• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill after the storm?

rpmk104

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it will be a safe bet to hit up Plattekill on Sunday? I've never been there and there's aren't many opened trails according to their trail report. You think they will open up more trails on Sunday?

Thanks!!!

ScottySkis

Call them at 3 pm ask for operations and ask. I called this morning they said they would know by 3 pm I think it be good but there no base now in the experts stuff. Liftopi.com does have a deal for like 22$ I be there tomorrow with Cornhead and others from here.

millerm277

I wouldn't count on much extra opening. Maybe Powder Puff since it's low-angle and already has the guns on it, and maybe the little "not really a trail" cutovers from it to Face. If you're really, really lucky, maybe Bailout or parts of it, or the Chute. I wouldn't really give anything any chance at opening.

There really is not a whole lot of base, and this stuff is also light and fluffy thus far, which, at least until it's had a few days to solidify, does a great job at hiding obstacles, and not a good job at actually covering them. Meaning it's not likely to make much that wasn't already borderline skiable, skiable, even if it looks like it might be. It'll be great on the trails which already have a base, but that's it for tomorrow IMO.

Cornhead

I wouldn't count on much extra opening. Maybe Powder Puff since it's low-angle and already has the guns on it, and maybe the little "not really a trail" cutovers from it to Face. If you're really, really lucky, maybe Bailout or parts of it, or the Chute. I wouldn't really give anything any chance at opening.

There really is not a whole lot of base, and this stuff is also light and fluffy thus far, which, at least until it's had a few days to solidify, does a great job at hiding obstacles, and not a good job at actually covering them. Meaning it's not likely to make much that wasn't already borderline skiable, skiable, even if it looks like it might be. It'll be great on the trails which already have a base, but that's it for tomorrow IMO.

I agree, but I've found Plunge to be pretty grassy, if there's a foot on it, which there very well could be, I'm willing to risk some base damage. What a weekend! I've gotten my Christmas presents already!

rpmk104, sent you a pm

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
First 2 pics are looking up and down Blockbuster, 3rd pic is Scottie poaching Plunge.

Attachments

• 1387127413168.jpg
    1387127413168.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 99
  • 1387127463823.jpg
    1387127463823.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 1387127489267.jpg
    1387127489267.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 98

ScottySkis

A few trails open off the tripple and a few trails closed off double powder powder powder great for Platty for December.

Bailout and shoot were open real snow but you had to go by the ocean bit of hiking but so worth it.

BenedictGomez

First 2 pics are looking up and down Blockbuster,

Yes, Platty it seems to me has a bit of a "ski whatever the hell you want at you're own risk you moron" policy. They've definitely had trails open that I thought shouldnt be open before, as well as some that I'm shocked were open, but that's great I think. Too bad you didnt get to see the mountain's capabilities, it's really an awesome skiers mountain so hopefully you return in a month to see.

Scottie poaching Plunge.

Well done Scottie.

Cornhead

Awesome day at Platty! They got a legit foot. Millerm277, it may have been fluff when it fell, but with the change over lots of moisture was added to the snowpack. It was just what this fatty needed to lean on and not break through. The wind had scoured the upper part of the mountain before the change, it was pretty thin, but skiable. This is why they didn't spin the double. The narrow switchback trails, Bail Out, Chute, and um Switchback, skied even better. The snow was creamy on those trails. Bail Out had some fun whoopdie doos at the top. They were ideal for accessing the lower,and snowier, parts of Blockbuster, Freefall, and Plunge. Kudos to Platty for allowing those who wanted to ski these closed trails to do so with impunity. It made for a much more enjoyable day than if Upper/Lower Face, Sundown, and Shredded Mozzarella were the only options. Quite a deal for $23.

Adam, great to meet, and ski with you! Scotty, always a pleasure skiing with you, glad you got your ski "fix" this weekend. It was one I'll never forget.

BenedictGomez

Well this is just damn depressing. Late December and bare ground.

At this point I hope I can get to Platty by January 18th. :(

plattysad.jpg