• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East

Jully

Don't overthink this, but if you think of Colorado as our country, with Denver/Kansas as the Atlantic Ocean, and Utah/desert as the pacific, with the Continental Divide playing the role of the mighty Mississippi, that makes those Easternmost ski areas (Loveland, Abasin, Eldora) East coast of Colorado.

Those also are not big destination resorts, they are daytripper places, similar to most of our ski areas around here.

Ahhh, got it. Makes sense.

dlague

@dlague the East Coast doesn't miss you either!

What's the matter you couldn't get over your son leaving the nest and had to follow him to CO?

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app
And yes it is convenient to have another son nearby. But I do not need to justify to you what our family is like. You will see that yourself someday and I hope that someone else does not through it in your face as an insult.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Obviously he can't find a CO forum that will embrace him so he has to keep telling us how great it is in CO.
Hey to each their own. Skiing in CO is great!

Personally, I felt that this forum is more engaging than the others. I participate in Epicski and TGR and it is more familiar here.

Last edited:

wtcobb

Good thing the world does not live according to your definitions. Chest pounders like to talk about how hard they ski and the most difficult trails are the only true skiing! That's OK it is your world but we do not need to live in it!

I'm the best damn skier on this mountain!

MadMadWorld

Good thing the world does not live according to your definitions. Chest pounders like to talk about how hard they ski and the most difficult trails are the only true skiing! That's OK it is your world but we do not need to live in it!

Hi Pot,

Has anyone ever told you that you look black?

Sincerely,

Kettle

dlague

Hi Pot,

Has anyone ever told you that you look black?

Sincerely,

Kettle

I know there are many great skiers here and I will not pretend that I can even go toe to toe. In that regard, no pot kettle situation. There some that are really good yet humble and others are really good and think their shit does not stink.

xwhaler

Hey to each their own. Skiing in CO is great!

Personally, I felt that this forum is more engaging than the others. I participate in Epicski and TGR and it is more familiar here.

Well said Dave. I always enjoy your reports and photos. Keep it up.

The other fellas on here are just getting amped up as we need some snow!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

If there are not cliffs, ledges, or moguls it is just cross-country.

dlague

If there are not cliffs, ledges, or moguls it is just cross-country.
Ok then now that I know the criteria I will refocus!

BTW how do you ski cliffs in tight trees? I have come across two drops - one is about a 20 ft cliff at Loveland and there is no f'n way that is happening because there are trees all over and the other at Cooper and no one is launching off that either.

Tin

Ok then now that I know the criteria I will refocus!

BTW how do you ski cliffs in tight trees? I have come across two drops - one is about a 20 ft cliff at Loveland and there is no f'n way that is happening because there are trees all over and the other at Cooper and no one is launching off that either.

Cliffs in tight trees? Come to Mad River or Stowe and I will teach you. Sometimes you just go and figure it out while in the air lol

Smellytele

Cliffs in tight trees? Come to Mad River or Stowe and I will teach you. Sometimes you just go and figure it out while in the air lol

Found a small one 10-15 foot at Bolton today in the preacher/cobrass woods. Didn't go as planned. 13 yo son had no issue but my plan was to hit then turn. i hit and skis just skidded out on the turn, I went down and i slid a few feet in between trees but was no worse for the wear but my pride.

BenedictGomez

Funny thing is, I said nothing of the sort. I believe psychologists call your above post, "projecting".

Here....please allow me to repost precisely what I said.

The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").

I dont call this "chest pounding". I call it a generally well-accepted, accurate statement.

I listen to west coast skiers talk about what they perceive as "tree skiing", and since it's Super Bowl Sunday, I'll say that the tales generally consist of skiing around tree stands that would net you a First Down in American football. The term "tree skiing" means a totally different thing to a native western skier versus a native eastern skier. But I get it, you REALLY like skiing out west and everything. It's cool. Everyone does.

raisingarizona

The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").

We have plenty of tight trees out est too but once you get used to hitting the throttle more the super tight trees aren't really as much fun. I've seen a lot of vids from east coast skiers that like to big about how their trees are better but it often looks slow and awkward. I'm all for it if that's what you are into but don't kid yourself, the west is a big place and there is every kind of skiing you can imagine.

this is much tighter and steeper than the video suggests.

MadMadWorld

We have plenty of tight trees out est too but once you get used to hitting the throttle more the super tight trees aren't really as much fun. I've seen a lot of vids from east coast skiers that like to big about how their trees are better but it often looks slow and awkward. I'm all for it if that's what you are into but don't kid yourself, the west is a big place and there is every kind of skiing you can imagine.

this is much tighter and steeper than the video suggests.
Everything looks better with never ending face shots [emoji2]

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
East Coast trees won't kill you! Just a guess but I would say there haven't been any tree well deaths East of the Mississippi.
I did have a really cool tree run at Lake Louise up top , I actually found some small deciduous trees up high . Moguls mixed in and ever tightening as we got lower.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As a Wildcat skier which in my experience has some of the tightest trees in the East, I feel pretty confident saying that you can find plenty of tight trees out west. A couple of areas that come to mind are in and around the alleys at Abasin and some of the stuff off the backside of peak 9 at Breckenridge accessed by the E chair. Yes, there are plenty of wide open glades out west, but to suggest the east is better for tight trees just isn't true.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app