• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

Bene288

#3 Helmet requirement. It's a golf course hill. Not a super g course. lol If you want to wear helmet....totally cool, but you should have choice.

Wow, they make you wear a helmet? That's ridiculous.

Most people need to travel for powder, you're a lot better off than the guys from NJ. Most of those smaller mole hills in MA will groom after a dump. As for Liftopia, I'm pretty sure you can buy a ticket up until the midnight before.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, there is probably a reason your pass was only $275. I'm guessing you're not a student. You could have spent over $800 on a pass to Jiminy. Pretty steep, but at least you'd be skiing right now instead of writing about not skiing.

planb420

Sundown Conditions 12-30: Machine Groomed Frozen Granular ....velvet smooth top layer has amazing edge hold, though the snow is a bit on the wet side so its a bit slow.....my take ;)

Sent from my DROID4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Snowlover

Sundown Conditions 12-30: Machine Groomed Frozen Granular ....velvet smooth top layer has amazing edge hold, though the snow is a bit on the wet side so its a bit slow.....my take ;)

Yeah. That's exactly what sundown reported. They were honest for sure today. Maybe it was just a fluke that day I went.

Date 12/30/2013 9:33 AM
Status All lifts and all trails open.

Base Temp 33F
Base Snow Depth 24-45
New snow 24hrs

Snowfall from last storm 5"
Surface conditions Machine Groomed

Oh and of course Mohawk is lying about having packed powder right now. Southington is being honest with having machine groomed also. Well obviously I won't be spending a lot of money at mohawk in future since I can't trust their report.

planb420

You can always trust the plan b snow report! ;) he also specializes in park updates and bump spotting!

Snowlover

Wow, they make you wear a helmet? That's ridiculous.

Most people need to travel for powder, you're a lot better off than the guys from NJ. Most of those smaller mole hills in MA will groom after a dump. As for Liftopia, I'm pretty sure you can buy a ticket up until the midnight before.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, there is probably a reason your pass was only $275. I'm guessing you're not a student. You could have spent over $800 on a pass to Jiminy. Pretty steep, but at least you'd be skiing right now instead of writing about not skiing.
That's wrong that most of smaller mole hills in western MA will groom after dump. I made a list in my earlier post of a few that don't.
I am sking right now at every other ski hill in ct. THey've been open for about a month. I've had some pow days too.(light pow obviously)

Jiminy peak sucks. They groom nearly everything flat. It's an absolute rip off what what it offers. It's a half size stratton with half the snowfall charging nearly as much. Might as well head 1/2 hour north of jiminy peak to mount snow for 10 times the mountain, double the natural snowfall, and actual ungroomed powder. It's a complete rip off at 67 bucks for a lift ticket during a weekday. 75 bucks on holidays! That's vt pricing. Weekdays.... Catamount charges 30, butternut 25. Bosquet is only 40 on weekends. 10 bucks on thursday night. Jiminy peak was developed as place for people from tri-state area to sell them condo's and b.s. resort crap/valet parking to people who don't realize their getting half the mountain of what's just a 1/2 hour away. I'd never go to jiminy if I was head to the berkshires It would be bosquet(25 bucks for lift ticket weekdays), berkshire east, or catamount on powder day. On non powder day butternut would be an option.

If jiminy lowered their price to a more reasonable level and left a few more trails ungroomed they'd be good. Unfortunately it's been made into a "resort" instead of a local ski hill so they'll never lower their prices.

Last edited:

Bene288

That's wrong that most of smaller mole hills in western MA will groom after dump. I made a list in my earlier post of a few that don't.
I am sking right now at every other ski hill in ct. THey've been open for about a month. I've had some pow days too.(light pow obviously)

Jiminy peak sucks. They groom nearly everything flat. It's an absolute rip off what what it offers. It's a half size stratton with half the snowfall charging nearly as much. Might as well head 1/2 north of jiminy peak to mount snow for 10 times the mountain, double the natural snowfall, and actual ungroomed powder. It's a complete rip off at 67 bucks for a lift ticket during a weekday. 75 bucks on holidays! That's vt pricing. Weekdays.... Catamount charges 30, butternut 25. Bosquet is only 40 on weekends. 10 bucks on thursday night. Jiminy peak was developed as place for people from tri-state area to sell them condo's and b.s. resort crap/valet parking to people who don't realize their getting half the mountain of what's just a 1/2 hour away. I'd never go to jiminy if I was head to the berkshires It would be bosquet(25 bucks for lift ticket weekdays), berkshire east, or catamount on powder day. On non powder day butternut would be an option.

Yes they are over priced, groom everything flat and in my opinion have weak terrain. But they know how to blow snow and have been open with a very solid base since November.

It sounds like you can't get over spending more than $25 on a lift ticket. It's an expensive sport, $275 for an adult season pass is dirt cheap. You expect Mount Snow and Stratton snow making capabilities at a hill that only charges $275 for a season pass?

gmcunni

Could be a sweet end of week for PR-

Middlefield, CT forecast -
Wednesday Night

A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday

Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 22. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday Night

Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday

A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 17. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 1.

Saturday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 24.

Snowlover

Yes they are over priced, groom everything flat and in my opinion have weak terrain. But they know how to blow snow and have been open with a very solid base since November.

It sounds like you can't get over spending more than $25 on a lift ticket. It's an expensive sport, $275 for an adult season pass is dirt cheap. You expect Mount Snow and Stratton snow making capabilities at a hill that only charges $275 for a season pass?
I don't expect mount snow snow making capabilities. They don't need that capability. It's a tiny area with tiny vertical. I expect mount southington snow making capablities. If they had that, they would have been open weeks ago.
Bene...If you were from this area and knew local places around here you'd understand. Don't promise something you can't deliver. Powder ridge expects to compete with mount southington. They didn't deliver. I bought that pass early. Current price pass is 550, which is more than mount southington. Southington has been open with a couple feet base for weeks now. They've been 100% open for a quite a while Powder ridge can't even get a single trail open.

steamboat1

Jiminy peak sucks. They groom nearly everything flat. It's an absolute rip off what what it offers. It's a half size stratton with half the snowfall charging nearly as much. Might as well head 1/2 hour north of jiminy peak to mount snow for 10 times the mountain, double the natural snowfall, and actual ungroomed powder.
Tuna speed.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
$500 for a season's pass to Southington!? Ha ha! So not worth it! I grew up skiing these places and I don't miss them not one bit. I sincerely feel sorry for you all.

Snowlover

$500 for a season's pass to Southington!? Ha ha! So not worth it! I grew up skiing these places and I don't miss them not one bit. I sincerely feel sorry for you all.
It's actually 600 if you buy after nov 1.Yeah prices are insane. It's a golf course hill with a few lifts. Fun place for sure, but totally overpriced for what they offer. It's a real short season too with constant thaws. Sundown is around 56 bucks for a lift ticket even on weekdays. All those rich kid's in avon with mommies money to spend unfortunately drive up what the resort charges. Thank god sundown's got the 2 hour ticket on weekdays for 32 bucks or I'd never go.

Oh and I'm sure the people living in salt lake city feel sorry for you living in nh ;)

Last edited:

ScottySkis

it is true. not that you can get from JP to MS in 30 minutes but from CT the trip to JP is not a very direct one. lots of non-highway driving. 2:15 door to door for me to JP, 2:45 door to door to MS.
+1 I wish it was easier to get to Mountain Snow from NY. If it was about 30 minutes from I 87 Troy that would. Be awesome . Instead of an hour 20 minutes of three mountain pass roads I probably have a season pass to Mount Snow. Sorry for hijacking

Snowlover

Powder ridge has ONE trail open from the top today and their charging full price for lift tickets today. 50 bucks for 4 hours ticket. What a joke.