• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pocs Peeps (and NJ'ers)

SnowRock

So I am stuck sticking local this weekend.. it's either the Poconos or Mountain Creek on Saturday. Am I crazy looking at everything with this storm and wanting to go to Creek over my standard go-to of Camelback? I'm thinking both areas will get some decent snow but that Creek could be in an area that gets some bigger totals.

The other wrinkle... the wife is getting out on skis for the first time in a while ahead of a group trip to Stowe we have in two weeks. If things go bad, the Creek lodge might do a better job of keeping her entertained while I enjoy things.

Anklebiter

So I am stuck sticking local this weekend.. it's either the Poconos or Mountain Creek on Saturday. Am I crazy looking at everything with this storm and wanting to go to Creek over my standard go-to of Camelback? I'm thinking both areas will get some decent snow but that Creek could be in an area that gets some bigger totals.

The other wrinkle... the wife is getting out on skis for the first time in a while ahead of a group trip to Stowe we have in two weeks. If things go bad, the Creek lodge might do a better job of keeping her entertained while I enjoy things.

It's not in the Pocono's, but I say, Elk :daffy:. They have plenty of booze in the bar, if your wife stops early. Plus, they usually have live music in the afternoon.

ScottySkis

I haven't been to Camelback in many years, but I think it is a better hill then Mountain Creek. I think it ridiculously crowed at MC this weekend.

4aprice

SnowRock: Camelback's in good shape. Everything's open, bumps on Rocket and trying to get some going on Lower Cleo (storm could help big time). They've been diligently blowing snow refreshing everything from last weeks thaw. Can't tell you it won't be busy cause it will be (especially if it snows). Thirsty Camel usually rocks on a Saturday afternoon. I admit I refuse to ski in NJ but maybe you have a stronger stomach then me. Pocono's are better in my book.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SnowRock

Thanks Alex.. been out at Camelback a few times already this year and have enjoyed it. I snowboard so don't love the bumps, but Rocket was nice when they first got going and were still a bit soft. Nice to see they got Pharaoh open finally.

Creek is closer to me by 5-10 minutes so I will stomach it once in a while... with the way this storm is shaping up, my originall thinking based on snow differential shouldn't matter much. Plus the drive to Camelback might be easier come Saturday morning. "Working form home" tomorrow now so I might even get out there tomorrow and saturday

ERJ-145CA

I live 10 minutes from MC and the NWS is saying anywhere from 12 - 20" here. However I don't go the MC on weekends, weekdays are fine but weekends are crazy.

BenedictGomez

Let me tell you something. I am FROM New Jersey. I grew UP in New Jersey. I've skied almost my ENTIRE life. And I've never skied at Mountain Creek. But if they get 18" or 24", my azz is going to ski Mountain Creek on Monday! :flag:

ScottySkis

Let me tell you something. I am FROM New Jersey. I grew UP in New Jersey. I've skied almost my ENTIRE life. And I've never skied at Mountain Creek. But if they get 18" or 24", my azz is going to ski Mountain Creek on Monday! :flag:

Okay I skiied MC a lot my dad had a home their and his GF would get free tickets but I live 30 minutes a way from.their and I still to drive to Elk rather then ski MC, FYI.

4aprice

I'll predict Camelback will get more snow then Mountain Creek. I understand your in the City and may not have the time to travel, but the Pocono's are really in good shape BG. (snowmaking has been a blessing this year). Not even powder snow can attract me to MC. Terrible attitude? ,yea just won't ski in Jersey. I'm lucky the Pocono's are in my back yard.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gladerider

hmmm, why would a good man take his wife to MC? you don't like her? :wink:
haha, all kidding aside, i would never take my loved one there. people can get hurt. kids are out of control. at least that was the case about 6 years ago when i took my kids there and from what i am hearing, not much has changed. i grew up skiing it. what a shame.

4aprice, don't know what tells you that but CBK is not getting more based on the radar i'm looking at. the jackpot near this area is the cats.

BenedictGomez

4aprice, don't know what tells you that but CBK is not getting more based on the radar i'm looking at. the jackpot near this area is the cats.

Because prior model runs showed the Poconos getting buried with snow.

But you're right, radar is showing that not to be the case. NWS took the area from 10 -14 down to 6 - 10 about an hour ago, and even 10 seems very aggressive on that. I've heard wonk chatter that that area (nePA) is the area most likely to get "snow screwed" from the way this storm is developing.

Oh well, even 6 inches is a "massive snowfall" for the Poconos so I guess they'll be happy with that, but it's disappointing versus the 16 or more they were depicting < 24 hours ago.

legalskier

That's a tough one because you're confining yourself to Saturday.
I checked Camelback's snowcam- no snow yet:
http://www.skicamelback.com/Camelback-Mountain/Webcams-Photos-Videos.aspx

Likewise for Blue, which is south of there:
http://www.skibluemt.com/the-mountain/experience-blue-mountain/#wmountcams

Unfortunately, MC doesn't have a real-time cam like above, but the forecast is for substantial accumulation. So my best suggestion would be to keep you eye on the Camelback snowcam- but if you decide on MC, get there for first chair. Hopefully you'll get some turns in before the crowds hit. Then take a break (bloody Mary for the wife?) and go back out when the hordes come in for lunch.

Wherever you go, have fun & stay safe.

SnowRock

Thanks all.

I didn't realize there was such disdain for Mountain Creek on here. I would consider myself a semi-regular at Camelback (split my local time at Hunter mostly) but I get a day or two in up at Creek each year and never found it that much worse then any of the locals. It certainly isn't my favorite place, I prefer Camelback (never was a fan of Blue), but my game plan is always to be on the hill by 8:30 or earlier around these parts (or in the Cats or even Elk).

That said... I grabbed a bite out in Allamuchy tonight and stopped by a friends. It was totally fine going (around 6:30) but the ride home was much different (around 9:30). I have to think the Tannersville area is getting filled up a bit now.. especially at elevation. Mountain creek might do a bit better (based on the difference between the mooch and my house) but I'll probably be at Camelback unless I find there is some huge differential in snow. Ride will be much easier regardless. Red North Face and a Salomon board... ask me to "exchange an egg" and I'll know you are of like kind. (beer on me if you know the reference without google)

ERJ-145CA

It looks like 12" or 13" here at my house 10 minutes from MC. Yeah, lots of people hate on MC, but since I live so close and only ski there on weekdays having such a large ski area right by my house is pretty cool. The few weekends I ski I take the kids to Hidden Valley (occasionally Mt. Peter), another 5 minutes down the road and much more mellow on the weekend.

BenedictGomez

It looks like 12" or 13" here at my house 10 minutes from MC.

Seems like MC is an obvious choice for this storm then.

Shawnee and Blue Mountain both reported 5" to 6". Camelback reported 10" (but they're ridiculously full of **** and people there report it's more like 4" or 5")

SnowRock

Yup I looked at that 10 report and should have checked the other mountains in the area.. 6 max. Should've gone to Creek. And wind holds early. One of the patrollers on the lift tried to tell me 10 and got all huffy when I told him that was just dishonest to claim

4aprice

You guys were right, I was wrong as the pokes got less. Still would rather ski the Pocono's. Not so much a MC hater, as just not a fan. FWIW the skiing in the Pocono's was pretty good this past weekend. Some decent bumps skiing showing up at CBK.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ