• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico Mountain: January 21, 2007 (Bluebird Day!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Jan. 21, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Pico Mountain

Conditions: MG P/PP

2007 Trip Report #: 27

Trip Report: Back to Pico again for some more turns. Ms. Trailboss and I got there at 8:45am and found great bluebird skies, fresh snow on the trees, and quite a few folks by Pico standards.

Got on the lift and skied Expressway to Panhandler. Some nice rolls that caught Ms. TB by surprise.

From here, we went to the top to enjoy the snow before it got skied off. Good call. Upper KA had been groomed and skied well. The PP held on better than 49er, which was windswept ice at the top. We skied KA at least six or so times. It did get crowded at times, but it was worth the trips. Great terrain and a nice old school feel! You can't "make" these trails. I was also :D to see that they made snow on it and got it open.

49er, as I said, was pretty slick in spots. Skier's left harbored the best snow, but the second pitch was consistently ice across. Not fun. Lower 49er, in contrast, was great thanks in part to Easy Street and Lower Sunset and KA.

Easy Street was windswept and icy in spots.

Middle Pike had HUGE whales on it and Ms. TB was :D We even hiked up 50 yards or so of the Upper Pike to get some fresh pow. Amazing. Boot deep and soft. Ms. TB did take a "dive" in the snow when she hit a waterbar.

Right before lunch we tried B Slope, which had just opened. The whales were gnarly to say the least. Ms. TB took a fall down one of the icy sides. The lower part was soft and nice...a bit flatter as well. I did another spin on this after lunch.

In the afternoon, we skied Expressway/Panhandler, Fool's Gold, Triple Slope, Ace of Clubs. We repeated Expressway and Fool's Gold once more before calling it quits. Gnome's Knoll seems so small now that Little Pico is open...and that liftline is gnarly! I cannot imagine riding a T-Bar up that! Lower Mountain terrain held up very, very well. Edge to edge in most spots!

Things were busy...busiest I have seen it, yet the trails and lifts handled the crowd well. Ski on ski off most of the day. Short 2 min wait otherwise. Met some :D folks as well.

Now...to get Sunset '71 going for next weekend....no snowmaking had been done contrary to Snow Reports. I did not brave the thin natural snow trails, but heard mediocre reviews.

Edd

I went there today for the first time ever. Sunset was NOT open. Several people were griping. I really dug Upper KA. I liked the feel of the place and the views are damn good. I'll try it again but not until they're fully open.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snow report says Sunset was open with snowmaking....

That's my point...and I addressed it in the K-Zone "Ask Killington" board. What the snow report says and what is on the ground seem to be two different things....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice report TB...Your hitting pico alot... I am going to try it out for the first time in two weeks.

It's a great place. Like the vibe. Like the terrain. Like the attitude. Just wish ASC would give it some more $$$. I think they may...lots of surveys and ticket scanning this season there....

SKIQUATTRO

I'll be up there with mrs. quattro feb 10/11 (staying at the Inn at LT). She's never skied Pico before, its her type of mountain, classic New England trails, good vibe and all trails come back to a cental base....and a few Harp's at the end of a ski day!!