• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

pro sports and $$$

chase

Is anyone else turned off by pro-sports because of the HUGE checks that the athletes get?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
that, and trying to decipher constantly changing blackout restrictions (which are only in place to attempt to increase advertising $$$ paid back to the league(s))

No...simply because they generate so much revenue from ticket sales, merchandise and television broadcast deals. If they weren't making so much money...then it would be in the owners pockets and the owners are generally a heck of alot wealthier than the players. Some people blame high pro athlete salaries on the high ticket prices at major league sporting events but it's all supply and demand. Most pro sports franchises have no trouble selling tickets and some teams like the Red Sox along with most NFL teams sell out every game..Yes the price of going to a pro sporting event is a major expenditure for a lower middle class family like going skiing at a major destination resort but there are minor league options available that are much more reasonable for families.

I've never been one to criticize the high salaries of pro athletes or CEOs for that matter...if they bust ass to get to that point..they deserve the big bucks..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm more turned off by crooked investors / hedge fund managers that make gazillions and only pay 15% capital gains tax in the name of trickle down economics. :rolleyes: At least pro athletes pay their fair share in terms of income tax.

.....but that's life in a free market capitalistic society.

ski9

No...simply because they generate so much revenue from ticket sales, merchandise and television broadcast deals. If they weren't making so much money...then it would be in the owners pockets and the owners are generally a heck of alot wealthier than the players. Some people blame high pro athlete salaries on the high ticket prices at major league sporting events but it's all supply and demand. Most pro sports franchises have no trouble selling tickets and some teams like the Red Sox along with most NFL teams sell out every game..Yes the price of going to a pro sporting event is a major expenditure for a lower middle class family like going skiing at a major destination resort but there are minor league options available that are much more reasonable for families.

I've never been one to criticize the high salaries of pro athletes or CEOs for that matter...if they bust ass to get to that point..they deserve the big bucks..

Wow, I expected to disagree with you on something like this, but I think you're 100% correct. People who are faster, stronger, and smarter should get whatever the market commands. The caveat is in how they carry themselves with their wealth and talent. If Ocho Cinco acts like a douche, then he's a 35 million dollar douche compared to your average middle-class douche.

It sucks that it can cost hundreds of dollars to take your family to a MLB game, but as long as people are willing to buy the tickets and advertisers are willing to spend money, the free market system is great. Salary caps can help a little, but work more toward parody among teams.

dmc

No... It's America... Make as much legal $ as you can...

ComeBackMudPuddles

I'm more turned off by crooked investors / hedge fund managers that make gazillions and only pay 15% capital gains tax in the name of trickle down economics. :rolleyes: At least pro athletes pay their fair share in terms of income tax.

politics-alert.gif

ComeBackMudPuddles

All true....

But, assuming owners and players got the same percentage of revenue as they do know, I think we could all stand seeing lower ticket prices and, therefore, lower player salaries.

bigbog

1+....!!!!
...Exactly!!! I'd also say something political...but I'll keep quiet..!
DID feel that way about athletes for a little while...lonnnng ago, but salary is all governed by the wheeling & dealing between athlete's lawyers and the owners...plus I've seen how the athletes of days gone by....have gotten the shaft in the long run unless they got good advice along the way...and in those days, was mostly due to coming from white middle class families...imho.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is anyone else turned off by pro-sports because of the HUGE checks that the athletes get?

What about non main stream successes? I'm sure Tony Hawk has made tens of millions....read somewhere Jon Olson has made a mint in skiing

I don't disagree, but, it's a little sad that that's what America has come to stand for.

Stuff is expensive here in these United States..you have to try to make as much money as possible to afford everything that's out there. Once I became a skier..I knew that I was going to have to make at least a decent amount of money to pay for my skiing habit..enjoying going to nice restaurants and travelling adds to it..

ERJ-145CA

Since it's the players who actually generate the revenue by getting people to come to the game and watch it on TV they should get a large chunk of the revenue. Nobody would pay to watch the owner and managers sit around a table. If only it was the same for the average worker who actually produces the product or performs the service to make the owner rich.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No... It's America... Make as much legal $ as you can...

I don't disagree, but, it's a little sad that that's what America has come to stand for.

You guys are being overly cynical. And coming from me, that's saying something.

The United States is still overwhemingly the most charitable nation on the planet-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16638810/

A country's social and political cultures influence how much money citizens give to charity, according to a November 2006 study by England's Charities Aid Foundation that ranks philanthropic donation as a percentage of gross domestic product. Among nations surveyed, these 10 are the most generous.

• 1. United States, 1.67 percent of GDP
• 2. United Kingdom, 0.73
• 3. Canada, 0.72
• 4. Australia, 0.69
• 5. South Africa, 0.64
• 6. Ireland, 0.47
• 7. Netherlands, 0.45
• 8. Singapore, 0.29
• 9. New Zealand, 0.29
• 10. Turkey, 0.23

mondeo

Makes me just as mad as it does that Ferrari are so expensive. In fact, I'm boycotting Ferrari until they bring their prices down!

In all seriousness, it doesn't bother me a bit. Why would it? Access to entertainment from pro sports is not a right. If I deem watching a sporting event to be worth $50, why should I gripe that the athlete is making so much money? I knew the price of the ticket, and deemed it an acceptable use of my money. If it isn't worth $50, I won't go. Again, no right for me to complain about how much money they're making, although I can see being disappointed in it not being a better value. But that's true of anything in life, not just pro sports. Absolutely no different to anything else, from Ferraris to pens.

Disproving once and for all the theory that it's never OK to bring a knife to a gun fight.