• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Presidents Day Weekend - Catskills? PA?

tnt1234

Was hoping to do an overnight in S. Vt. or Plattekill, but it's not gonna work out. So day tripping with my daughters Saturday.

Had a great day at Belleayre last weekend, and that's probably where we will end up again, but thoughts on alternatives? We're coming form Central NJ. Bell is about 2:45-3:00 from us, and that 's the limit of my day tripping range.

Crowds of course are a concern, so Elk was on my mind, maybe Montage which I've never been to, but looks kind of small and tame...but I hear it never gets crowded.

Hunter of course will be a zoo, but the faster lifts might gooble the lines up? And once you get over to the west side, maybe that's a better play?

Hard to argue with Belleayre open 100%, dream catcher glade skiing so nicely last weekend.....

Any other NJ folks day tripping this weekend? Where you heading?

drjeff

I think the reality is, given the holiday weekend, given all the new snow, given the great looking sunny weather and comfortable temps predicted, that you're going to be hearing of record crowds from many resorts this weekend....

Even the places that historically don't get too crowded, might actually be "crowded" by their standards this weekend. It's almost the "perfect storm" to get BIG crowds out on the hill this weekend the way it's looking right now

cdskier

I posted in the Catskills trip advice thread about this yesterday. I'm planning on hopefully day-tripping up to the Catskills 2 days. Platty Saturday and maybe Belleayre Monday would be my initial thoughts for me. I haven't been to Belleayre in 5-6 years and I've really had this desire lately to go back.

tnt1234

I posted in the Catskills trip advice thread about this yesterday. I'm planning on hopefully day-tripping up to the Catskills 2 days. Platty Saturday and maybe Belleayre Monday would be my initial thoughts for me. I haven't been to Belleayre in 5-6 years and I've really had this desire lately to go back.

Oh - I didn't see that Catskils thread...would have just posted there...

How far is Platty for you? I really want to go there Saturday, but just can't stomach a total of 7 hours in the car.

cdskier

Platty is about 2.5 hours for me. I can make it to Belleayre in 2.

goldsbar

Go with the expectations that it will be a zoo and you won't be disappointed. Recent snowfall + near 50 degree temps + President's Day weekend + decent economy = ski resorts dream. The place won't matter. Plattekill probably the best, but you need to be willing to drive the extra 25 minutes. Outside of Platty, your choice on faster lift lines and more crowded trails (Hunter) vs. slower lifts and less trail crowding (Elk). Belleayre somewhere in the middle. "Faster" and "less" are all relative this weekend.

tnt1234

Go with the expectations that it will be a zoo and you won't be disappointed. Recent snowfall + near 50 degree temps + President's Day weekend + decent economy = ski resorts dream. The place won't matter. Plattekill probably the best, but you need to be willing to drive the extra 25 minutes. Outside of Platty, your choice on faster lift lines and more crowded trails (Hunter) vs. slower lifts and less trail crowding (Elk). Belleayre somewhere in the middle. "Faster" and "less" are all relative this weekend.

Yeah, it will be what it will be....

Just hope the quad doesn't break down at Bell again!

Rowsdower

PA will be packed to the gills. Maybe try Elk? But then you might as well just make the drive up to the Catskills. Hunter will be more crowded than Belleayre. Platty is the place to be on Sunday, but I wonder if the woods will still be in play by then what with the warm weather.

kingslug

Platty is still the best bet for crowd control..I have never been there in a crowd..its just too far off the path. I'm deciding between it and Mt snow..but I know Mt snow will be a zoo. It will have better conditions overall as Saturdays warmup and refreeze will make it a bit firm at Platt in the early hours..VT is staying cold. And it only 30 miles from Platt. Decisions decisions...

yeggous

Go as far north as you possibly can. If Gore is as far north as you can make it, do Gore.

It's absolutely dumping in the White Mountains right now. There's a reason they're called the Whites. #WhiteMountainsMatter

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

Got a question. Outside of Monday, how many schools take the whole week off anymore? In our town, when my kids went to school, it started with them getting a week and then it was cut to like Monday or maybe Friday and Monday. They basically voted it out.

I will be in PA, getting yo-yo runs in early (1st tracks), fixed grips and bumps.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tnt1234

Got a question. Outside of Monday, how many schools take the whole week off anymore? In our town, when my kids went to school, it started with them getting a week and then it was cut to like Monday or maybe Friday and Monday. They basically voted it out.

I will be in PA, getting yo-yo runs in early (1st tracks), fixed grips and bumps.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Ours are off friday. But I'm working friday and monday, so it's kind of a drag.

Where you going? CB?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think the reality is, given the holiday weekend, given all the new snow, given the great looking sunny weather and comfortable temps predicted, that you're going to be hearing of record crowds from many resorts this weekend....

Even the places that historically don't get too crowded, might actually be "crowded" by their standards this weekend. It's almost the "perfect storm" to get BIG crowds out on the hill this weekend the way it's looking right now

Yep. I'm skiing Magic tomorrow, Killington Friday, and then getting the hell out-of-dodge for what will most likely be a historic weekend in the NE. Going south on 91 on Friday from Killington I'll pass the Brattleboro bridge construction, which will assuredly be backed up beyond belief going north :eek:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

If was crazy enogh to ski this weekend in Pa. It would at be Elk.....

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Platty is still the best bet for crowd control..I have never been there in a crowd..its just too far off the path. I'm deciding between it and Mt snow..but I know Mt snow will be a zoo. It will have better conditions overall as Saturdays warmup and refreeze will make it a bit firm at Platt in the early hours..VT is staying cold. And it only 30 miles from Platt. Decisions decisions...

30 miles?
You better recheck that..........

4aprice

Ours are off friday. But I'm working friday and monday, so it's kind of a drag.

Where you going? CB?

Yep, CBK.

If was crazy enogh to ski this weekend in Pa. It would at be Elk.....

I have a slightly different theory. On a weekend like this or MLK or Christmas week everywhere is going to be crowded. I'm not going to get in the car and travel hours to stand in lines elsewhere. The best part of the season is just about to begin and there will be plenty of good weekends to hit up north "sans" the crowds. If it gets too silly at CBK, its only a 45 min ride home.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yep, CBK.

I have a slightly different theory. On a weekend like this or MLK or Christmas week everywhere is going to be crowded. I'm not going to get in the car and travel hours to stand in lines elsewhere. The best part of the season is just about to begin and there will be plenty of good weekends to hit up north "sans" the crowds. If it gets too silly at CBK, its only a 45 min ride home.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

6 Minute top to bottom runs are common at CBK , first hour or two should be fun . Bumps everywhere in Pa. will be fun this weekend ,also least crowded trails.