• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

Snowlover

sucks living here in CT

snowlover, where you live at? i'm in Monroe.
I live near powder ridge. I was actually one of the people that got suckered into buying a season pass. I bought it because it was 275 bucks compared to around 500 for a southington pass. That won't happen again. I'm getting a southington pass next time. I just wish it was cheaper. It's so expensive for such a small area with a borderline climate.
Things I dislike about the ridge:
#1 Powder ridge will groom everything flat from a overnight natural snowstorm and since I love skiing powder that sucks big time. We get a few dumps a year at least and if you're local you can hit it. Southington/sundown both leave some trails untouched. Does anyone know if mohawk leaves trails untouched? I really like that mountain and it's affordable during the week.

For people in the area who are wondering since I've never seen this listed anywhere----
Butternut grooms totally flat, which really sucks since that would be a good place with the high speed quads and early closing for powder dumps. Catamount/bosquet/berkshire east leave trails untouched. Jiminy peak leaves like 2 trails untouched, but it's a complete waste to only have that few trails with freshies at a resort that size. It will tracked out in 30 seconds. So basically consider jiminy completely groomed flat and it's as expensive at vt anyway with half the size of any vt mountain. Wachusett seems too crowded to ever score powder. But maybe someone scored there. I don't know. That basically sums up southern new england south of vt.

#2 Powder ridge has too much emphasis on freestyle terrain/airbags ect. It's not really a place that serves my needs. It's for complete beginners that have no idea how to ski/snowboard and for intermediate freestyle stuff/rails ect. That seems to be who it's marketing towards. It's not a recreational skier's hill. Southington just has one trail with freestyle that is roped off. Not hating on terrain park bro's. Just saying what I prefer.

#3 Helmet requirement. It's a golf course hill. Not a super g course. lol If you want to wear helmet....totally cool, but you should have choice.

#4 This is the obvious. There's NO SNOW. It's completely mismanaged so far. They seem to have set up a pattern of false promises. They are still closed again tomorrow since they probably have zero snowpack.

Last edited:

steamboat1

I live near powder ridge. I was actually one of the people that got suckered into buying a season pass. I bought it because it was 275 bucks compared to around 500 for a southington pass. That won't happen again. I'm getting a southington pass next time. I just wish it was cheaper. It's so expensive for such a small area with a borderline climate.
My midweek season pass for K was $454 with tax (early purchase price).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
^^
Why judge before you've even tried the place with new management? You don't know they will groom everything (they have 2 natural trails, so at least 2 trails will be left untouched). Sucks with your season pass, but if you "knew" they would groom everything, "knew" they would emphasize on the terrain parks, and knew about the helmet rule, why did you get the pass?!?!?

I put the "knew"'s in quotes because you really don't know, because they haven't opened yet and you haven't skied their yet.

Snowlover

My midweek season pass for K was $454 with tax (early purchase price).
lol....damn...Ct ski area's are so overpriced. That's what you get when you have all those teenie boppers from avon flooding sundown with their parents money. Southington has 325 vertical. I looked at a topography map. Forget what the resort publishes. 325 vertical with 40 inch average snowfall with a few trails should not cost 500 bucks for a season pass. It's outrageous. But what are we going to do? We live here.

steamboat1

lol....damn...Ct ski area's are so overpriced. That's what you get when you have all those teenie boppers from avon flooding sundown with their parents money. Southington has 325 vertical. I looked at a topography map. Forget what the resort publishes. 325 vertical with 40 inch average snowfall with a few trails should not cost 500 bucks for a season pass. It's outrageous. But what are we going to do? We live here.
And I live in Brooklyn.

Snowlover

^^
Why judge before you've even tried the place with new management? You don't know they will groom everything (they have 2 natural trails, so at least 2 trails will be left untouched). Sucks with your season pass, but if you "knew" they would groom everything, "knew" they would emphasize on the terrain parks, and knew about the helmet rule, why did you get the pass?!?!?

I put the "knew"'s in quotes because you really don't know, because they haven't opened yet and you haven't skied their yet.
I talked to the management. They told me unequivocally that everything will be groomed flat. And I didn't talk to a receptionist. I talked to the boss. Will that policy change? Maybe? I'm not even sure the owner is a skier? Completely ridiculous. Especially with all the wide ski's being sold nowadays. You don't even need a steep slope to have fun in the freshies.

I didn't know about the helmet rule when I bought the pass. I only feel suckered because I could have bought a southington pass instead! I got my money back from powder ridge. I obviously bought the pass because it was only 275 bucks, but I bought that expecting the place to open at around the same time as southington. I feel more dissapointed that powder ridge will probably not be the place for me :(

Last edited:

Snowlover

And I live in Brooklyn.
That's completely insane to buy a season pass at killington while living in BK, unless you're very wealthy and have a condo/afford a hotel up there for extended periods. Most people can't. Consider yourself blessed if you can and stop hating on us from ct.

steamboat1

That's completely insane to buy a season pass at killington while living in BK, unless you're very wealthy and have a condo/afford a hotel up there for extended periods. Most people can't. Consider yourself blessed if you can and stop hating on us from ct.
Been buying the same pass for over 10 years. I ski around other places to. If you can't afford $24 per night lodging with breakfast it's time to look for another job. Not hating on CT., just laughing at you complaining about CT. snow reports.

Snowlover

Been buying the same pass for over 10 years. I ski around other places to. If you can't afford $24 per night lodging with breakfast it's time to look for another job. Not hating on CT., just laughing at you complaining about CT. snow reports.
Ummm....you're so pompous. Where's the ignore feature on here? Some people have trouble even putting food on the table you arrogant ass.

emmaurice2

Hopefully all of these concerns are being brought up with the management in a productive way so that things can change for the better. It would be a shame for the area to go dark again, but that's what will happen if they don't take heed to what paying customers are saying.

Snowlover

Hopefully all of these concerns are being brought up with the management in a productive way so that things can change for the better. It would be a shame for the area to go dark again, but that's what will happen if they don't take heed to what paying customers are saying.
+1 I really hope they don't go under again. That would suck big time.

steamboat1

^^

That escalated quickly. 45 minutes and 7 posts. That *MAY* be a new record for Steamy in the shortest time it took him to piss someone off.

Not surprising though.

I'm a nice guy. I just laugh at people complaining about how far they have to drive or about conditions or ski schools for that matter. If you pay attention to what I try to tell some people you might learn something about being able to ski affordably.

powhunter

Wonder if PR has the same problems they had when previously open....You should give SD a shot..They tend not to groom after significant snow...Best hill in CT by far!!

Steveo