• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East

Domeskier

Out east, bumps are icy roughly half the time. Same thing for landing in parks. I'll grant you that if you are a park rat or hardcore bump skier, differences are less important.

The big vertical is irrelevant since you often only ski the upper lifts in the western resorts. The sheer variety of terrain (open bowls, chutes, steeps, glades of all sort) , the snow quality and absence of ice is where the big western resorts shine the most compared to the east.

Better snow and better natural bumps out west, definitely. All things being equal, however, I'm indifferent to east or west. East gets a slight advantage because of altitude. Maybe if I were fitter and could ski and endless bumped up bowl without taking a five minute thigh and oxygen break every 20 bumps...

jimk

Better snow and better natural bumps out west, definitely. All things being equal, however, I'm indifferent to east or west. East gets a slight advantage because of altitude. Maybe if I were fitter and could ski and endless bumped up bowl without taking a five minute thigh and oxygen break every 20 bumps...

Agree about altitude, definite disadvantage for short term vacationers, esp wheezing geezers. Two years ago I stayed out West two months straight. It was very cool to finally aclimatize and I felt much stronger the second month on long bump runs and moderate climbs to hike-to terrain.

Another thing: While the majority of my lifetime ski days (1000?) are in the mid-Atlantic and I have a lot in New England too, recently I have been able to get out West more than ever, about 65-70 ski days out west over the last three years. I've been babbling those whole three years about how hard it is for me to dress at the appropriate level of lightness out there. I skied Utah Jan 22-28, 2017. The day time highs on the slopes never went above mid to upper teens the whole week, some days highs were in single digits with high winds at summit. I wore two layers under my ski jacket the whole week. Earlier in January in WV I skied on a day with single digits and high winds and wore FIVE frickin' layers under same ski jacket. I can't explain it...humidity or lack thereof?? Skiing challenging terrain out there vs. groomers back in mid-A?? Headcase?? Whatever, I always feel warmer out there.

BenedictGomez

I would say none of those are tight trees. First few on your first post a runs with trees around them.

This is basically what I was saying in that skiing "trees" means different things to different people, so there's a lot of ambiguity when this subject pops up.

By who. Test your pronoun.

MurderByDeath21.jpeg

JimG.

Staff member
Some pretty much implied it.

To clarify, I said West is definitely better but that I'm Eastern to the core. I prefer eastern skiing for reasons other than just snow conditions:

1) I don't enjoy flying. Actually, the only part of flying I like is the up in the air part. The rest including airports, security, fees, the crowds of people, rude airline employees, and other passengers I can't stand. By the time I arrive at my destination I need a vacation to recover from the flight.
2) The only time the whole family can go out west is during holiday periods. I don't ski with the holiday masses. See "I don't enjoy flying" above.
3) If you think there are a lot of gapers in the east, take a trip out west. Holy crap!
4) I prefer the Northeastern vibe. It's what I'm used to. Not a fan of many of the people from other states I'm not used to dealing with. I won't name states. Hey, I'm old and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
5) Many western resorts are huge. For every old school place like A Basin there are 10 mega resorts with mega high ticket prices and mega expensive accomodations. As I age I'm returning to the old school places I grew up skiing at and rediscovering my love for the sport. There are more of those old school places in the East, at least that is my perception. One of the reasons I've become so interested in Quebec...tons of old school places to ski. Don't get me wrong; I ski at mega resorts too and love premium accomodations and I don't mind paying for it. Just don't need all the other expenses like flying.

You are correct that anyone who would pick eastern snow conditions over western conditions must be a troll. But that isn't the only factor I consider when I say I am eastern to the core. East is home for me and there is no place like home.

BenedictGomez

The use of the objective case by him is correct here, actually.

I looked again after reading your above, and I still disagree. You would never say, "him pretty much implied it", so whom is incorrect, IMO.

Either way, the point was to make a Murder By Death reference, which is one of my favorite movies.

Domeskier

I looked again after reading your above, and I still disagree. You would never say, "him pretty much implied it", so whom is incorrect, IMO.

Either way, the point was to make a Murder By Death reference, which is one of my favorite movies.

I see. "Who?" would have been the grammatically appropriate response based on the quote to which he was responding. I took him to be asking "by whom was it implied?" and not "who implied it?" Never saw the movie. If there are dorky grammar jokes in it, it sounds like it fun.

BenedictGomez

I see. "Who?" would have been the grammatically appropriate response based on the quote to which he was responding. I took him to be asking "by whom was it implied?" and not "who implied it?" Never saw the movie. If there are dorky grammar jokes in it, it sounds like it fun.

Gotcha, yeah that would be correct.

mikec142

Apples and Oranges. There is room for both. I live in NJ and if I only skied out west I would ski at best 4-7 days/year and that's not acceptable to me.

I love a great ski day at Sugarbush followed by Apres Ski with a pint of Sip of Sunshine.

I also loved every minute of my recent trip to Jackson Hole where the vistas and views were second to none and it took 25 minutes to ski top to bottom and the snow was perfect.

I wouldn't give either experience up.

4aprice

I didn't read the whole thread but this is nutty. I will tell you, If you can, get out west this year. It is absolutely off the hook. The walls of snow on Berthoud Pass are 10-20 feet high. The moguls, the trees, the bowls are all in play and in phenomenal shape. And they're about to get hit with more. It's special out there this year.

East - West argument = different strokes for different folks. For my wife and I, we prefer the west and are trying to plan our retirement in that direction. I mean it was in the mid 60's in Denver yesterday with people out exercising and playing golf etc., meanwhile 50 miles west the snow is deep and getting deeper, you can't beat that (IMO).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I didn't read the whole thread but this is nutty. I will tell you, If you can, get out west this year. It is absolutely off the hook. The walls of snow on Berthoud Pass are 10-20 feet high. The moguls, the trees, the bowls are all in play and in phenomenal shape. And they're about to get hit with more. It's special out there this year.

East - West argument = different strokes for different folks. For my wife and I, we prefer the west and are trying to plan our retirement in that direction. I mean it was in the mid 60's in Denver yesterday with people out exercising and playing golf etc., meanwhile 50 miles west the snow is deep and getting deeper, you can't beat that (IMO).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I think this is where my perspective lies right now. Moved here in April skied to mid June with perfect conditions. The we started our season in October and while November was lean December and January have delivered big time.

We were at Keystone and for the first time we experienced firm conditions but still great by New England standards. It has been sunny a lot and it is softening the snow during the day - sun is super srrong here. We skied a few bump runs and they have some killer bump runs that destroy your legs mostly because they are super long.

49999db273f1ad255b54452b1b1a4f9c.jpg

afa2dd288f421b0cb34f645f34fab33b.jpg

I do have to admit the density of ski areas in New England is something I miss. Lots of choices. 50+ ski areas between ME, NH, VT and throw in NY and PQ. Compared to Colorado where there are like 27 for the whole state and many spread far apart.

And yes we are getting another round of snow over a 3-4 day period. These darn snow events keep happening during the week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

^ Dave, Want moguls?, you got to get over to the Jane one of these days. Murder on the legs, but as I told my wife I could have an affair with that place. Trying to figure out a 3rd trip in April. I'm hooked.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ