• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge

mlctvt

Looks like Powder Ridge is hoping to open this year? Their website is up and much new info. http://powderridgepark.com/category/news/ They'll be requiring helmets for everyone. One interesting thing is the sale of "flex time" lift tickets. I doubt I'll ski here even though it's close to home but it's nice to see it getting back open after all these years. Great for the kids in the area too. I had many good times here while in High School and college in the late 70s and early 80s. Night skiing 10pm-3am Friday and Saturday nights was our favorite.

Last edited:

ZOG

Sean Hayes is a class act. He's just what that area needed to be viable. He's been very successful opening and running the Brownstone Water Park in Portland, CT. He has big plans, and the money to carry them out. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the area will be supported by CT skiers.

bheemsoth

I'm interested to see how this plays out. Since I moved from West Hartford to Middletown, Sundown is too far to justify night skiing, so I'm hoping this place proves decent enough to be worth a 10 minute drive after a good storm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

emmaurice2

Facebook page says they plan to open on the 20th of December. It's hard for me to justify an hour drive to ski there, except to cross it off my list. Regardless, I'm always happy when a "lost area" comes back to life.

planb420

I'll hit it once just to see what's what....that's about it

Sent from my DROID4 using AlpineZone mobile app

C-Rex

I actually think it will be cool for the park crowd. From what the rep said at the Hartford Ski and Sun Expo, they plan to have a lot of specialized terrain. i.e. parks and bumps, not just groomed trails.

However, I'm more excited for the mountain biking possibilites. If they turn it into a true bike park it'll be huge. The next closest places are Highland in NH and Mountain Creek in NJ, both of which are around 3 hours away. And if you've ever ridden/skied at bike park trail, you know how fun those can be with snow on them. I rode a few of Catamounts bike trails a couple years ago. Ladder drops are a blast in the snow!

Domeskier

Yeah, and with their Sundown level prices, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. They do have a two hour ticket, though. Maybe a detour on my way to Torrington some day....

planb420

So EVERY ski area in CT is open and PR is STILL just offering a "Jib Area":thumbdown:.......damn I feel so sorry for anyone who bought a pass there! :sadwalk:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Domeskier

It's by the LI Sound. It's always 5-10 degrees warmer there. It's there first season, give them a break. I wouldn't judge until you try the terrain.

These guys need to work out a bus deal from the city. Might provide a good alternative to the Poconos for some. Assuming they want bus loads of New Yorkers filling up the place.

ScottySkis

These guys need to work out a bus deal from the city. Might provide a good alternative to the Poconos for some. Assuming they want bus loads of New Yorkers filling up the place.

Lots of NYC buses go to Catskills and south Vermont.

Domeskier

Lots of NYC buses go to Catskills and south Vermont.

Yeah, but I like the idea of having some closer options (not sure how much closer Powder Ridge would be than the Cats, though). The train to Thunder Ridge sounds pretty cool, but it looks like what they have to offer is on par with Campgaw.

EDIT: Ok- googled it. Powder Ridge is maybe 25 miles closer to NYC than Hunter. I'm not sure that's enough to attract the "I hate the bus" crowd. Maybe they can do a shuttle from the New Haven line on Metro North.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Oh! Do they! When I instructed back in the eighties (that's the 19 eighties) they would bus them in by the ... bus load. One there was a quite obese sistah from Joisey fell during the lesson. She could NOT get up. She then says to the instructor (not me) "Hep me up white boy!" the instructor stood for a moment trying to figure out a nice way to her how get herself up, couldn't and skied away.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
I bought 2 passes and I'm beginning to regret it... Here's a pic that someone took there yesterday... 1537871_10151825468062116_507084060_o.jpg
So EVERY ski area in CT is open and PR is STILL just offering a "Jib Area":thumbdown:.......damn I feel so sorry for anyone who bought a pass there! :sadwalk:

planb420

Also overheard from some "folks in the know" that PR is missing some very crucial parts of the snowmaking infrastructure. Heard this sometime last week though so not sure if they got the stuff in they need ...(But I doubt it)