• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Magazine gone ..for now

kingslug

Best ski mag...and now its gone. They say it may not be permanent but rarely do magazines come back from the dead. Truly sad.

Edd

Yeah, I’ve subscribed a couple of seasons years ago. Regret not sticking with it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jimmywilson69

Been a subscriber for close to 15 years... Super bummed.

I read them all year long and will miss the stoke. Yes much of said stoke was skiing that I'll never experience in my life but still.

apparently I'm part of a small minority...

abc

What is a magazine?
I confess I never subscribe to ANY magazine. I read one or two articles at the doctor's office, buy them when I'm waiting at the airport for my connecting flight, etc... But never felt strongly enough about any magazine that I read it cover to cover, much less want to subscribe.

The "digital magazine" is a bit better suited to my taste. I read PART of the "magazine" and be willing to "pay per read". But most aren't operating that way. They're still trying to get me to "subscribe" to a steady stream of it regularly. I'm just not such a "regularly" kind of person. I understand I'm not their ideal customer. But by not offering an option for me to pay-per-read at all, they're missing out on making SOMETHING out of people like me, which there're many.

jimmywilson69

to be fair though if you purchased 1 issue of Powder its like $6 or you could get the whole year for like $20.

abc

to be fair though if you purchased 1 issue of Powder its like $6 or you could get the whole year for like $20.
True. But if I don't read the rest of the subscription (or only read 1), I'm still out $20 instead of $6.

Not knocking on the magazine or the value of its content. It's just I'm not a magazine person to begin with. And not really into reading about things I have not much chance of doing...

I can't think of any magazine I EVER feel like reading issue to issue. I think of them more as a time filler, hence the doctor's office and airport. Occasionally, there maybe something seriously interesting I want to read about. I don't mind paying for it in that situation. But unless I know there will be many more other articles I feel equally strong about reading in coming issues, I'm incline to leave it alone.

1dog

I have issues saved from year I started skiing - '82-'83 - best photography - some great trips recorded all over the world - pre- everyone- has-a-video-camera days. . . .used to buy for all my ski friends when they had those $12 for a year deals - Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, and don't say I never bought you anything . . . . will be missed.

Will pull out by kerosene lantern when the electric grid goes down due to EMP's

kingslug

I'm a magazine fan..ezines are ok but not the same. Powder was the best ski mag. I imagine in the future most mags will be gone.

Edd

I'm a magazine fan..ezines are ok but not the same. Powder was the best ski mag. I imagine in the future most mags will be gone.

Kind of on topic. My wife is still a magazine fan. She bought this rack for decorative purposes a few years ago. I’ve become fond of it.

IMG_0102.jpg

jimk

We get magazines now as compensation from our trash company for also participating in their recycling program. Unfortunately, they don't offer any ski-related mags, only stuff my wife is mainly interested in. It all winds up in the recycle bin pretty quickly - poetic justice:)
Magazines are quickly moving to the junk mail model. Give them to people for free as a conduit for advertisements. Interactive ski-websites are a lot more fun and engaging and also better for seeking targeted information.

jimmywilson69

I got a post card from the publisher of Powder yesterday telling me that it will no longer be in production and my subscription will be fulfilled with Mens Journal

I'll be calling for a refund...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I got that same notice. Men's Journal? Really? I decided to get my refund. I logged in and apparently I had SIX YEARS still left on my subscription. 😳 The last time I paid was three years ago. So a nine-year subscription? I don't recall that. Fingers crossed I get my refund, but I could not believe that I had THAT MUCH left. Perhaps why they went out of business? Bad record keeping?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't read magazines much either. But I remember Powder standing out for their amazing photography. it was like national geographic ski version.

skiur

Wow, can't believe people actually paid for ski magazine. I got it for years without ever paying a dime. They were pretty much giving away subscriptions as the more subscription's they had the more they could charge for advertising.