• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

pro sports and $$$

chase

The money involved in pro-sports doesn't bother me, I understand thats how capitalism works. I think some big fans of pro-sports see the teams as representations of their respected city. I kinda feel that way about college teams but I see pro-sports as just being a business. And yes I am aware that many d1 athletes are given some money by the university for their own personal use.

Hawkshot99

I do wish that sporting games were cheaper so i could attend more of them. However I think it is ok for the athletes/owners to make what they do. If people are willing to pay $100 to watch, why should the athletes/owners let them in for $10 and lose profit?

deadheadskier

Staff member

dmc

politics-alert.gif

WTF? Is that supposed to mean!?!?!?!

You saying Democrats carry guns and republicans carry swords...??

I don't think Sarah Palin would prefer a sword over a gun...

I think what's more bothersome than the amount of money they make is the amount of money they blow.

Apparently 60% of athletes go broke within five years of retirement

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/299119

Same is true of lottery winners

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...oney/8lotteryWinnersWhoLostTheirMillions.aspx

kind of frustrating when so many struggle to make their ends meet and yet the people who have the financial opportunity of a lifetime blow it.

I don't find it frustrating...I just laugh..hasn't anybody learned anything from MC Hammer..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't find it frustrating...I just laugh..hasn't anybody learned anything from MC Hammer..

I don't know if frustrating is the word....I guess it is in some cases. You read about certain athletes who are broke having fathered 8 kids with 7 different women.....or the big lottery winner who know lives in a trailer and collects food stamps. They just don't realize how privileged they are and how if they manage the money properly they can do a lot of good for their families and community.

ctenidae

People spending money stupidly is what keeps the economy going. We need the fools and their money.

If you want to spend $100 to see a game, go for it. Personally, I don't.

I don't know if frustrating is the word....I guess it is in some cases. You read about certain athletes who are broke having fathered 8 kids with 7 different women.....or the big lottery winner who know lives in a trailer and collects food stamps. They just don't realize how privileged they are and how if they manage the money properly they can do a lot of good for their families and community.

For sure..unfortunately most lottery winners and pro-athletes aren't very bright..