• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

drjeff

A classic "first chair, first barstool" kind of weekend shaping up!

Mount Snow for me on Saturday, Magic on Sunday for my son's race (expect about 120 or so race suit clad 10 and 11 yr old there on Showoff with associated parents on Sunday) and then over to Willard Mtn outside of Albany, NY for my daughter's race on MLK day

dlague

Meanwhile Colorado, Utah and California are getting pounded so much so that there have been delayed openings - how ironic. A Basin reported 40 inches in the past three days and Crested Butte reported 66 in the past 7 days. And there is more on the way.

My advice head west!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

My advice head west!

A few days ago when I realized how bad the conditions would be this weekend I looked into that, but I deemed the flights too pricey for a few days of skiing..

Congratulations on avoiding MLK weekend. I can't imagine anything more depressing.

I never really find it all that bad, but I tend to go to the places that the crowds avoid on holiday weekends.

cdskier

I feel really badly for you, because so far this season has been off to a very good start. I have had better days already than I did at any time last year.

I agree. Some of those December days were incredible. Only downside is my legs weren't ready for them so I couldn't ski as much as I would have liked to. As for January, while the weather hasn't been ideal with the ups and downs, the skiing this past weekend was decent. This coming weekend might be a bit crappy, but I think we'll still have more base left (particularly on the upper half of the mountains) than at almost any point last year. Couple that with the fact that we still have a long season ahead of us and we're in vastly better shape than last year.

JDMRoma

A classic "first chair, first barstool" kind of weekend shaping up!

May even need a breakfast Beer while booting up.

As long as our favorite run is still open

Banshee to Bar Glade 🍻

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

Meanwhile Colorado, Utah and California are getting pounded so much so that there have been delayed openings - how ironic. A Basin reported 40 inches in the past three days and Crested Butte reported 66 in the past 7 days. And there is more on the way.

My advice head west!

According to my friend in Silverthorne, A Basin is closed. Crested Butte is also closed for "too much snow" :lol:. She said that they calling this the largest storm in over 20 years in Summit County. Son is stuck on the west side of Berthoud (Winter Park) as US 40 is closed. Had to make him a hotel reservation. And I skied dust on crust today at Camelback, what am I doing wrong?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

slatham

The more I look at the forecast models the more this weekend is really going to highlight those who have invested, and will use, their snowmaking systems. Everyone gets rain and into the 40's Wed/Thur. Then it looks like all areas North of I90 will have snowmaking temps around sunrise Friday, and will get ideal+ conditions Friday night into the rest of the weekend. This will allow a full 24 hours before day 1 of MLK weekend and 48 hours for the core day of Sunday. Will be interesting to see who lights it up.......

Sons of Thunder

The more I look at the forecast models the more this weekend is really going to highlight those who have invested, and will use, their snowmaking systems. Everyone gets rain and into the 40's Wed/Thur. Then it looks like all areas North of I90 will have snowmaking temps around sunrise Friday, and will get ideal+ conditions Friday night into the rest of the weekend. This will allow a full 24 hours before day 1 of MLK weekend and 48 hours for the core day of Sunday. Will be interesting to see who lights it up.......

Rich will get richer, poor will hang on desperately.

drjeff

The reality is in the Northeast, if you're committed to skiing as much as possible, you're going to have post freeze up, firm days.

If you ski in the Northeast and are primarily a weekend warrior and just go when conditions are "good" you won't be skiing a whole lot of days most years!

I'd much rather have a firm, crowded, post freeze up day on the hill, than not be on the hill at all!! This is why in the Northeast, having a ski that's under 85 in the waist, with a sub 15m radius sidecut and some well tuned edges are an important tool in one's quiver, and usually way more used than a pair of 100+ waist, full rocker powder skis in the East!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

becca m

totally agree with drjeff!!!! I would go so far as to say that, as a snowboarder, I spend a fair amount of time on 2 planks because when it's icy, i'd rather be skiing than not being on the hill at all :)

dlague

The problem is the snowmaking systems can not cover all of the terrain precious open. So reports will pick runs that the snow will stay on. Another alternative will be to churn up the base the best they can and then apply a this layer to get open as much as possible. Get the cat on soon could be good to at least create corduroy then coat with snowmaking or they wait for some draining hoping that it does not freeze too fast then till the base with some snowmaking or not.

Sons of Thunder

The reality is in the Northeast, if you're committed to skiing as much as possible, you're going to have post freeze up, firm days.

If you ski in the Northeast and are primarily a weekend warrior and just go when conditions are "good" you won't be skiing a whole lot of days most years!

I'd much rather have a firm, crowded, post freeze up day on the hill, than not be on the hill at all!! This is why in the Northeast, having a ski that's under 85 in the waist, with a sub 15m radius sidecut and some well tuned edges are an important tool in one's quiver, and usually way more used than a pair of 100+ waist, full rocker powder skis in the East!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Absolutely spot on, a day on the slopes is better than not being there at all. I think the key to NE skiing/riding is also having a flexible schedule. You need to closely monitor conditions and pick your spots. I am working offsite until the end of Jan so I can afford to skip out the next week due to the conditions. But under normal circumstances I'd probably be out there with the masses, having a hell of a time while muttering about ice under my breath.

HD333

With the thaw, rain, freeze cycle coming up for NH I think I may skip this weekend. Pats are on Sat night so not a total loss of a ski weekend. Maybe do a day trip on Monday if things look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk