• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Ridge tornado

zyk

Yesterday or last night a tornado hit snow ridge in ny. Pictures look pretty bad. Trees down, buildings damaged, etc. Great little mountain. Wishing them the best.

drjeff

Crazy amount of damage for sure. Guessing though that after the National Weather Service surveys things, that they may change it from tornado damge to microburst damage as those trees all look like they fell in the same direction which is more characteristic of a microburst.

Either way, hope that local hill gets things cleaned up and functioning before the season begins!

slatham

Wow absolutely terrible. Tough enough for an Indy like that to make it - this is a sucker punch. I hope they make it through.

RH29

Reminds me of the Mohawk tornado in '89, or, more recently, a microburst that hit Thunder Ridge fairly hard a few years ago.

drjeff

Confirmed as an EF-3 tornado with 140mph winds and a maximum width of 700 yards that spent 16 miles on the ground, including its trip through Snow Ridge yesterday!

RH29

Confirmed as an EF-3 tornado with 140mph winds and a maximum width of 700 yards that spent 16 miles on the ground, including its trip through Snow Ridge yesterday!
That level of tornado is rare in the Northeast, but it feels like we've been seeing tornadoes in general a lot more. Philly area has had multiple major tornadoes in the last few years. This year alone has seen a bunch in New England, particularly in VT, NH, and Eastern Mass where they're even more rare. There were two today, in Plymouth and Cape Cod of all places.

And yes I know we've had tornadoes in the past, it just seems to be more of them in recent years.

chuckstah

That level of tornado is rare in the Northeast, but it feels like we've been seeing tornadoes in general a lot more. Philly area has had multiple major tornadoes in the last few years. This year alone has seen a bunch in New England, particularly in VT, NH, and Eastern Mass where they're even more rare. There were two today, in Plymouth and Cape Cod of all places.

And yes I know we've had tornadoes in the past, it just seems to be more of them in recent years.
Looks pretty average over the last 50 years, if this is accurate. It certainly does suck when one hits your locality. Or a ski area.

danimals

I live right across the river from philly, and it seems almost weekly we get a tornado warning, often with shelter in places notifications happening. two years back we had a tornado cause significant damage to the areas just south of me. I have footage from the security camera of a nearby business that shows the tornado breaking up right before it hits my house, than trying to reform in creek i live on.

Before the past few years, I never thought about tornadoes. Now each time a storm front moves through, there's a tornado somewhere close by. hell, we had a warning monday night.

machski

Looks pretty average over the last 50 years, if this is accurate. It certainly does suck when one hits your locality. Or a ski area.

Well, that does not include this year yet. And this year has been very abnormal. NH averages only 2 actual Tornado Warnings a year (doesn't necessarily mean two hit, just radar indicates rotations trigger an alert). This year, we had 4 in just a single day with others having occured on other dates. Those 4 I don't think actually materialized, but you get the idea.

chuckstah

Well, that does not include this year yet. And this year has been very abnormal. NH averages only 2 actual Tornado Warnings a year (doesn't necessarily mean two hit, just radar indicates rotations trigger an alert). This year, we had 4 in just a single day with others having occured on other dates. Those 4 I don't think actually materialized, but you get the idea.
For sure the warnings are up this year. My phone has gone off with warnings a couple times already for my area, and more broadcast on TV. Still only one tornado as far as I can tell, with somewhere between one or two being average. With all the heat, humidity, and strong storms this summer I'm surprised only one has touched down.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Crazy amount of damage for sure. Guessing though that after the National Weather Service surveys things, that they may change it from tornado damge to microburst damage as those trees all look like they fell in the same direction which is more characteristic of a microburst.

Either way, hope that local hill gets things cleaned up and functioning before the season begins!
Does a microburst travel in a line for 16 miles?

Hawk

Maybe but a twister does not blow down trees in only one direction. I am with Dr Jeff. I saw what the twister did in Monson Mass.

BodeMiller1

Are there more twisters? No, the radar that picks up the "coma" is better and therefore weather guys get sent to see if the damage was from straight line winds or :unsure:.

The way to track global warming or cooling is by looking at the ice footprint and depth at the poles.

Any kind of damage to a ski area or access road is not good. Last week over the Merrimack in Concord near the arena clouds started to swirl, never came close to the ground. Kansas is flat. New England is not if it was, we'd all have to move.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Quote from Nick Mir, owner of Snow Ridge:

“When we got up to the hill to see, you could see trees that were falling in all directions, not just in one direction. So it’s pretty obvious there was a spinning motion coming through there.”

I agree NWS is more likely to be accurate that skiers looking at pictures of the damage.

machski

Heard it confirmed as an EF3, that's rough. Ironically, today we stumbled upon Woods Valley. Nice local hill, talked with the owner for a bit. They got hit by a tornado about 2 years ago, lifted the old base shack off their main Hall Double bottom terminal so it's got a nice, new hut. Thankfully it missed the brand new lodge they just had put up (umm, Sunday River, please take note. This thing is gorgeous!). Tons of snowmaking investment on the hill too, and they have two new to them chairs in the lot. They will start with upgrading their beginner double to a quad sometime soon. Odd though I stumbled upon another hill hit by a twister not so long ago.
PXL_20230814_174247570.jpg
PXL_20230814_174402360.jpg