• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post your Top 10 favorite trails / runs / trees in the Northeast..

MadMadWorld

Are we talking marked only?

1. Paradise - Mad River Glen
2. Madonna Liftline - Smuggs
3. Face Chutes - Jay
4. Goat - Stowe
5. Rumble - Sugarbush
6. Fall Line - Mad River Glen
7. Robin's Run - Smuggs
8. Tramline - Cannon
9. Black Hole - Smuggs
10. Castlerock Liftline - Sugarbush

MadMadWorld

1. Paradise and anything in the woods - Mad River Glen
2. Rumble - Sugarbush (Castlerock)
3. Goat woods - Stowe
4. Goat - Stowe
5. Star woods Stowe
6. Star - Stowe
7) Old abandoned lift line skiers left of Giant Killer - Pico
8) Anarcy - Kmart
9) Westway ( AKA 44 ) when it's filled in - Hunter
10) Plunge - Platty

Oh almost forgot- for bonus - almost anything at Magic in the wood or glades when it's filled in
Poma Line at Pico is a lot of fun to ski WHEN there is an opportunity to ski it. I cant imagine riding a Poma up that thing!

UVSHTSTRM

This is really in no particular order...

1. The Ridge (also Tucks and Face chute) - Jay Peak
2. Paradise - Mad River Glen
3. Fall Line - Mad River Glen
4. Paradise - Sugarbush (Lincoln Peak)
5. Devil's Playground / The Preacher - Bolton Valley (these are not really seperate trails more like one big steep and narrow group of chutes)
6. Lower Antelope - Mad River Glen
7. Rumble - Sugarbush (Castlerock)
8. Adam's Solitude - Bolton Valley
9. Stein's Woods / Egan's Woods - Sugarbush (Lincoln Peak)
10. Everglade (tied with Timbuktu) - Jay Peak

post your top 10!

and if you have any recommendations for me based on the kind of terrain you can see I much prefer, I'd love to hear them! thanks :)

As you can see I spend most of my time skiing in Vermont... so if there's anything that stacks up to the above in NH, NY or (I'm sure) Maine, let me know too :)

Well, basically anyplace that you are not.....D-Bag!

jerryg

You needn't qualify your ability whether you like easier terrain or not. I love all terrain and to be frankly, I often find it odd that when people make list like this, most never include a trail that isn't one of the big, bad, expert trails on the particular mountains they ski at. (Yes, I know there were some exceptions on here, mostly Maine and NH trails by the looks)

No, I'm not trying to be critical of these lists, they are all great trails, and I'm sure that some people's top ten are all expert of double blacks, but I find it odd that there aren't more intermediate or single diamond trails of such lists.

Do people not have favorite trails that they like to rip down than may not be all that difficult, but have history to them or perhaps have some interesting features?

I’m an intermediate skier, and my favorites tend to be easier blue trails that wind their way through the woods. (Note that not all of these meet that criteria)

In no particular order:

Deer Run – Belleayre
John Hancock – Jiminy Peak
Freewheeler – Butternut
U/L Applejack – Butternut
Big Chief – Berkshire East
U/M/L Rumrunner – Smuggler’s Notch
Williamson Trail – Mt. Sunapee
U/L Sidewinder – Catamount
U/M/L Lynx – Wildcat

That's only 9 for now. I'll be visiting Mad River Glen and Killington for the first time later this season, so I'll pick one more favorite from them to add to this list.

UVSHTSTRM

You needn't qualify your ability whether you like easier terrain or not. I love all terrain and to be frankly, I often find it odd that when people make list like this, most never include a trail that isn't one of the big, bad, expert trails on the particular mountains they ski at. (Yes, I know there were some exceptions on here, mostly Maine and NH trails by the looks)

No, I'm not trying to be critical of these lists, they are all great trails, and I'm sure that some people's top ten are all expert of double blacks, but I find it odd that there aren't more intermediate or single diamond trails of such lists.

Do people not have favorite trails that they like to rip down than may not be all that difficult, but have history to them or perhaps have some interesting features?

The original poster thinks he's the shit, so what would you expect!

bdfreetuna

UVSHITSTORM you're a mess brah! I forgot are we supposed to be internet enemies or something? lol, grow up my man

Yeah my list was mostly double blacks... that's the kinds of trails I consider to be most epic.

Also to whoever asked if this list only applies to marked trail or no.. I'd say, no, I'd love to also hear your favorite unmarked stashes!

MarkC

Goat - Stowe
Twister - Gore
Sundae - Plattekill
Rumble - Sugarbush
Ridge - Plattekill
Twist - Plattekill
Red Line - Magic

jerryg

Yeah my list was mostly double blacks... that's the kinds of trails I consider to be most epic.

Hey, that's cool. I was simply posing a question, and a good one. It was actually more directly at people who would reply to the original post becuase the tendency on threads like these is to try and 'keep up,' per se, and not be outdone.

That being said, I've never heard someone consider a trail epic. Conditions? Yes. Resorts or mountains? Yes, but a trail? Wow! :fangun:

bdfreetuna

Hey, that's cool. I was simply posing a question, and a good one. It was actually more directly at people who would reply to the original post becuase the tendency on threads like these is to try and 'keep up,' per se, and not be outdone.

That being said, I've never heard someone consider a trail epic. Conditions? Yes. Resorts or mountains? Yes, but a trail? Wow! :fangun:

For me it's all about the cut, the lines, the pitches and the variations.

I like to be kept guessing about what's right around the corner.

So yeah, "trails" like Mad River Glen's "Paradise" definitely fall into the Epic category for me.

And I'm not tryin to act like hot shit by posting all double diamonds either. I know theres a lot of people right here who can cruise better than me, ski moguls better than me, freestyle ski better than me... etc... I just like that woodsy narrow steep side/backcountry type-a-stuff.

And no this thread is not a competition nor was intended to be. Just post your favorite trails, folks! We all have different styles and preferences :)

jerryg

Again, just inquiring and not condemning. I don't know if others are. I'm just curious. Like Jay Adams and Tony Alva, it's all about the style.

For me it's all about the cut, the lines, the pitches and the variations.

I like to be kept guessing about what's right around the corner.

So yeah, "trails" like Mad River Glen's "Paradise" definitely fall into the Epic category for me.

And I'm not tryin to act like hot shit by posting all double diamonds either. I know theres a lot of people right here who can cruise better than me, ski moguls better than me, freestyle ski better than me... etc... I just like that woodsy narrow steep side/backcountry type-a-stuff.

And no this thread is not a competition nor was intended to be. Just post your favorite trails, folks! We all have different styles and preferences :)

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
1. 20th Hole Area - MRG
2. The Dip - Jay Peak
3. Cirque Glades - Gore
4. Kinsman Glade - Cannon
5. Tramline - Cannon
6. Liftline - Smuggs
7. Slide 3 - Whiteface
8. Chin to Chin Clip - Stowe
9. Middle Earth - Sugarbush
10. Outer Limits - Killington

skiberg

in no particular order
Beargut - Cannon
Left gully - Tucks
L'ecureuil- Orford
Throbulator- Burke
Obsession and Excalibur- SR
Antelope-MRG
ByPass-Stowe
Mittersill-Cannon
Tumbler-Sugarbush

Scruffy

Ok, you want some mellower trails, here is a view, I gotta go see the debate, more later.

Antelope-MRG
Outback - Jiminy Peak
Nosedive - Stowe
Lower Jester - Sugarbush, nice twisty blue run
Summit Glades - Pico
Birch Glades - Pico

kingslug

Lately my east Coast skiing has been a little limited..living on LI can do that.
1. west side of Hunter when its good...
2. Devils Fiddle and Outer Limits at K
3. Chin clip at Stowe is fun when its deep.
4. Blockbuster on a powder day at Plattekill
5. been to the Bush, Smuggs and jay a few times but not with good conditions..Have to see what they have when its good...
6. oh..the Jug at K was fun for an intermediate bumped up cruiser..

MadPadraic

I had a green at #4 and a blue at #2, but I'm a diva when it comes to conditions.

RISkier

Here's a few easy trails that I really like for various reasons:
Jester at Sugarbush. Winds down the mountain with lots of turns and twists and offers great views.
Polecat and Lynx at Wildcat. Fantastic views, though that's true of virtually every trail at Wildcat.
Toll Road at Stowe. Very flat but narrow and really pretty when it's snowing.
Sterling at Stowe. A natural snow trail that winds it's way down from Big Spruce.

jerryg

The question was rhetorical. My intention was not to debate the validity of people's favorite trails, but rather, I was simply pointing out an observation. FWIW, I would say that the majority of my favorite trails in the east are in the expert range as well, but I would be remiss if I were to say that some of my favorite trails are not long cruisers, regardless of their color.

Ok, you want some mellower trails, here is a view, I gotta go see the debate, more later.

Antelope-MRG
Outback - Jiminy Peak
Nosedive - Stowe
Lower Jester - Sugarbush, nice twisty blue run
Summit Glades - Pico
Birch Glades - Pico

jerryg

Perfect example. Bobr, Snowmonster, Snoseek, and I lapped this trail for a whole weekend, the final weekend in 06/07 season - first weekend of May, I believe. It was just skiing really well, had a good base, and yes, the views are fantastic. Good times!

Polecat and Lynx at Wildcat. Fantastic views, though that's true of virtually every trail at Wildcat.

Riverskier

Good points. With certain exceptions, this thread could be name the 10 most well known expert runs in the East. Not questioning any individuals candidness, but the replies do make one scratch their head.

As for my list, can't really come up with one. Too many variables that make a trail or individual run special.