• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Great, $550 down the drain!
Also overheard from some "folks in the know" that PR is missing some very crucial parts of the snowmaking infrastructure. Heard this sometime last week though so not sure if they got the stuff in they need ...(But I doubt it)

Snowlover

Also overheard from some "folks in the know" that PR is missing some very crucial parts of the snowmaking infrastructure. Heard this sometime last week though so not sure if they got the stuff in they need ...(But I doubt it)

Their still not open today.(except learning/jib area) Mount southington with same exact climate has been open for almost a month and they have a 2 foot plus base.

There's basically no snow cover on any trails that go to the top. They actually opened that ONE trail to the top in the picture with dirt patches all over it yesterday. That's not even close to being skiable. Oh and they never mentioned to anyone what their snow depth was. Just that the trail is "open". We've got a big cold snap coming so I can't imagine them not getting the gear they need by then. Oh and I can't imagine the problems their going to have with those old lifts breaking down. They only have one lift inspected. The proper way to open that place would have been to just completely replace at least one lift with a brand new one. Concentrate on buying snow making equipment instead of trying to build a restaurant. This guy that's managing it is trying to turn it into a "resort" rather than understanding that it's an over sized golf course hill with a few lifts for people in the area to get some exercise and have a few fun pow days on the few days it snows there with it's 40 inch average. Just stick to the basics....blow snow and make sure the lifts work instead of all the hype. And get rid of the ridiculous helmet rule outside of any terrain park. He actually has plans for a half pipe. In an area where the average high temp is in the upper 30s in january with constant thaws. Good luck with that. I wish someone else had bought this place.

Last edited:

Snowlover

Hey planb420, you goto sundown a lot obviously. Do they usually lie about their conditions? I've been there a few times and they had the conditions listed as packed powder and it was hardpack. It drives me nuts the way the ski area's around here don't seem to understand what packed powder is....NO SCRAPING SOUNDS. That's ice/hardpack. Mohawk has rock hard could barely get an edge in hard pack and they had their conditions listed as packed powder. Absolutely absurd. It just makes me not want to take the drive. You get fooled a few times and you end up just going to a closer place because you can't trust the report.

ScottySkis

Hey planb420, you goto sundown a lot obviously. Do they usually lie about their conditions? I've been there a few times and they had the conditions listed as packed powder and it was hardpack. It drives me nuts the way the ski area's around here don't seem to understand what packed powder is....NO SCRAPING SOUNDS. That's ice/hardpack. Mohawk has rock hard could barely get an edge in hard pack and they had their conditions listed as packed powder. Absolutely absurd. It just makes me not want to take the drive. You get fooled a few times and you end up just going to a closer place because you can't trust the report.

Don't trust any ski or snowboarding hills reports. That is another awesome thing about alpine zone is our honest trip reports.

Snowlover

Don't trust any ski or snowboarding hills reports. That is another awesome thing about alpine zone is our honest trip reports.

Yeah but that doesn't do me any good when I'm deciding whether to go in the morning! That's after the fact. It's still fun reading people's reports though :)

I don't really understand what these resorts think their gaining by lying. It's like giving a surf report of overhead waves and it's knee high. No one will listen to your report anymore. I now take sundown and mohawk's reports with a grain of salt. That means I won't be visiting unless it's snowed naturally and I can be sure it's good. So they just lost business doing that. It's a stupid business practice. And what about season pass holder's that live a distance away? Their completely screwing them by giving a b.s. report. They'll waste there gas when they could have gone on a different day.

planb420

NO, they dont "Lie" about their conditions at all. But as any seasoned rider knows those reports are made in the morning hours and the surface conditions do change pending weather and traffic on the snow. Scotty is spot on as far as AZ reports go....if your ever in the need for an update on Sundown hit me up and I'll be more than happy to give you an honest rundown of the conditions I experienced. As for your particular experience at sundown what time did you go...just curious (might be able to provide you insight on the best hours to swing through to get the best conditions.), most reports are done by the ski patrol right as they open and I know the packed powder can get skied off to the base with all the novice skiers/boarders they draw being a family style mountain. AM conditions are the bees knees though...IMO!

Also to get back on thread topic...I hear the "excuse" that the state of CT held up the lifts at PR was total BS!! It was because they were not ready.....don't be fooled my friends. (take that info for what you will, but seems like a shady start to me...:thumbdown:)

Snowlover

NO, they dont "Lie" about their conditions at all. But as any seasoned rider knows those reports are made in the morning hours and the surface conditions do change pending weather and traffic on the snow. Scotty is spot on as far as AZ reports go....if your ever in the need for an update on Sundown hit me up and I'll be more than happy to give you an honest rundown of the conditions I experienced. As for your particular experience at sundown what time did you go...just curious (might be able to provide you insight on the best hours to swing through to get the best conditions.), most reports are done by the ski patrol right as they open and I know the packed powder can get skied off to the base with all the novice skiers/boarders they draw being a family style mountain. AM conditions are the bees knees though...IMO!

Also to get back on thread topic...I hear the "excuse" that the state of CT held up the lifts at PR was total BS!! It was because they were not ready.....don't be fooled my friends. (take that info for what you will, but seems like a shady start to me...:thumbdown:)

I went first thing in the morning. I'll give you my sundown experiences.

One time I went to sundown they had a natural snowfall the night before.(about 5 inches). I was really pumped for good conditions, BUT they blew those stinking snowguns all night rather than just turning them off when natural snow came so it was crap hardpack(compared to true pack powder) with scraping sounds. The fake snow had obviously turned to ice/hardpack. It was below freezing during an entire period. I went over to sunnyside and it was BEAUTIFUL packed powder. Zero scraping sounds. Western type packed powder. But only on sunnyside because it was all natural snow and they hadn't blown snow on that part of the mountain. I know we are reliant on fake snow, but I really wish "team awesome" would turn off those guns when the real stuff comes in. Anyway, they listed packed powder conditions, which was only true for the bunny hill. Conditions were average new england hard pack on the main mountain. I would have went elsewhere if they just said only sunnyside was pp, main mountain was machine groomed hardpack.

Another trip I went after about a foot fell overnight. I was looking forward to some ungroomed pow skiing. Well that didn't work out either. I've NEVER seen a place get tracked out so quick. I got there 15 minutes after they started the lifts and there were ZERO fresh tracks on gunny/noreaster.....anywhere. Is that normal? Did an entire ski team poach it or something. lol No complains on snow reporting that time obviously. Great packed powder on the other trails that were groomed! I din't bother with the crud. Would have liked to have a powder day, but oh well.

Third time I went, they again listed pp, but it was scraping sounds all over the place. In the morning on a non holiday weekend. Not pp. It seems it's hard in the northeast to get good pp conditions without real snow. I haven't been skiing that long though. BUT I have had it before. I was at wachusett earlier this year in late november and it was good pp with no natural snow(nothing as good as real snow, but it was close) There were no scraping sounds at all. Real fun! I hate that scraping crap. It's not snow. It's like skating down a rink with big ski's on. lol

Finally, I went to mohawk in the morning. First chair. Conditions were horrific. I mean like rock hard. The type that your ski pole has trouble penetrating the ice LOL Skating rink. Outright lying by the person giving a snow report an HOUR earlier that it was packed powder. I pulled the manager out to the hill to look at the conditions. She said "well yesterday people were saying it was packed powder"....Who cares about yesterday.(she was just trying to come up with excuse for lying) Thought they updated their snow report daily otherwise what's the point....Give me a break.

Last edited:

Snowlover

Yeah definitely shady for sure. I don't know how you charge a full season pass when you're not even open by jan 1. Also, the state gave them 500k in grant money. I'd hardly think they held up an entire ski are for a lift inspection delay. Clearly the lifts were not ready FOR inspection. It really sucks because it would be nice to have another area around here. :(

Snowlover

Ok, it's pouring rain outside right now. Been raining for hours. Ski sundown snow report:

Date 12/29/2013 2:15 PM
Status All lifts and all trails open.

Base Temp 31F
Base Snow Depth 30-50
New snow 24hrs

Snowfall from last storm 5"
Surface conditions Packed Powder

Is the time their listing the report not accurate? Their saying they just gave that report.

Oh and I'm not trying to hate on your mountain bro. I just like to be able to go there and have a good idea of condtions. Thanks for the offer of letting me know :)

planb420

Honestly dont know, I do believe someone new is running the site although not sure of that...maybe something is getting lost in translation. (Dont work there so dont know...but will source around)

Snowlover

Seriously you guys are arguing about Connecticut ski reports.

If you want to ski regularly, like a few times a week then you'll ski CT if you are local to the area. How often can you drive 5 hours round trip, spend like 90 bucks on a lift ticket and 50 bucks on gas? And money for lodging since you'll be too tired to do it all in one day. Twice a year maybe? Unless you're a millionaire with a condo. Give me a break. And liftopia is worthless since you have to buy ahead. I'd never drive all the way to vt unless it was a powder day and I was sure conditions were good. So I stay local 95% of the time.

steamboat1

If you want to ski regularly, like a few times a week then you'll ski CT if you are local to the area. How often can you drive 5 hours round trip, spend like 90 bucks on a lift ticket and 50 bucks on gas? And money for lodging since you'll be too tired to do it all in one day. Twice a year maybe? Unless you're a millionaire with a condo. Give me a break. And liftopia is worthless since you have to buy ahead. I'd never drive all the way to vt unless it was a powder day and I was sure conditions were good. So I stay local 95% of the time.

To bad for you.