• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico - Feb 9 2018

WJenness

Was at Pico the day before you (2/8)... had a great time. Didn't get as adventurous as you, but still had a great time.

SkiRay

The one weekend we were not there.....

Glad you made it there to our home mountain.. You know what is funny, we have yet to ski BUSTED.

Great report.

SkiRay

Also, I wish my dad was still skiing. He stopped way back - after a knee injury in his mid-50's. Now in his late 70's - still in rock solid shape- though he is onto other adventures in warmer climates.

urungus

Thanks for the responses, I am looking forward to trying Summit Glades, Birch Glades (even if they are not really glades) and Giant Killer next time. Although I see in today’s report that they have gone from 100% open to only 19 of 57 trails open. Only blacks currently open are Upper KA and Exhibition (B slope closed for racing). Anyone know what the KA trail is named after?

SkiRay

KA - An important bit of history on Pico

Thanks for the responses, I am looking forward to trying Summit Glades, Birch Glades (even if they are not really glades) and Giant Killer next time. Although I see in today’s report that they have gone from 100% open to only 19 of 57 trails open. Only blacks currently open are Upper KA and Exhibition (B slope closed for racing). Anyone know what the KA trail is named after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lz1dtBtJU

urungus

Great videos, thanks. Loved the story about how he crashed the tractor into the tower pole.

bdfreetuna

Pico has too short of a season for me to call it my Home mountain. But I do like to go there mid season to switch it up and get less crowds than next door. I'm glad it is the way it is though.

SkiRay

Pico has too short of a season for me to call it my Home mountain. But I do like to go there mid season to switch it up and get less crowds than next door. I'm glad it is the way it is though.

Well they opened mid December and go to Mid April. Most other places - open around the same time - or maybe 2 weeks earlier. Their season pass, can't be beat for the price and this year with the MaxPass add on it was very good. Next year, I am sure they will not be part of the Ikon Pass - sure of this.

And if we want a Killington - day - well we stick to Killington early and late season.

I think we are LONG overdue some turns together Tuna.

cdskier

Next time I am at Pico I am hoping to try the Summit Glades, Birch Glades, and Upper Giant Killer and would love to hear peoples thoughts on how they compare in difficulty to the other runs off the Summit. Looking at the satellite, both glades look pretty wide open, which would be good for me.

I'm clearly a little late to the party on this thread...but just saw this now. Summit Glades and Birch Glades are both pretty much trails with a few trees in the middle.

Here's a pic of Summit Glades from back in 2011 when I was last at Pico:
IMG_1871.jpg

And here's a pic of Birch Glades from that same trip:
IMG_1865.jpg

Upper Giant Killer from my memory was the most challenging trail off the summit. It had lots of big bumps. Although I also really sucked at bumps back when I last skied it (probably ~15 years ago) so my opinion today might be different if I skied it again.

SkiRay

Giant Killer and the adjoining glades have been stellar this month

Its been a stellar this month for sure....

SkiRay

This is our latest video - its not really a trip report though we hope you all like it.

urungus

Giant Killer and the adjoining glades have been stellar this month
Its been a stellar this month for sure....

What is the preferred way to start Giant Killer (Red, Green, Yellow, Blue)? If you take the Blue route, can you claim to have skied “all of Giant Killer” ? Does the Red route have uphill parts ?

A7A99CCB-5324-4A88-B91C-D8C699EC6D94.jpg

bdfreetuna

Either green, which is a very short hike around the Patrol station, or blue, which is what I usually do because it's easier and you're only missing a few turns anyway.

urungus

Either green, which is a very short hike around the Patrol station, or blue, which is what I usually do because it's easier and you're only missing a few turns anyway.

Thanks. Took the blue route this afternoon. (Red route was roped off where Summit Glades splits off ... how are you supposed to get to the old Poma line, do you have to duck the rope?). Great conditions today, soft bumps and no ice. Almost didn’t do Upper Giant Killer ... Went down Summit Glades for the first time too, earlier in the day. Pretty big bumps and was pretty tired by the time I made it to the bottom. “If this is only a single black and Giant Killer is a double ...” But despite the rating, I found Giant Killer to be less challenging than Summit Glades ... really there’s only the one steep section at the start, and it’s quite wide so there were many lines to choose from

Also had fun bombing down groomed Sunset 71 / Sunset Schuss and Slope B. Nice surface even in the afternoon, hadn’t been skied out at all. Not too many people there, there was no wait for the Little Pico Triple nor at the Summit Quad.

Pico was 100% open and the base was holding up well. Sun even came out a few times!

Looking back up Upper Giant Killer:

0F2118E0-25E5-41F9-B015-4AB501B45885.jpg

How do I get rid of this sideways pic:

Attachments

• 9D052361-DA1A-4556-8B23-7A1C35B85BB4.jpg
    9D052361-DA1A-4556-8B23-7A1C35B85BB4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: